ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming noise, not wheel bearing?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Symptoms:

Humming from 30-75 where its loudest, stops at 80
Stops when i apply any lock to the left
Does it in gear, or in neutral with clutch in
Sounds like its coming from the front of the car

First thought was a wheel bearing (& what i was told was the issue on purchasing), but we checked all four wheels and there is no play in any of them, after a good thrash, none were any hotter than normal, all four spin freely with the brakes off.

After checking the gearbox, most of the oil is on the outside of the box rather than the inside, so its pretty low.

Would low oil in the box cause such a noise, or cause damage to the box to give such a noise?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its stopping when you turn then I still think wheel bearing, I dont see how the box would care you have turned left (especially as im assuming you mean mild left at high speed rather than manouvreing just cause of the speeds you quote), maybe its just only starting to go very slightly and not enough play for you to feel it yet.
Ive got a pair of pare 60mm hubs with good bearings in from a cup packed 182 if you want me to bring them to bedford just in case, only takes 20 mins or so to swap.

Ive heard a similar noise from the driveshafts on clios running too much camber and lowness for the amount of free play in the shaft and that can come and go as you corner as the engine moves slightly, but cant see that being the case with yours,

C1 VTR (Company Car)
There isn't always play in the wheels. Had my rear ones changed for recently because of the same noise, fixed the problem. But my wheels where solid.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Will probably still be wheel bearing, I've had loads do that. Loose the hub nut off and drive it, releasing the pressure will quieten it down if the bearing is fucked.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I would have to agree with chip. Sounds very much like o/s wheel bearing not much else it could be from the symptoms. I've had screwed bearings without play in them before. I had one so bad before it would statically charge the car and shock you when getting out and closing the door lol.

When you spin the brake disc (wheel, pads and caliper etc off) should there be a ruff type noise or silky smooth? Mine sounds a bit ruff so was just wondering if I could do with a new one

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me. It's possible for them to hum but not have any play.

Exactly what happened to Lesley's after llandow, humming from pass side but no detectable play, I changed the bearing and it sorted it.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
to check a bearing... if its excessively noisy, you will hear by spinning the relevant wheel.... but the way i do it.... is pop the wheel off..... pop the pads out the caliper.... put the wheel back on.... and spin the wheel.... and you will hear just the bearing..... and not confuse it with pad noise rubbing the disk like some peeps do.

Also a bearing doesnt always have play in it if its noisey :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Sounds like a bearing. I just jack up 1 side of the car at a time and run the car in gear 1 or 2 so it spins the wheel past 30mph. if it makes the sound then the jacked up side needs replacing. Make sure you keep your foot near the brake/clutch & make sure its jacked up properly cause the last thing you want to happen is for it to slip and the car fall! Obviously this is only for test the fronts.

Sounds like a bearing. I just jack up 1 side of the car at a time and run the car in gear 1 or 2 so it spins the wheel past 30mph. if it makes the sound then the jacked up side needs replacing. Make sure you keep your foot near the brake/clutch & make sure its jacked up properly cause the last thing you want to happen is for it to slip and the car fall! Obviously this is only for test the fronts.

And make sure the esp is off otherwise it'll grab the spinning wheel transfer drive across the diff.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Well its not the front left.

F*cking car, everything seized to hell, & most of the nuts/bolts were knackered as well. Gonna have to bail on using the Trophy now as i need to replace the balljoints as the nuts were cross-threaded, also the pinch bolt on the hub wont tighten properly so its a wonder that the wheel hasnt just fallen off lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
What I shall call the 'Trebor' saga continues I see then. I have four people running in mine mate tomorrow, but if there is a spare opportunity when it's not on track, you are more than welcome to take mine out.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What I shall call the 'Trebor' saga continues I see then. I have four people running in mine mate tomorrow, but if there is a spare opportunity when it's not on track, you are more than welcome to take mine out.

Cheers Oli, although knowing my current luck with clio's, it'll probably expire whilst im driving it lol.

Just gonna cruise about in the R32, not drive like a loon as the tyres/brakes/fuel are too expensive :eek:

Will be nice to see how it pulls above 90 tbh as thats the quickest ive been in it ha ha.

Praying for rain now tbh.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lol, to be honest it's going to expire on someone at some point, based on its symptoms.

Cruising in the r32 and you'll still be making steady progress ;)

I don't mind the rain, prefer it dry, but if it does rain it helps to justify to myself the Diff I put in.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Dave - buys a Trophy to use for a track day. Uses the R32 anyway :cool:

Clio 172
i have got this going on too, although mine sounds like it is definately coming from the rear, both bearings changed and the noise is still there, its driving me insane!!!!!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Dave - buys a Trophy to use for a track day. Uses the R32 anyway :cool:

I dunno about that, managed to blag 3 hours from work, & just got back ;)

Found the problem however. Not only were the rear bearings both rather goosed, but the hub nuts were only on finger tight FFS. The person who last changed the rear discs also chose to use the brake spacer things on the inside & outside of the rear disc/bearing. No wonder they were knackered lol. Changed the left one first and solved the humming, but rather glad i changed the other one as well tbh.

Also fitted a new pinch bolt to the front passenger side hub and managed to tighten the balljoints up properly. Set the camber using my trusty iPhone spirit level and its now at the local garage getting the toe sorted.

Wahoo. Just the harnesses to fit tonight and away we go.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It was clearly Greggles! Way too quick on the defensive!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Will probably still be wheel bearing, I've had loads do that. Loose the hub nut off and drive it, releasing the pressure will quieten it down if the bearing is f**ked.

This. Offside rear has been replaced twice in the 100k+ I've had the 182 and on both occassions, the noise has gone.

Sounds very much like the symptoms I had - and again, I checked all the wheels for heat excessive build-up or anything feeling 'loose'. It's a good chance it is a wheel bearing.

edit - probably helps if I read the full thread first, rather than the first page! ;)

D.