ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I R Detailer

Hi.

So had a day off from work yesterday as I have a few to use up before I leave at the end of this month - whoop!

So anyway, I decided almost nine years of crud, tar and salt was enough for my poor arches, so decided to give them a decent going over. Sadly, the day did not quite go to plan, with a mixture of piss poor weather and my jack/axle stands going walk about! Only two wheels and front arches were completed!

The car has also recently had a full new set of shocks, springs, drop links, bushes/wishbones, top mounts and track/tie rod ends.

Befores;

View attachment 55295

View attachment 55296

View attachment 55297

View attachment 55298

View attachment 55299

View attachment 55300

So oil, grime, tar, salt and god knows what else! Oh, chewing gum!

Sprayed with AS Triple Degreaser 1:40 as it's strong stuff and then agitated with an assortment of brushes brush, then rinsed off;

View attachment 55301

View attachment 55302

View attachment 55303

View attachment 55304

This left me with A LOT of tar spots, so out with the trusty Tardis, which made short work of them;

View attachment 55305

View attachment 55306

These spots were then wiped off using an old, but clean, MF towel. The arches were then rinsed down again and then left to air dry for an hour or so.

At this point I moved on to the wheels, which received basically the same treatment, save for dropping AS3 in favour of G101 at 1:4, again due to the fact that the wheels have never been removed and cleaned, as far as I was aware.

This showed...

View attachment 55307

View attachment 55308

G101 sprayed and agitated;

View attachment 55309

All tar spots and old wheel weight pads removed with Tardis, doing it's thang;

View attachment 55310

View attachment 55311

View attachment 55312

Needless to say, there was a lot of brake dust on the rears and they were never going to come up perfectly without a refurb. However, with a potential new car and a move to London, I will not be spending the £300 needed to bring them back to 100%.

IronX, sprayed, agitated and then left to dwell;

View attachment 55313

View attachment 55314

View attachment 55315

After the amount of gunge that came off, they were blasted down with the PW and Iron X reapplied and reagitated in the worst areas of built on brake dust. You can see the black areas behind the spokes. This is not grease, tar or dirt. It is purely brake dust build up. Sadly, due to ill preparation, I did not have anything more acidic on me to break this down further.

Second application of Iron X;

View attachment 55316

View attachment 55317

To leave me with this (far from perfect, but a hell of a lot better and pretty much squeaky clean, where the paint was still intact!!);

View attachment 55318

Wheels were then polished by hand with Menz 203s on a German pad, wiped down with IPA and waxed with FK1000p to last me until the car leaves my hands;

View attachment 55319

View attachment 55320

View attachment 55321

The arches (metal, springs, shocks, ARBs, droplinks etc) were also waxed using FK1000p, which came up surprisingly well, even on the plastics... I have another day off next Monday and I will most likely take the wheels off, snow foam APC throughout the arches, complete the rears and seal the plastics with GTechniq C4, just for s**ts and giggles!

Results;

View attachment 55322

View attachment 55323

View attachment 55324

View attachment 55325

View attachment 55326

View attachment 55327

View attachment 55328

View attachment 55329

View attachment 55330

View attachment 55331

Thanks for reading if you've got this far! Next update will be the final prep on the paint work.

Cheers,

Forearms.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Very very clean mate, shame it won't be with you for long! :( Big fat leaver!

What's up with the brake dust? Are those gaps like a haven for dust?

Cheers gents.

This should last Kev, I pressure wash them and agigate every wash fella, so should keep them up to scratch. They were well prepped as well, with IPA etc, so should see a good bond.

Big time, they appear to be the worst possible positioning. Worst I've come across on any car/wheel configuration previously (typically!).

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Really looks like a lovely position for the dust to sit and build up. Mines iirc are quite flat at the back so not quite as abad and they were refurbed at some point last year.

<3

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Justin wolf's Brake duster is the "new" iron X.

Can be used on paintwork and wheels.

M135i
I've read a few threads on the comparisons. Some say its good, but not as good as IronX.

Nice turn around JD.

That's what we're aiming for, hoping I can either get my money back or sell for more, even after a year and 10k miles.

172 Cup
Great work JD they must be as clean as when it was new. Picked up a few tips from this aswell, thanks ;)