ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 6 thread.

Leon Cupra 300
SIM-free unlocked is always the way forward with these devices. Screw getting tied into 2-year contracts and bloated monthly payments for a luxury item that will have lost its shine in half that time.

I do of course appreciate that not everyone has the cash to blow on a £700 phone, but meh. If you can't afford it, don't buy it, has always been my view.

I generally agree...

I was looking at the same deal as mine but sim only, plus the cost of the phone, it works out around £40 more over the 2 years than paying an inflated monthly cost (or phone on credit!)

£40 is £40 after all!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I generally agree...

I was looking at the same deal as mine but sim only, plus the cost of the phone, it works out around £40 more over the 2 years than paying an inflated monthly cost (or phone on credit!)

£40 is £40 after all!

See my calcs previous page. Cheaper to do a contract with the pricing of plans now.

Leon Cupra 300
See my calcs previous page. Cheaper to do a contract with the pricing of plans now.

Yeah.. I went for the contract as it was cheaper, not hugely but it all helps.

24 months suits me, my next will probably be the '7'

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Its no different to getting a 6, 5, or 4 on 1gb, it makes no difference. If you buy a contract you buy as much data as you use in average, if you're paying for 4gb of data but only use a couple of hundred Meg a month then you're just chucking money down the drain.

Well it just seemed to me like the sole reason for getting a Plus would be extra big screen for browsing and perhaps streaming movies etc. all of which is data related... but as he's explained, he's usually on Wi-Fi. Fair does :) I have 8Gb per month atm but I seem to regularly go over the 5Gb mark, and they haven't got 8Gb as an option this year, so opted for 10Gb instead of 5Gb.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Calcs:

Both are for 4GB of 4G data, unlimited texts and calls on Vodafone.

12 Month Sim only:

£619 for phone
£21.60 a month over 24 months on a 12 month sim only plan

24 month cost = £1137.40

24 Month Pay monthly plan

£129 for phone
£38.80 a month for 24 months

24 month cost = £1060.20

I ways ALWAYS a 12 month man before.
thats because you are comparing vodafone though, with three the same sim only deal is only £18 a month, so over 2 years thats £1051.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Well it just seemed to me like the sole reason for getting a Plus would be extra big screen for browsing and perhaps streaming movies etc. all of which is data related... but as he's explained, he's usually on Wi-Fi. Fair does :) I have 8Gb per month atm but I seem to regularly go over the 5Gb mark, and they haven't got 8Gb as an option this year, so opted for 10Gb instead of 5Gb.
regularly go over 5gb!!!!!

i currently have a 500mb plan and never go over it, I'm using my phone all the time

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered a 64Gb space grey with vodafone, finally got friends and family, so it brings a baller spec plan down to like £38.50

4GB of 4G data, unlimted everything else. £129 for the phone.

Is this the deal that would originally be £48.50 without the discount? If so, its the same I'm also looking at doing.

I've had a 4 for 3-4 years and spent the past 15 months with a cracked front screen!

Due an upgrade with O2. Here are some figures quoted today...

O2 (4G) 64Gb (iphone6) with 2Gb data

£48 /month and £10 phone upfront
£43/month and £120 phone upfront
£38/month and £200 phone upfront

O2 (4G) 64Gb (iphone6 plus) with 2Gb data

£48/month and £70 phone
£43/month and £179 phone
£38/month and £269 phone

Also been offered £90 for a 16Gb iPhone 4S - cash.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
SIM-free unlocked is always the way forward with these devices. Screw getting tied into 2-year contracts and bloated monthly payments for a luxury item that will have lost its shine in half that time.

I do of course appreciate that not everyone has the cash to blow on a £700 phone, but meh. If you can't afford it, don't buy it, has always been my view.

Not always, if we compare the two over 24 months...

From Apple iPhone 6 64Gb is £619 + £23 p/m SIM only deal on EE = £1,171

EE 24 month contract iPhone 6 64Gb is £360 + £34 p/m = £1,176

I appreciate the Apple one is cheaper by £5 but, you're only getting 4Gb data on that, whereas EE contract will give you 10Gb... well worth the extra 21p p/m lol.

