ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Iimpressed by local valeter/detailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be funny to you, but im kinda feeling that for you to know what I did for a part time job 21 years ago when I havent ever bothered to mention it to anyone probably implies you're stalking me even harder than Adamm is.

Probably abusing your dads position as Nato supreme commander of western europe to find out intel on me :(

Finally this thread got funny! I've PM'd you anyway, but honestly? Because if so, utterly superb. I'd love to do something similar.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Anyone seen Anchorman?

I can Tomorrow going the same way the car park brawl did in that movie, Chip Killing someone with a Trident lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Finally this thread got funny! I've PM'd you anyway, but honestly? Because if so, utterly superb. I'd love to do something similar.

Yes mate, genuinely, it was a fecking horrific job though, the whole building was at about 40 degrees as you need heat in them mix to help the milk turn, which meant I was drinking 4 litres of fluid a day and not needing a single piss for the whole time as it was just pouring off me in sweat (as I was leaning over cutting the cheese etc)
It actually put me off eating cheese for a while but (like most fatties) I just love the stuff too much so now I just choose to ignore that I know how its made and why it tastes a bit salty, lol.

Evo 5 RS
Pointless would be the wrong word. It's not pointless. Simple fact, a car rubbed over the top of with turtle wax will never look close to a properly corrected car in the flesh.

Properly corrected for all of 3 weeks. Difficult to get enthusiastic about being pedantic about something that inevitably gets thrown into the elements and travels across grit it's entire life. I'd rather just go places.

Bleak but true. Energy better spent else where lol.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why would you get in trouble for noticing that unlike a lot of other people on this forum I stick to posting in topics I have an at least reasonable amount of knowledge or experience of?

See this is where it falls down. You don't have a reasonable amount of knowledge about detailing, this is the problem. You might think you do but you show lack of basic understanding that shows that you don't.

Infact your whole argument in this thread was based around the chamois comment and how Joe Public don't care which i'm not sure who said they do, it was a a comment that ruined every other point or post you tried to make in regards to your point.

Again same goes for your comments in Scrooge's 50/50 thread where your lack of understanding on correction work and paint depths showed how flawed your debate was.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What type of cheese? I've seen them make it in Cheddar. Was yours machine or hand made?

Cheddar, was classed as hand made although some of the processes I personally would have called fairly machine assisted.

Interestingly (when judged on a scale appropriate to a discussion about cheese manufacture) the by products that got thrown away or any moulds that got dropped all over the floor and scraped up again get sold onto the processed cheesed companies who make "real cheddar cheese slices made from farmhouse cheddar" etc, its proper rubbish in them!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
New Cheese thread required, whats your flavour???

Doesn't someone out of Blur now make cheese?

Yes mate, genuinely, it was a fecking horrific job though, the whole building was at about 40 degrees as you need heat in them mix to help the milk turn, which meant I was drinking 4 litres of fluid a day and not needing a single piss for the whole time as it was just pouring off me in sweat (as I was leaning over cutting the cheese etc)
It actually put me off eating cheese for a while but (like most fatties) I just love the stuff too much so now I just choose to ignore that I know how its made and why it tastes a bit salty, lol.

Honest to God, it is the most difficult thing to resist. We were at the Foodies festival a few weekends ago, got chatting to one of the exhibitors (Cheshire Cheese Company). Turned out the lad was from Macc near my grandmother so had a good old chat and before I realised it, I'd bought six (to share...) - chili and lime, oak smoked apple, caramelised onion etc. Far to easy to reach and grab a cracker/apple slice/chutney.

Which company/where was this? In the UK? edit Ah answered above. Nice!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
See this is where it falls down. You don't have a reasonable amount of knowledge about detailing, this is the problem.

I dont know as much about it as a subject as you im sure as its not really something that interest me, but yes I do know a reasonable amount about certain aspects of detailing.
My comments about a very good quality chamois causing such minor issues that it wont interest most folk at all for example, are perfectly valid and based on experience (as JD will want me to mention) of years of seeing the way people prepare concours and high value cars, and in fact I frequently find that people who clearly hang out on detailing forums a lot and take everything they read there (normally filtering down from people selling the latest trendy product) as gospel and think they know everything about it often know even less about the products they have decided are horrific and are slagging off than some of us not into detailing who have actually used those products for years and seen the real effects not just some over the top examples online.

