ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPad Mini

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'm really disappointed with Apples need to "diss" the competition during the keynote.

That was a mistake.

And the new iPad is called the iPad 4th generation, The previous one is the 3rd generation.

6/468 17poo
On the Apple Refurb site there selling off all the iPads:
16gb £315, 32 £369 and £439 for 64gb surely a 64 for that price is a steal....

Anyone bought a refurbished one?

Every single part of an Apple refurb is new. It's not an ex display model or old unit which has been traded in and "done up". If an iPhone/iPad is made, and say the speaker speaker doesn't work when testing, they then can't sell it, so all of the working parts are then taken and put with other working parts from other faulty tested products and made into a fully working, "new" iPhone/iPad. They have to class it as refurbished, despite the fact not a single part has ever been used by or touched by a person.

6/468 17poo
Every single part of an Apple refurb is new. It's not an ex display model or old unit which has been traded in and "done up". If an iPhone/iPad is made, and say the speaker speaker doesn't work when testing, they then can't sell it, so all of the working parts are then taken and put with other working parts from other faulty tested products and made into a fully working, "new" iPhone/iPad. They have to class it as refurbished, despite the fact not a single part has ever been used by or touched by a person.

So with that note there's not much point in getting the 4th gen price wise?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends how long you intend on keeping it or if you have an iPhone 5.

All done to personal preference. IIRC refurbs do only come with 3 months warranty, whereas a new unit will come with a full year.

Tbh, Apple are renowned for customer service, so if you had a problem with it after 6/7/8 months, I don't think you'd have too much trouble with getting them to help resolve the issue.

The more I look at them, the more I want one now.

Just a side note, id want to use it for some work purposes too (i.e. planning sessions etc and potentially using as a visual for clients, for example if they ask for something, I can quickly whack on Safari and look with them).
Are there any decent looking Note/Document apps that I can use for keeping track of sessions, where I can save under different folders for each person, so for example:

- Bruce - Details
---------- Fitness Test
---------- Session 1
---------- Session 2

So the person's name is a folder, which then takes to separate notes/files for each session i've done/planned. (Does that all make sense?!)
Any app that is decent for that?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The more I look at them, the more I want one now.

Just a side note, id want to use it for some work purposes too (i.e. planning sessions etc and potentially using as a visual for clients, for example if they ask for something, I can quickly whack on Safari and look with them).
Are there any decent looking Note/Document apps that I can use for keeping track of sessions, where I can save under different folders for each person, so for example:

- Bruce - Details
---------- Fitness Test
---------- Session 1
---------- Session 2

So the person's name is a folder, which then takes to separate notes/files for each session i've done/planned. (Does that all make sense?!)
Any app that is decent for that?

Yup. Evernote.

LY 182
That refurbed 3 is a cracking price.

My sister is going to New York in January so I think I'll hold off any purchase til then and get her to sort me out. Works out so much cheaper on the current exchange rates.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That refurbed 3 is a cracking price.

My sister is going to New York in January so I think I'll hold off any purchase til then and get her to sort me out. Works out so much cheaper on the current exchange rates.

Does it? Sales tax remember.

133/225/CLS AMG
I've with you on this, seems confusing. They've basically ditched the New Ipad (3) completely and replaced it with the New Ipad (4). I asked a similar question on PH and basically got called an idiot lol Apple usually releases a new product, then makes the outgoing one cheaper, rather then scraping a product completely, which I think is where the confusion comes in.

People who have just bought a New Ipad and now found out theres a New Ipad called New Ipad, must be very annoyed!

What happens in a years time when theres another New Ipad? Is that called the New New Ipad?

Glad it wasn't me that was thinking 'What the f*ck' as on the site the only sign it's new is that it's got new flashing away on the link and because the previous model (out earlier this year) is now not being sold I couldn't figure what had changed.

I have the iPad 3 from earlier this year so it's annoying to think that it's now the 'old' model when it's 6 months old!

Stupid thing is that the iPad 3, having never been called that is hard to classify really. Is the one they've just updated actually the iPad 4 or will they release an official 4 some time next year!

I just think of it as an updated 'New' iPad. The iPad 2 received a fairly extensive update, but nobody said much about that.

LY 182
Take the Mini 32GB model for example.

UK price - £349
US price - $429 + 8% = $463.32. On Current exchange rates that is £290.

Not a monumental saving but a fair amount I suppose. Depends how desperate for one I am really.

133/225/CLS AMG
I just think of it as an updated 'New' iPad. The iPad 2 received a fairly extensive update, but nobody said much about that.

I didn't even know that much haha.

That said apparently they've changed to the same connector as the iPhone 5 so that's a significant change I guess.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I didn't even know that much haha.

That said apparently they've changed to the same connector as the iPhone 5 so that's a significant change I guess.

Its all on the apple site

Dual Band Wifi on N (although i thought it had that already)
Upgraded front camera to 720p
New connector
A6X (twice as fast on average)

Thats it. The average user wouldn't notice the change. Certainly not worth updating if you have a 3rd generation.

133/225/CLS AMG
What's in the previous model though? It's easy to compare the 2 and the new 3 but I don't know what was in the other model! lol

I shall get Googling! :)

Is the A6X in the Mini?

What's the crack with the slate back on the iPhone 5 then, is it all just scaremongering, or does it mark too easily? I fancy a mini with the slate, but I don't want a one that will scratch easily!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
There must be something big on the mobile front from apple soon, it seems to be getting a touch stale IMO.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What's in the previous model though? It's easy to compare the 2 and the new 3 but I don't know what was in the other model! lol

I shall get Googling! :)

What are you on about?

2010 iPad - A4
2011 iPad 2 - A5 (in 2 versions but performance identical, however second version in 2012 has potentially better battery life)
2012 iPad 3rd Gen - A5X + Retina Display
2012 iPad 4th Gen - A6X + Retina Display, Lightning Dock.

2012 iPad Mini A5 + Lightning Dock.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Can't believe my iPad 3rd Gen is already old news lol!

People that bought recently must be chuffed.

How much better is the A5X to A6X? Noticable in the real world?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Twice as fast.

If you bought from apple within 30 days, they will probably swap it.

Clio 172
I'm thinking about selling my 2, to get a 4th gen. The 3 didn't bother me, but now its 2 gens old, and I know prices will suffer

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
No apps? Lol

Name 10 decent android tablet apps that are not ports of iOS apps. Or..I'll make it easier for you...name 10 android tablet apps.

Android tablet apps are just stretched android phone apps.

M135i
I'm hoping the next generation of this will have a Retina'esq screen. If it does, I think I'll part with my cash then. I was contemplating buying one to replace my 1st gen iPad.

I'm finding excuses to upgrade my mid 2009 13" MBP for a retina model. I just can't, it still works flawlessly for my needs!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Wonder whats going to happen regarding iOS upgrades associated with the iPad 3rd gen.

Will it be ring fenced with the iPad 2nd gen or 4th gen?

If it's 2nd gen then apple have potentially shortened it's life by a good 6+ months.