ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignis is gone, 200 arrives.

LY R26 #288
What was up with the Ignis, Mark? I sold mine because it was unbearable on the coilovers, and I didn't like it in standard guise. They're not the most comfortable of cars as standard are they! I've since been offered a cheap Yaris T-Sport, I'm tempted but I don't feel the need so much any more.

200 is nice btw, if it's anything like my 197 was you'll be loving it to bits already!

My mate has a Yaris T-Sport , although their not that quick, he has great fun in it. I think they handle really well.

Swift Sport
My mate has a Yaris T-Sport , although their not that quick, he has great fun in it. I think they handle really well.

I've heard they're a slightly softer version of the Ignis, I'm quite tempted to try it. Running costs are next to nothing.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
When I got the Ignis last year I had a 12 mile commute, 1st and 2nd gear stuff, congested mainly, and for that along withe the occasional country blast it was fine.

Now the commute is all country roads, 26 miles and seven villages, that's it. The Ignis handled it well, but it bucked about like the Cup, and the two car thing has become a financial PITA.

Always said i'd have a 200, just didn't plan on doing it so soon. Only recently came the non-cup decision, thanks to Daniel and Evo magazine.

Just took the wife and kids out for a meal in it...she doesn't believe it's the non cup, it's still very firm, you know it's a proper hot hatch, and it bucks about a fair bit. But on the country roads...it just deals with stuff that would have my Cup (and i'd think a cupped 200) stuttering.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
What was up with the Ignis, Mark? I sold mine because it was unbearable on the coilovers, and I didn't like it in standard guise. They're not the most comfortable of cars as standard are they! I've since been offered a cheap Yaris T-Sport, I'm tempted but I don't feel the need so much any more.

200 is nice btw, if it's anything like my 197 was you'll be loving it to bits already!

Shame you sold your 197.

Swift Sport
Similar to me then Mark, I went from doing 25-30 miles a week to 40 miles a day. The Ignis became tiring to drive.

very nice, looking forward to your future reviews and videos!

This.

Though I don't wish the same misfortune on you again ( :p ) I can honestly say "Stolen and Recovered: The 172 Cup That Lived On" made my decision for me that I was going to own an RS.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely car Mark. Really works with those Silver wheels and the blacked out bodywork is perfect.

Very subtle and spot on what you're looking for. Enjoy!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I got the Ignis last year I had a 12 mile commute, 1st and 2nd gear stuff, congested mainly, and for that along withe the occasional country blast it was fine.

Now the commute is all country roads, 26 miles and seven villages, that's it. The Ignis handled it well, but it bucked about like the Cup, and the two car thing has become a financial PITA.

Always said i'd have a 200, just didn't plan on doing it so soon. Only recently came the non-cup decision, thanks to Daniel and Evo magazine.

Just took the wife and kids out for a meal in it...she doesn't believe it's the non cup, it's still very firm, you know it's a proper hot hatch, and it bucks about a fair bit. But on the country roads...it just deals with stuff that would have my Cup (and i'd think a cupped 200) stuttering.

:eek:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Very nice. Quite stealthy as well which is always a bonus as you say!

Think i can see myself having one in a few years time, although i still dont think i'd be able to go for anything other than Cup pack, Recaro's & speedlines.

172, Tiguan
Nice car Mark. Was going to ask if Rich had found you one as I knew you were looking, but I guess you found this by yourself in the end?

We'll have to catch up soon.

Nice sensible logical decision in your choice of colour/spec.

I give until your 3rd track day until 'Ill just take the rear seats out..' ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice car Mark. Was going to ask if Rich had found you one as I knew you were looking, but I guess you found this by yourself in the end?

We'll have to catch up soon.

This one was on the radar but was a trek to get to. After he dropped the price again last Monday I sent him a cheeky email and got a good response :approve:

No mods (apart from a foam panel filter replacement) are permitted, self imposed rule.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
This thread needs more gloves

IMG_0073.jpg

AG 200

I went for a jaunt with my mate a few months back over the tops from Leeds to the East coast. The roads were potholed and bumpy as hell , he absolutely left me for dead in his non cupped Albi 200. My FF AG 200 was falling to pieces around me , we swapped cars and the non cupped 200 glided over the uneven surface whereas he couldnt wait to get out of mine and back into his.
The non cupped 200 over uneven ground is more stable, confidence inspiring and therefore quicker , around a track then maybe its a different case but as 99.9% of most drivers time is spent away from the track the cup chassis isnt required. Its more for show than for go , get the feeling a few people get it because they feel they 'should' , they dont know why and will never push the car to its limits but they are adamant their cupped version is the one to have.
I only got it to get the red callipers and marmite alloys . ;-)

Last edited:
  Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Similar to me then Mark, I went from doing 25-30 miles a week to 40 miles a day. The Ignis became tiring to drive.

