ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hunting for revs on idle.

172, Tiguan
Car seems to be going fine now but when it settles down to idle sometimes it's fine, sometimes it settles at 2k rpm and then hunts for steady revs. If I blip it it then settles. Any ideas?

Last edited:

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
I have this too sometimes so interested if anyone has any clues.

As blipping the throttle brings it back down to normal idle, I've always presumed it's a sticky throttle body so the butterfly valve isn't closing fully.

I find it happens most often when moving along in traffic, so only very slight throttle usage. Do you find that too OP?

172 cup
Mine does the same, mainly happens when cold. It also searches for revs when i'm around 1/4 throttle and the engines cold.

I'm guessing throttle position sensor/ idle control valve?

I'm using it as an excuse to get it remapped.

53 Clio's & counting
Jon, it will be your idle control valve, I replace 3 of the things on my black one, tried cleaning them out but lasted about a day then back to hunting. I managed to buy a new one from a chap on here who had a sticking tb, and bought it in error. Bear in mind though, check out my guide for a perminant fix to a sticking tb - doing that may help. Oh, and remember guys this is only ph1's, as ph2's don't have an icv

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I'd say if it settles after blipping the throttle then it's the throttle body or the throttle cable that's faulty. On mine it was permanently up at 1500 rpm until I replaced the idle control valve and now it's sorted.