ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 3GS erratic battery.

I searched for this but couldn't immediately see any decent results, so sorry if it's been discussed a million times already.

As some may remember from earlier threads, the battery in my 3GS had been pretty impressive. It would last several days in standby. However, now it seems fucked.

Even in standby the battery drains very quickly. The other night it was on 45%. In the morning it was on 18% and complaining. Plug it in and it shoots up to 30% almost instantly, and is on 90% twenty minutes later. WTF? Google suggests I'm not alone. Considering there are lots of iPhone geeks on here, I thought I'd ask you guys if you've had similar problems?

This started happening maybe 2 days ago. I then upgraded to 3.1 but it's still the same. Some sources suggest that it's a software issue rather than a battery problem. However, since the iPhone shuts down at a low percentage, it doesn't really matter whether the OS thinks it's dead, or if it actually is dead.

I have minimal services switched on, and it seems to drain quickly even with wi-fi, push, bluetooth etc. off. I'm guessing I'll have to pop into an Apple store and get them to have a look.

s**t phone ;)

Ford Focus ST2
i had the same problem, fully charged to 100% and within 20 mins it would be down to 64%, phoned apple who said to switch of 3g and bluetooth, was told to restore to phone to factory default, and do not restore from a backup!

In the end i took it back to o2 store (within 14 days of having the phone) and it was replaced there and then.

I was told by apple support and apple store kingston they would not replace it, but they would sent it away for repair for free (as it is 100% a battery fault not software!)

Facelift R53 Cooper S
If it was doing it before 3.1 then that would suggest an actual problem with the battery i would've thought

Nope.

It's definitely fucked. The other day it was on 53% all day, then dropped in an instant to 30%. Switched it off, following morning it was on 9% and stayed like it all day before dying.

I'll be taking it back. In the meantime I'll have to use my spare 2G.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Mine has been similar, except can go down to 50%, restart and ts back up to 85%

its an intermittent problem so not sure the genius bar would replace it. My closest one is a 2 hour drive so dont wanna waste a day for nothing

In the interest of topic continuation and possibly closure;

Sneaky f**king iPhone 3GS Black 32GB. I last charged it on Tuesday night, and it's still going strong today, Sunday, on 25%. So basically, it's back to normal and holding up as well as it ever has. Awesomo 4000.

The downside is I have the worst hangover EVAAAA. FFS.

Apple are great with problems. I recently had mine swapped because of a crack near the docking port. Book an appointment and go and see them, they will sort it.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Do you use apps alot roy?

as i have the same 32gb and the battery will last about a day and a half without using apps/mail/net etc, but as soon i use the apps i go from 100% to about 57% in a space ov 3hours,

No. I don't tend to use apps much. Standby with a couple of calls a day and the odd SMS, it will normally last at least 4 days or longer. It's back to doing that now. Or at least it is on this charge cycle.

If it f***s up again, I'll definitely get it looked at. I'm abroad at the moment and can't be arsed worrying about it. I have my old 2G as a spare anyway.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
You JB'ed roy? if so, download sbssettings and check the process list, you will often find you've got programs running in the background that aren't meant to be and loads of useless memory strings taking it all up i had nothing running and it only had 40mb free memory the other day, clicked free memory and it magically found another 100mb. More processes obviously mean its doing more so battery drains

Nope. My 2G (on 3.0) is unlocked and jailbroken as I used it with several different SIMs, but I don't see the need with my 3GS TBH. I only really use it as a phone and occasional internet, and can't be arsed. The jailbreaking/unlocking scene doesn't interest me at the moment.

Although, yeah. I get your point about processes.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Even if its not jb'ed, there could be still lots of unnecessary s**t running, i wasn't saying the jb could be the issue was just saying if it was jb'ed you could investigate any rogue processes through it.

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER
No. I don't tend to use apps much. Standby with a couple of calls a day and the odd SMS, it will normally last at least 4 days or longer. It's back to doing that now. Or at least it is on this charge cycle.

If it f**ks up again, I'll definitely get it looked at. I'm abroad at the moment and can't be arsed worrying about it. I have my old 2G as a spare anyway.

4 days!

My 3GS struggles to get 4 hours usage with 20 hour standby!

Few phone calls, texts, bit of app use, bit of safari.
3g on/off doesnt make a difference either

dk

911 GTS Cab
i can't even see a 3gs on standby alone lasting for 4 days, you must turn it off at night or something, mine has last for 2 days just about when i didn't use it basically.

Black Gold 182 FF
Symptoms on mine since updating to 3.1 (since then to 3.1.2 with no change). All stuff that is not needed switched off (push,location etc).

Starts at 100% then drains normally to about 85% depending on use, then suddenly jumps to 62% and sits at that for about an hour regardless of use then drops to 35% and repeats till it drops to 10% and off. Lucky to get to lunch time with normal usage- used to go all day and still have about 50-60 on a night.

o2 shop said to bring it in for repair (poss 10 day turnaround, this is no good to me).

Apple suggests setting up as new phone and re Sync on itunes if this does not help then they may repair or replace but with a 2 day turnaround or I could visit an Apple store (nearsest 120 miles).

Black Gold 182 FF
I did what Apple support suggested and restored it and set it up as a new phone- and it seems to have done the trick, well for the first day anyway.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i had a strange one yesterday.

Was using it fine all morning, then in the afternoon, was on 32% and then it just suddenly died, wouldn't turn back on.

So the only thing i could think of was to plug it in and see if that would bring it back to life, and sure enough it did but it showed no battery power and wouldn't turn on until it had a bit of juice. So then turned it on and it jumped to 32% again and then up to 40.

So mine seems to have a mind of it own too!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I searched for this but couldn't immediately see any decent results, so sorry if it's been discussed a million times already.

As some may remember from earlier threads, the battery in my 3GS had been pretty impressive. It would last several days in standby. However, now it seems f**ked.

Even in standby the battery drains very quickly. The other night it was on 45%. In the morning it was on 18% and complaining. Plug it in and it shoots up to 30% almost instantly, and is on 90% twenty minutes later. WTF? Google suggests I'm not alone. Considering there are lots of iPhone geeks on here, I thought I'd ask you guys if you've had similar problems?

This started happening maybe 2 days ago. I then upgraded to 3.1 but it's still the same. Some sources suggest that it's a software issue rather than a battery problem. However, since the iPhone shuts down at a low percentage, it doesn't really matter whether the OS thinks it's dead, or if it actually is dead.

I have minimal services switched on, and it seems to drain quickly even with wi-fi, push, bluetooth etc. off. I'm guessing I'll have to pop into an Apple store and get them to have a look.

s**t phone ;)

Brave man. Make sure you get decontaminated afterwards. ;)

D.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
My 3gs lasts about a day and a half with minimal usage. More often than not I have to charge it every night though