Weird, I never found my Ignis tiring to drive! I did 60 miles a day in it, although that was always on B roads, so driving rather briskly! They are such good cars, shame they never got the recognition they deserved. Never had a disappointed passenger in that car!

I went for a jaunt with my mate a few months back over the tops from Leeds to the East coast. The roads were potholed and bumpy as hell , he absolutely left me for dead in his non cupped Albi 200. My FF AG 200 was falling to pieces around me , we swapped cars and the non cupped 200 glided over the uneven surface whereas he couldnt wait to get out of mine and back into his.
The non cupped 200 over uneven ground is more stable, confidence inspiring and therefore quicker , around a track then maybe its a different case but as 99.9% of most drivers time is spent away from the track the cup chassis isnt required. Its more for show than for go , get the feeling a few people get it because they feel they 'should' , they dont know why and will never push the car to its limits but they are adamant their cupped version is the one to have.
I only got it to get the red callipers and marmite alloys . ;-)

Same reason the Williams should always have the 185 tyres, because the damping is so much better with them. They soak up the bumps so much better than the 195 tyre.

Of course 99% of people disagree, because the 195 tyre is cheaper and lower profile, so more 'sporty' and so 'better'. But then many people rip of the nice compliant easy to drive williams dampers and fit rock hard coilovers and claim it 'handles better' :rolleyes:

I would suggest that with the cup versions of these cars, Renault are just giving the masses what they want. Bread and circuses mainly.

Swift Sport
Weird, I never found my Ignis tiring to drive! I did 60 miles a day in it, although that was always on B roads, so driving rather briskly! They are such good cars, shame they never got the recognition they deserved. Never had a disappointed passenger in that car!

Mine was on rock hard coilovers which didn't help! lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i would be interested to know how much stiffer a non cup 200 is compaired to a GT as mine is pretty stiff but yet soaks up bumps and pot holes with ease, in a mk2 when you see a pot hole at the last minute you think s**t! and try and lift ur arse off the seat, close ur eyes and get that horrible crunch as the car gets a shock through it, u hardly feel it in the mk3!

i have never covered cross country on rough roads quite as easy as my DCi does!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
A week in on mine and I'm head over heels.

Perfect on my commute. It's a comfy cruiser barge when I want it to be, and a limpet when I don't.

36mpg too. Must try harder.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
34-36 mpg is pretty average in my 200 as well (over 10k miles), not bad really and much better than I expected, expecially when you read the million poor mpg threads on the Clio III... It must be better than the 197 as that really does get hammered on here?

Swift Sport
Yeah that's what I had, much worse than springs! Spoken to a few 200 owners and nobody has complained about the MPG.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
I got 28mpg in my 197. What's changed to improve it so much with the 200?

No idea - But I have never seen a 197 person claim the mpg many of the 200 folk are getting... so something is definitely different (all of mine have been calculated on tank full to tank full and the trip actually reads c.2mpg low).

Wonder if anyone can answer what's changed?

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Welcome to the 200 club Mark and hopefully will see you at few trackday next year.

I love cup chassis on mine just purely for the rack. I do find it a pain for the road though but makes up for it on track and it's a good compromise for me. The fact that the car communicate with me so well makes it very easy to drive on track.

I'm still getting 33MPG but see upto 37MPG.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My commute helps massively with the decent fuel consumption.

Across 26 miles of country roads, I only have to brake for about 5 junctions in total, that's it. Most of the time is spent cruising along at a steady 50/60 mph so it barely uses anything fuel wise.

Been giving it a few squirts this week, and it's still showing 32mpg on the trip computer.

On the same route I managed to squeeze a genuine 53mpg out of my Ignis!

172, Tiguan
My dad always got 33 out of his 197 (with the shorter gearbox). You've all got heavy right feet.

200 obviously has the better gear ratios that the later 197's had.

320d
I find country roads are the easiest roads to get high mpg from providing your not thrashing it and there aren't too many hills.

200 sounds like the perfect car for you Mark, If I had a 26 mile cross country commute I think I'd be in a 200. Very very good all rounder.