ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How you get rid of a camera van ?

Listerine & Poledo
Is that not what parliament is anyway?!

why should we not have a say on what happens in our country.. we live in a democracy..
Opinions are like 455holes.

It could be argued in all directions, but people will, almost invariably, act in their own self-interests.:-

The ClioSport member may propose a no-limit-on-the-motorways system, because they have uprated brakes and did a couple of track days.
But the woman who's dead son had to be cut from their rolled Corsa on the M11 may not see things that way.

Who is the more correct in their opinion?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
If I got caught by either a fixed or mobile camera I'd blame nothing other than myself for a) willingly going over the posted speed limit and b) not being alert enough to spot the camera/van.

As said by a few others I can't think of a single reason that I would ever feel the need to try and put that blame onto someone else.

I was the one behind the wheel with my feet on the pedals and I should also have had my eyes open.

The end.

Absolutely bang on.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I don't ever want to go to court for shoplifting so I don't shoplift. Not even by accident.

Since being done for 60 in a 50 last year I've not broken a single speed limit in my own car.

Sticking to 30 in 30 takes discipline but once you get used to it, it's pretty simple.

When you drive at 30 a lot it doesn't take long to be able to judge how fast you're going without even looking at the speedo.

Listerine & Poledo
I don't ever want to go to court for shoplifting so I don't shoplift. Not even by accident.

Since being done for 60 in a 50 last year I've not broken a single speed limit in my own car.

Sticking to 30 in 30 takes discipline but once you get used to it, it's pretty simple.

When you drive at 30 a lot it doesn't take long to be able to judge how fast you're going without even looking at the speedo.
Stop talking seeennnnnnssseee.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I got caught the other week. Was on the other side of the road (separated by a reservation and trees!!!) and they got me doing 38 in a 30 directly after the limit dropped from 40 to 30. Sneaky imo and out of order considering another 50m further and I was doing 30 anyway. However I have accepted it and paid the fine because there's no point arguing and it's less embarrassing than taking them to court and realising I've made a mistake. At least I'm not going mental!

@Sunglasses_Ron just FYI, they caught me going the other way, I looked closer at the times on the offence and made a bit more sense out of it, so my CC isn't out lol

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Random Q RDR, but what's the fastest you've gone with the blues and twos on? Or what is the fastest you're allowed to go? (I imagine you can't answer the first if the 2nd has a limit.. :smiley:)

Completely off-topic, but interested.. :smile:

Can't go above 70, speed kills dontyaknow.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I think it's a bit much to blame camera vans for being "sneaky."

"Sneaky" would be trying to do you for speeding when you weren't. Catching you doing 40 in a 30 (or whatever) isn't "sneaky." It's not like they don't signpost speed limits - if you got caught by one (and I'll point out that I've been caught in the past by a van) then you were speeding. Not the camera operators fault. It also doesn't make them a c**t, simply for doing what they're told.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Random Q RDR, but what's the fastest you've gone with the blues and twos on? Or what is the fastest you're allowed to go? (I imagine you can't answer the first if the 2nd has a limit.. :smiley:)

Completely off-topic, but interested.. :smile:

I'll tell you all about it when we eventually meet one day! :wink:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

"Sneaky" would be trying to do you for speeding when you weren't. Catching you doing 40 in a 30 (or whatever) isn't "sneaky." It's not like they don't signpost speed limits - if you got caught by one (and I'll point out that I've been caught in the past by a van) then you were speeding. Not the camera operators fault. It also doesn't make them a c**t, simply for doing what they're told.
So you think sitting in a hiddenish spot (granted I knew he was there because I'd gone the other way half hour before) catching people coming from a 40 to a 30 isn't sneaky?

It's clearly not there to save lives in that case it's just a money maker

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
So you think sitting in a hiddenish spot (granted I knew he was there because I'd gone the other way half hour before) catching people coming from a 40 to a 30 isn't sneaky?

It's clearly not there to save lives in that case it's just a money maker

I think the point is that there will be clear signs telling you of a change of speed limit. If you choose to ignore them or decide that you'll slow down to the speed limit some distance after the posted sign then you really only have yourself to blame if there happens to be a 'sneaky' van plotted up.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get me wrong I've accepted blame it was my fault, it's a damn site better than thinking I'm going mental thinking I was caught going the other way. But the point is they preach saving lives as the motive when it's clearly not.

In the picture, about 20 yards from the bus stop on the other side of the road is where he was sitting. You can't tell me that's intentionally there to catch people slowing down for the 30

Attachments

• IMG_0167.PNG
    IMG_0167.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But why wait until the sign to start slowing down?? Use some observation, plan ahead and show some road sense??

If someone is demonstrating poor observation and planning and gets caught in that situation, fair f**king game imo!

Slow drivers are far worse. If I leave a bit too late for work in the morning there is a lady who I always seem to get stuck behind.

