ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ignis is gone, 200 arrives.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yesterday evening I waved goodbye to this

100_6615.jpg

and said hello to this

2011-12-03144305.jpg

then spent a late night working on the wife so I could take it here first thing this morning

goodwood-race-circuit-aerial.jpg

and have spent the entire day doing this

[youtube]H_XIFsmRDGo[/youtube]

Last lap of the day...have barely touched what it can do yet, can't wait for the spring.

The non-cupped path is the right one ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Wicked mate! Enjoying it? Whats your first impressions?

I did silverstone (pretty much non stop all day! lol) in mine and I loved it! Hated driving it on the road with the wife and kids hence I sold it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
First road impressions are; motorways are nice again, economy is fine, fat steering wheel feels lurvely, reach adjustment is worth it, why the f*** is there not a power outlet on the dash (or have I missed it?), gearchange and seating position are massively improved, electric PAS is fine.

First track impressions are; grip, grip, traction, traction, grip, and WTF is this, more grip?!! I need to brake so much less, but as I'd only had it less than 24hrs I thought better of it LOL

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I did silverstone I did it with a mate in his 172 track car. He is a much better driver than me and previously when I had my 172, when we are both on track there is a big difference between us...

At silverstone with me in the 200, you couldn't get a fag paper between us for the whole day. Literally bumper to bumper.

My driving hadn't improved so it just goes to show how much better the 200 is. I really really rate them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh, and whats happened to the cup? Or have I missed something?

LY R26 #288
Cracking day and had the pleasure of being a passenger for a few sessions.

Thanks again mark. You've given me the bug now. Very impressed with the performance of the 200.

Welcome to the proper Clio club Mark. I guess you've found that sweet handling spot then. Well done on persuading the Missus to take it on track immediately, it took me over a year to persuade mine.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Ahh, remember you from the Ignis forum. I've just sold mine too and got another Clio. Miss the Ignis a lot though, so so much fun! Good choice, 200's are growing on me.

An orange one
My mum and dads 200 is non cup packed and it's sublime!

The damping on bumpy b roads is unreal!

IMO ultimate spec would be non cup suspension with the cup steering rack, but it's not worth the crashy ride for the quicker rack unless you do alot of track work and drive on smooth roads,

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Still got the Cup, but am open to offers. Not really making any effort to get rid yet, but will do come the spring.

The Ignis wasn't cutting it as a daily anymore, and it pained me that the Cup sat there 3 weeks at a time sometimes without turning a wheel. Then two lots of insurance and tax came up in quick succession, I winced and then thought...why not?

So I did. Got the absolute perfect spec in my opinion...
  • Black paint - the front bumper/wing, rear diffuser, wheel-arch vents, all the bits that mark them out as RS Clios, just blend in. So it isn't shouty...looks to the uneducated just like a black Clio.
  • Non-cup suspension - my current commute is 52 miles a day along swooping, narrow, blind and generally f***ed country roads. I have two children who sometimes like sleeping in the back. The lack of red calipers and amphasite wheels means it's not shouty, silver wheels and black body = normal car. I love driving on track, I love driving full stop, but of the 17,000 miles I do each year, 500 tops are done at Goodwood. Q.E.D.
  • Standard chairs - Goodwood no longer permit any kind of suction mount as they become projectiles if the glass cracks/gets smashed in an impact. So the only camera mount option for me is headrest struts.
  • Cost - no one wants Cup suspension so the odd trader that takes one can end up stuck with it for a while. The guy I bought this from had had it two months. It had less than 18k miles and 8 months Renault warranty remains. Cost to change was £8k. Bargain.
  • Rear parking sensors - err?
On track it's almost light years away from my Cup in terms of its sure-footedness. I only troubled the ESP a few times throughout the day, so there's still a fair bit to come there once I dial into it. It just feels so friendly, really eggs you on then laughs hard at your lack of commitment.

As a comparison I was doing circa 1:40 vs a best in my Cup of 1:37. But the Cup was stripped and running track rubber. I think vs a standard Cup it would be a good second or two quicker around Goodwood.

Brimmed the tank again this morning then ran a few errands, trip meter currently says 38mpg. WTF? I thought they were meant to be useless on fuel?

After it's thrashing yesterday I gave it some TLC earlier...it's a keeper, going for at least as long as the current Cup so am going to try to take good care of it.

100_9017.jpg

100_9011.jpg

100_9007.jpg

100_9020.jpg

Megane 225 F1
Those discs look shocking. Always wondered, is there a way to get rid of that orange look to them?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Those discs look shocking. Always wondered, is there a way to get rid of that orange look to them?

Yip on ly on the braking surface... the other bits would need painting.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Cant get on with the wheels on that one, much prefer the old cup but I think you got what you could out of that old war horse!

Swift Sport
What was up with the Ignis, Mark? I sold mine because it was unbearable on the coilovers, and I didn't like it in standard guise. They're not the most comfortable of cars as standard are they! I've since been offered a cheap Yaris T-Sport, I'm tempted but I don't feel the need so much any more.

200 is nice btw, if it's anything like my 197 was you'll be loving it to bits already!