I guess you're also saying you can get another phone after 12/18 months or whatever, which is a point. I've never actually gone 24 months before but I think the need to upgrade is less and less these days. Years ago you really needed an upgrade because of new features, better internals etc. which really made a difference. Now, not so much. Plus, if it comes to it, there's nothing stopping me from buying the iPhone 6S off my own back anyway!

Just had a phone call off three again, they have the 6+ in stock but i can't pay £56 a month for the next 2 year, no chance I'm paying that!

Just worked it out and it's cheaper buying the phone outright and staying on my sim only deal with three.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR

i currently have a 500mb plan and never go over it, I'm using my phone all the time

Are you on Wi-Fi a lot too? We don't have it at work... a lot of my usage is also tethering to my Surface and my girlfriend's iPad.

I think now you pay such a premium for the iPhone it's ridiculous if you just want a new phone you can get some great deals the new moto x is free on all the plans listed if anyone facies breaking from ios

I wasn't really referring directly to ultimate costs. More just the fact that owning the handset outright gives you more options and flexibility. You're not tied in for two years.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
have to say the prices on phones are starting to get a little ridiculous.

maybe im getting too old and dare i say it, sensible.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I think the assumption is that if you are going for the phone with the mahoosive screen then you are more likely to be doing things like streaming movies or something to it, so thus would use more data.

youre right that if you use it for the same thing as any other iPhone then it won't use more data, but people with a phablet are probably going to use more data due to what they will use it for.

Nonsense. Most of the time i'm connected to wi-fi somewhere anywhere. Screen size is irrelevant to data use imo.

An orange one
have to say the prices on phones are starting to get a little ridiculous.

maybe im getting too old and dare i say it, sensible.

I'm the same mate, used to be in for each new phone but now I'm just a bit more laid back. It's just a phone and nobody really cares anyways.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

That's just ridiculous. Do you even speak to human people!

That's ridiculous.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm the same mate, used to be in for each new phone but now I'm just a bit more laid back. It's just a phone and nobody really cares anyways.

exactly. showing off only lasts until everyone gets one. then its just a slightly better, newer phone than the last one you had.

until you drop it and its subsequently worhtless

dk

911 GTS Cab
That's just ridiculous. Do you even speak to human people!

That's ridiculous.
how exactly does speaking to human people need data?

or are you agreeing with me that going over 5gb of data a month is a lot?

confused.

dk

911 GTS Cab
@dk are you on O2? I've heard somewhere they compress data? That's a very small amount.
yes I'm on o2, but i guess when I'm at home i have wifi, but still I'm on the road all the time.

i dont tether though, so maybe thats why.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
how exactly does speaking to human people need data?

or are you agreeing with me that going over 5gb of data a month is a lot?

confused.

To use 5gb your face must be in your phone 90% of the day.

dk

911 GTS Cab
ah so you're agreeing with me, you quoted me though!

anyway, just checked my data usage since january and most months ai use 150-200mb, the odd month i use 300 and one month i used 400.

i use my phone for whatsapp, Facebook, email, internet daily, but i don't stream stuff or use tethering, i use youtube though.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nonsense. Most of the time i'm connected to wi-fi somewhere anywhere. Screen size is irrelevant to data use imo.
the current iPhone is too small to watch films on though really, but the 6+ would make it closer to an iPad mini so would be worth it, so more likely to use it for streaming id say.

whether that was on wifi or data though really depends on the person it seems, just like i use 150mb a month and others use of 5gb a month, crazy difference.

Leon Cupra 300
In two 2 years I have never gone over my 1Gb allowance on my 5.

But then I use a television to watch films...

Same here, I used 700mb last month, that's why I've gone for 1GB again.

Even if you run out for the last couple of days it doesn't just switch off, just slows down (apparently)

I've used 2.4GB since September 2013. My 1GB allowance is sufficient.

WiFi at home, commute in a car, WiFi at the office.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You aren't getting one, not to worry, you will have one in about 2 months probably, no biggy

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I've use 28GB in 11 months. Thought it was more than that tbh, I have unlimited. Although I use data on my iPad during the day just as much too so combined its prob 50-60 GB.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I've use 28GB in 11 months. Thought it was more than that tbh, I have unlimited. Although I use data on my iPad during the day just as much too so combined its prob 50-60 GB.

How do you check how much data you have used each month ?