The speed limit on the A48 into Gloucester from mine is 50, and changes to 60 for a few miles, then back to 50. This lady always drives around 30mph all the way. The tail backs in the morning I have seen her cause is phenomenal.
And she's not some old lady either, looks only to be around 30ish. Makes matters worse there is only 3 double lane sections, and each one is only around 100ish yards. Which is no good when you have 30+ cars behind you in morning rush hour. She constantly has people over taking her and getting beeped at and lights flashing at her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What car is this?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
But why wait until the sign to start slowing down?? Use some observation, plan ahead and show some road sense??

If someone is demonstrating poor observation and planning and gets caught in that situation, fair f**king game imo!

Amen to that.

There's slowing down for the 30 limit sign, and then there's slowing down from the 30 limit sign.

Slow down from the sign, get caught going more than 30, and you are absolutely fair game...there was a sign that you chose to react to only after you had passed it.

It's that blame thing again LOL

Revenue generating? You are the one choosing to give them this revenue! That is your choice! If no one sped, they'd give up and go home, and no revenue would be generated.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Amen to that.

There's slowing down for the 30 limit sign, and then there's slowing down from the 30 limit sign.

Slow down from the sign, get caught going more than 30, and you are absolutely fair game...there was a sign that you chose to react to only after you had passed it.

It's that blame thing again LOL

Revenue generating? You are the one choosing to give them this revenue! That is your choice! If no one sped, they'd give up and go home, and no revenue would be generated.

I'm not blaming anyone? I've said it's my fault in fact.

I'm standing by what I say though. They preach road safety. They say they're there to make sure people slow down and save lives and it has nothing to do with making money.

Yet they position their van in a spot that will generate easy revenue from drivers like myself that wasn't paying attention to the limit change. That isn't saving lives that is there purely to make money.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
What people actually do is see the signs and hit the brakes

We have an area near me that goes from national in to a 50 and they sit waiting directly after it. Guy I work with got caught twice in one day slowing down from the national.

Both tickets are around 55mph as well. f**king joke.

I get the whole slowing down thing, but if you don't know the roads this isn't that easy. And surely it's better for people to ease off rather than panic and slam on the anchors. Which is what tends to happen. Especially when you know the scamera vans might be waiting for you.

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Out of interest, what makes you say that?

They are Police staff who are aiming a camera at cars and submitting those readings for enforcement. There is no need to take an officer away to do that task.

That was a petty comment to be honest. There's nothing stopping regular Joe from pointing a camera at someone.

I was just looking for any excuse to bash camera vans because I genuinely despise them, so I went with "impersonating a police officer".

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not blaming anyone? I've said it's my fault in fact.

I'm standing by what I say though. They preach road safety. They say they're there to make sure people slow down and save lives and it has nothing to do with making money.

Yet they position their van in a spot that will generate easy revenue from drivers like myself that wasn't paying attention to the limit change. That isn't saving lives that is there purely to make money.
They've caught you for that reason. Revenue generating or not, in that moment, you could of been driving better. Catching drivers not paying attention makes it more legitimate, not less lol.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
They've caught you for that reason. Revenue generating or not, in that moment, you could of been driving better. Catching drivers not paying attention makes it more legitimate, not less lol.

driving slower does not mean better though.

This is the problem, the road safety brigade are very quick to say that speed kills and all accidents involve speed.

I'm sure someone like the rac did a study on it years ago and worked out that less than 15% of incidents had speed as the cause.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The rules are you enter the limit at the limit (or below). The speed limit begins where the sign is not where people choose to think it starts.

It's pretty straight forward.

And let me be clear. I'm not perfect. Been caught a few times over the years. But like I said earlier I acknowledge that I'm the ONLY person to blame. Not the camera, not the camera operator, not the police nor the local authority.

It matters not to me one iota what reasoning is given for the camera being there. I knew breaking the limit was against the law so more fool me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
What people actually do is see the signs and hit the brakes

We have an area near me that goes from national in to a 50 and they sit waiting directly after it. Guy I work with got caught twice in one day slowing down from the national.

Both tickets are around 55mph as well. f**king joke.

I get the whole slowing down thing, but if you don't know the roads this isn't that easy. And surely it's better for people to ease of rather than panic and slam on the anchors. Which is what tends to happen. Especially when you know the scamera vans might be waiting for you.
But that's f**king retarded driving. That's why morons pile into the back of slowing traffic. Looking 5yd in front of the bonnet, then getting caught out by something further ahead.
What does anyone gain by slowing a few seconds later? Nothing. It's lazy driving, and it allows them to catch people.
If people stopped driving like plebs in that situation, they'd stop monitoring that stretch.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

Of course they have - it was my fault! (I know cs isn't used to this but I'm taking the blame)

However the camera is only there to generate revenue, they've increased their chances by their position.

They are not there to reduce speed and save lives. Which is what they preach and is what everyone is pissed off at.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Of course they have - it was my fault! (I know cs isn't used to this but I'm taking the blame)

However the camera is only there to generate revenue, they've increased their chances by their position.

