ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iimpressed by local valeter/detailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I didn't mean as much these days to be honest. As it's a bigger thing. Even then some classic car shows judged by 70 year old men, you really think they care about swirls?

To your point though if these cars won these concours events with swirly paintwork then how good was the competition?

Surely having a car detailed properly would be even better as the paintwork would by fact be in better condition?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So you're admitting that new products are better

Absolutely yes, and have never said otherwise, 100% totally there are some new products that are a lot better than older products, and I havent ever said that every new product is a fad or dont work because I know full well that a lot of them do.
But that doesnt change the fact that a lot of people out there still want to see a valeter using a good quality chamois on their car, and plenty of them manage to do so with what the customer sees as very good results, so IMHO this guy is perfectly welcome to do so if he wants, it takes a lot more care to avoid scratches with them than with microfibres as they trap solid particles so much more easily, and IME it takes longer to dry with one too, but I genuinely believe that some of his customers would think he was cutting corners if he started using what looks to them like a hand towel to dry their car so it might work well for him with his clients to stick to the "good old fashioned" chamois in that case, and lots of people do manage to use them for years with only the most minor of effect on the paintwork. (and lets face it cars dont last forever anyway so when its a daily driver not a hobby so long as the paint stays good enough for the time you have the car thats fine to most folk)
I wouldnt personally ever buy one though by the way.

hence the reason you love G1 so much.
Yes its a good product built with what seem to be very chemically sound principles that massively outperforms anything on the market previously.

We scoof at some things like chamois' because they actually damage paintwork, I don't care about the owner but doesn't mean we can't discuss how much damage is being done by that or a carwash for example. It's a forum.
Discuss away mate, in fact that is what we are doing isnt it? you and JD are saying how a chamois is the work of the devil, and im saying its not perfect but people shouldnt lump in a genuinely good quality chamois thats properly cared for and some old thing lobbed in the back of a shed thats all.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I didn't mean as much these days to be honest. As it's a bigger thing. Even then some classic car shows judged by 70 year old men, you really think they care about swirls?

To your point though if these cars won these concours events with swirly paintwork then how good was the competition?

Surely having a car detailed properly would be even better as the paintwork would by fact be in better condition?

Here you go again mate, I assume that you must have missed it the first time round for you to be repeating me in a question to me, lol:

Chip-mk1 said:
as some competitors start really upping their game with quality of paint correction it will make the judges re-evaluate what is good or not.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I prefer the term "Tapp" instead of detailing. Kinda like an in between of valet and detail.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Again I don't care where anyone takes their car. I might advise against it if they are asking.

I think the problem here is this guy is advertising himself as one thing but using products that achieve another.

You can't have 2 ways of doing thing when you call yourself a detailer offering detailing services. Chamois for one customer and a drying towel for another. It's simply mental.

He's also DAMAGING people's cars by using a chamois. The guy might not actually care of even know but I can and will discuss the guys failings as I see fit.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I used to know some bird who was so far up her own arse it was awkward.

I remember once when she sounded so smug saying 'I'm going to give my car a full valet on the weekend'. I had to refrain from chuckling, and from saying 'and I'm going to detail my car over the weekend'

because a) I'm not one for black catting, and b) she wouldn't have the foggiest what detailing meant lol.

true story.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I used to know some bird who was so far up her own arse it was awkward.

I remember once when she sounded so smug saying 'I'm going to give my car a full valet on the weekend'. I had to refrain from chuckling, and from saying 'and I'm going to detail my car over the weekend'

because a) I'm not one for black catting, and b) she wouldn't have the foggiest what detailing meant lol.

true story.

When you say you used to know, was it an ex?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can and will discuss the guys failings as I see fit.

You seem to be trying to fight for a right you already have and no one is attempting to take away from you?

Would be nice to see you fleshing out the point TBH not in terms of CAPITAL LETTERS for words like damaging, but actually adding some very detailed reasons and explanations as to why and how it will scratch and especially if you go into the various different types of leather and how to treat them etc to get the best if people do still want to use them (must confess even though I use towels now I do still prefer the feel of a nice chamois so can understand why people stick with them) and which ones are particuarly bad etc.

Would be nice to see some actual techy side of detailing on here rather than just a list of does and dont products copied from DW which is all we tend to get so far. I'd be well up for reading more about the science of it and im sure a few others would too :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Cathedral city mild cheddar!

funking delicious! Nicest cheese ever!

Shame it costs a fortune! Even with chip sweat ingrained

1.7 cdti
I use an AG Chamois Leather to dry my car and my paint is fine (bar stone chips). I also have a drying towel which I've only used twice, don't like it at all.

Edit: Seriously Strong for me, amazing cheese!
OMG you will burn in damnation for saying s**t like that boy

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My chap used a towel... Mature Cheddar from Aldi is nice also

Sue him then, he says on his site he will use a chamois, lol

As I said, I bet he has both and just uses the chamois when people are old and expect it.

Aldi?

You drive to Aldi in an alpina Z4 3.4?

FLOL

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Sue him then, he says on his site he will use a chamois, lol

As I said, I bet he has both and just uses the chamois when people are old and expect it.

Aldi?

You drive to Aldi in an alpina Z4 3.4?

FLOL

I have to or I can't pay the valeter :)

Sorry, who are you two? Noobs? Good just checking. Many thanks for your lacking knowledge, band wagon input...

Status
Not open for further replies.