ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Im back....... with project Zero

53 Clio's & counting
Impressive title right? Lol.

Right, im back.

The Elise is being sold, I don't want it to but Im wanting to expand my business, and we are now looking to move house so the money from selling the Elise is needed for that.

I wanted a cheap toy to tide me over until another Elise is within my reach, so welcome to Project Zero.

The reason why it's called that is the aim is quite the opposite to most - the whole thing is going to be bought/modified and run on the lowest amount of money possible - aiming for the total cost of the project to get as close to owing me as close to Zero as possible.

As most of you know my history, a Ph1 was an obvious choice but I was keeping my eyes open to whatever came up, but a member on here was looking to sell his, and we came to a deal (Thanks again Eric, was a pleasure dealing with you).

So here it is in all it's glory:

2011-07-03132044.gif

2011-07-03151245.gif

2011-07-03151237.gif

2011-07-03151315.gif

2011-07-03151401.gif

2011-07-03151429.gif

The basics are:

2000 172
Alloy bonnet with 'quick change now before you blow up' light
Aftermarket 17 inch wheels
Some form of very low lowering springs
A currently unknown make of stainless exhaust
Induction kit
MOT and tax for 6 months
S/H about half it's life
121k (just run in)

It requires a new dephaser, and a general tidy up, but it is a perfect starting base.

Interesting thing is this on the slam panel:

2011-07-03141010.gif

Iv e-mailed them waiting to here back what has been done, im guessing an exhaust and filter upgrade, but just in case it has a set of cams hiding away (I havent driven it hard due to the dephaser needing doing).

So, on the list so far is:

New dephaser and belts
New thermostat (temp sits low) and a service
Wheels will be sold and some sort of 15's will replace them
Filter will be sold for a ph1 airbox
Exhaust will be sold (Eventually for a Yozza)
Interior will be sold

As said, this is going to be done on the cheap - no unnessesary money spend as I will have too much other bits to be spending/saving.

Parts gathered so far are a set of coilovers, a flocked dash and a cage, all which will be fitted in good time, interior will be bare, with anything not required cut out - I have learnt from the Elise low weight is the biggest requirement, so I will be focusing on that.

I will be listing costs as I go, and as I buy/sell bits and as said I aim to get the car to owe me a little as possible without scrimping on anything safety wise.

I aim to build a good, fun, light track/fast road car with a budget of as little as possible.

Costs:

Car - £500
Cage, coilovers and dash - £300

Items will be for sale off it over the next month or so, which as said will include the wheels, springs and shocks, interior etc.

I hope you all enjoy my little project :)

53 Clio's & counting
Cheers guys :D

Im looking forward to messing around with it, I missed the trick of not stripping my last one when it became a toy, and I can't get the lightness idea out of my head now lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Superb Russ! Nice to see you back in a ph1. Looks a decent base.

53 Clio's & counting
Lol I have a great mate! :)

Really looking forward to getting on with it, but if im honest Im not sure if it will have much done until iv got all the house stuff out the way, we shall see :)

53 Clio's & counting
Just heard back from Prima, and it had one of their stage one kits, which is filter, exhaust and a remap.

53 Clio's & counting
No idea on power output, knowing what maps give id say somewhere around standard power.

unlike my last one im not chasing power, so i doubt anything will be done engine wise, though i do have a few ideas up my sleeve with what i want to do with it :)

53 Clio's & counting
Well if a cheap set of bodies come up you never know, I have improvements on my old design too....... but il leave that for another convo ;)

Once the Elise is sold the project will begin, so if anyone is after a lovely Elise please PM me (shameless plug)

step one is Dephaser first, then strippage and selling of items.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah it's in ok condition mate, the bumper needs alighning, the drivers seat is worn on the bolster, the steering wheel is a bit fooked, but generally nothing out the ordinary for the age/miles.

Will do perfectly for what I want, my old one I couldn't strip etc as I was too attached to how it was lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm entirely unsure how this passed me by, could have been the silly name ;)

Looks bloody awesome and for the price you really cannot complain! Jesus!

Look forward to seeing what you do with it mate.

53 Clio's & counting
The name pulses out a huge amount of awesome lol.

Cheers fella, iv got a few ideas up my sleeve for this one, main thing is iv got too much going on to throw a load of cash at it, so im planning what I can do for the tiny budget iv got set aside for it.

One thing it will be is light lol

Phase 2 172 Sport
Sounds interesting mate !! I saw this car up for sale aswell. Good luck with it matey !! Have to have a look around it at some point :)

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah you're fully welcome mate - should be good fun, I like planning out what to do, I had my previous ITB build sorted before I had even bought the itb's lol

53 Clio's & counting
Steering wheel on it's way, and work should start on it this week if all goes well.

Sat down and read the service book today and its actually got full history lol

340i
Looking good Russ, I'll keep an eye on the project thread... It sounds interesting 'project zero'

I am sure you will take it in the right direction!

53 Clio's & counting
Hero name tbh lol

Cheers fella, it wont be anyehere near the finish of most, but the plan is to keep the total cost in 3 figures, and that includes everything from cage to brakes/suspension etc. Oh and original car purchase included in that :)

53 Clio's & counting
Small update, steering wheel has arrived (Cheers Rob! x) and a few goodies ordered.

Trying to work out a few things, hopefully il have a good update at the weekend.

My dad used to work for a company who made (Amongst other things) heat shrinkable plastic tubing for the M.O.D., which is fire/heat proof and I have an umbandance of it, so wiring will be tidied up all over using this - should look quite tidy :)