I'd wager that most of the much older people into detailing who have been doing it for decades not just since it got trendy on certain internet forums, have in the past before microfibres became trendy, turned out some exceptionally good work using a good quality chamois in fact, sure I bet they could do even better with todays products, some of them are excellent but it doesnt mean that any car cleaned in the old fashioned ways if done properly will be devastated and ruined like some of you try to make out.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
One thing you won't get from me is drivel from the next or latest trend mate, I make up my own mind and i'm lucky enough to be privy to the ins and outs of how these products are made and purchased.

Technology moves on, better products come to market, the simple fact is a chamois will do more damage to paintwork much more than any drying towel will. Same with sponge vs washmitt, it's simple science. (no please don't bore us)

Concours cars don't count, these events never used to be even interested in swirls or anything like that. Concours cars have never been about detailing, clean car yes but it was never about having fully corrected paintwork.

These days at indoor motorshows especially modified cars are judged under massive lights and now they are judged on paint aswell as other things.

I've seen many concours winners, Frps, S1 Rst, both prepped with a Chamois and some super resin polish and turtlewax respectively. I have no problem with that. Infact I don't really care. I'm just afraid the concours argument doesn't really add to the debate. Most judges haven't even heard of the word detailing.

Over the years more and more will be judged on tidy paintwork aswell as all the other boxes they have to tick.

To be honest, Chip makes a fair point about detailing and forums, Kev. You'd agree with that (perfect example is some companies repackaging products but with better marketing).

In my experience as well (hi), for example I've bought a 007p from Forge because tehinternetz said to, whilst getting a map, along with the "necessary" upgraded filter. And yet, not two months ago, having run the setup for years, a very well respected indi tuner showed some fairly major flawes in the design of said product over the OEM part (leaks when bubble tested, it's a diverter valve for turbo cars, for those not in the know). Forge responded with the 008p I believe but just goes to show you what the internet can do for a part that was, in this case, worse than OEM but massively more expensive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Contradiction?

Nope.

If you can do a 90% job with one product and a 85% job with another product, thats still a good product in the grand scheme of things so labelling it as horrific is going a bit over the top IMHO.

Most people are happy with "good" as a result with a lot of things in life, and not always bothered about paying ten times as much to get "excellent".

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Chip just to prove a point theres a bloke at my work who loves cleaning his jag, after discussing it with him he said he used a sponge and chamois (I couldn't believe it). I recommended him a few items including a wash mitt and MF drying towel. Since then he has told me they are an absolute god send and he can't believe he stuck with the old method for so long.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
So you're admitting that new products are better, hence the reason you love G1 so much.

We scoof at some things like chamois' because they actually damage paintwork, I don't care about the owner but doesn't mean we can't discuss how much damage is being done by that or a carwash for example. It's a forum.

I don't try to convince anyone to detail their car or preach, simply try to help them like you do in the engine threads. If anything I urge people not to start buying products as it's a slippery slope to aim for perfection but I enjoy it and my car can look much better than it was if I was using somewhat oldschool products that will do irreparable damage (detailing wise) to paintwork.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Times change...

5avu5agy.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Technology moves on, better products come to market, the simple fact is a chamois will do more damage to paintwork much more than any drying towel will. Same with sponge vs washmitt, it's simple science. (no please don't bore us)

I assume you already realise I know about the difference between sponges and mitts and chamois and towels and their effect on paint so I wont start going into detail to prove thats the case, and obviously thats why I didnt say a chamois will do NO damage, I just said if its a well used very good quality one it wont be enough of a difference for the man in the street to get in a fuss over.

If the guy was selling "paint restoration" or "paint correction" on his site, and JD said that was misleading for what he did for the OP then I would have agreed with it by the way, but you guys get so protective over the "detail" term it comes across sometimes like you think every time someone uses it then it has to be a 3 day long detail with PDG etc.

These days at indoor motorshows especially modified cars are judged under massive lights and now they are judged on paint aswell as other things.

I've seen many concours winners, Frps, S1 Rst, both prepped with a Chamois and some super resin polish and turtlewax respectively. I have no problem with that. Infact I don't really care. I'm just afraid the concours argument doesn't really add to the debate. Most judges haven't even heard of the word detailing.

So you are saying most concours judges havent heard of detailing but I get told off when I say joe public hasnt? FLOL!!!!

Depends on the scene a bit though TBH, minis for example have always been very fussy even on stuff like paint finish and very minor scratching on the glass, but yes I agree with you that as some competitors start really upping their game with quality of paint correction it will make the judges re-evaluate what is good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.