They are not there to reduce speed and save lives. Which is what they preach and is what everyone is pissed off at.
Do you still do the same? Only slow down after the limit change? Or have you changed your driving as a consequence?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
But that's f**king retarded driving. That's why morons pile into the back of slowing traffic. Looking 5yd in front of the bonnet, then getting caught out by something further ahead.
What does anyone gain by slowing a few seconds later? Nothing. It's lazy driving, and it allows them to catch people.
If people stopped driving like plebs in that situation, they'd stop monitoring that stretch.

I agree entirely mate. But this is what we are presented with on uk roads.

And making people more nervous about their speed means it's even more likely.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Do you still do the same? Only slow down after the limit change? Or have you changed your driving as a consequence?

I would wager that the slower you make people drive the less attention they'll likely pay and the more bored they'll be ...

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I will, of course I will. So top marks to that camera, they've saved 1 in however millions of drivers speeding in the 50 yards after a speed limit change and shafted my insurance for a few years as a result.

PH2 172
I picked up a copper the other day... he says, "Just drive like I'm not here, I do 120mph around the M25 and I've been in the police for for 15 years... us officers are probably the worst for speeding"
You have to pick your moment to get up to 40mph on the M25!M25 2015-04-17 17.48.10.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

To argue against them not being sneaky, on my old commute going through a built up area where people used to do 40, there used to be a copper who would park his car way down a side street at the top of a hill and literally jump out from around a corner when he saw a car come. c**t.

Another one does similar not far from my house. My Mrs said she almost ran him over because she thought it was some fella pointing a gun at her lol.

On that same road that my commute used to be on, coming from the other direction, there's a very steep hill going around a corner, the piggy banks love to park on a grass verge, well out of sight until you've already passed them.

They purely situate themselves in low risk, high traffic areas with just enough cover to catch people out. That's why I hate them.

As I said in this thread, I've never seen any on my local roads which are used as testing grounds for which dick head can floor it the longest. That's because they're not profitable, one of the roads has had a couple of dogs ran over in the past couple of years, yet no cameras. How long before a child is ran over? I still bet they won't put a camera there because of how quiet it is.

To add to that, there's a camera outside of my work, it's a really long straight road which goes right to Airbus. It's mainly industrial estates with a few houses in the middle. You'd think the camera would be by the built up area to save lives? Naah, it's right by the industrial estate where people are obviously at risk of being run over.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I would wager that the slower you make people drive the less attention they'll likely pay and the more bored they'll be ...
I don't agree. See more stupid, phone using, coffee drinking retards on the quickest roads (mway).
Average British driver is a r****d. A window licking, dribbling utter mess. It's why they get so annoyed when you beep your horn or flash them. They have zero f**king clue what they've done, because they have zero clue what's going on around them.

I'd get rid of the pts system and replace it with bans. First offence, 1 week. 2nd within 3yrs, 1 month. Fog lights on in clear conditions, sterilisation. Etc. Watch how people suddenly start paying attention when there are real consequences.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I don't agree. See more stupid, phone using, coffee drinking retards on the quickest roads (mway).
Average British driver is a r****d. A window licking, dribbling utter mess. It's why they get so annoyed when you beep your horn or flash them. They have zero f**king clue what they've done, because they have zero clue what's going on around them.

I'd get rid of the pts system and replace it with bans. First offence, 1 week. 2nd within 3yrs, 1 month. Fog lights on in clear conditions, sterilisation. Etc. Watch how people suddenly start paying attention when there are real consequences.

Lol. Bang on <3

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
To argue against them not being sneaky, on my old commute going through a built up area where people used to do 40, there used to be a copper who would park his car way down a side street at the top of a hill and literally jump out from around a corner when he saw a car come. c**t.

Another one does similar not far from my house. My Mrs said she almost ran him over because she thought it was some fella pointing a gun at her lol.

On that same road that my commute used to be on, coming from the other direction, there's a very steep hill going around a corner, the piggy banks love to park on a grass verge, well out of sight until you've already passed them.

They purely situate themselves in low risk, high traffic areas with just enough cover to catch people out. That's why I hate them.

As I said in this thread, I've never seen any on my local roads which are used as testing grounds for which dick head can floor it the longest. That's because they're not profitable, one of the roads has had a couple of dogs ran over in the past couple of years, yet no cameras. How long before a child is ran over? I still bet they won't put a camera there because of how quiet it is.

To add to that, there's a camera outside of my work, it's a really long straight road which goes right to Airbus. It's mainly industrial estates with a few houses in the middle. You'd think the camera would be by the built up area to save lives? Naah, it's right by the industrial estate where people are obviously at risk of being run over.
People used to say the same about police waiting by pubs on a Friday night. There was a time when drink driving wasn't a socially unacceptable crime, so people considered it unfair for the police to go for the easy targets.
In the situation above, of them waiting around a corner, I don't care. Because genuinely, in a 40, I'm not going over the limit so the c**t can't get me.