ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How you get rid of a camera van ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mhmm not sure really. So these are just employed to catch people speeding but not actually the police etc.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
And not commit crime, murder, rape etc. Maybe in the perfect world lol. Everyone speeds intentional or not

Clio 197
Intentional or not, it's illegal in the eyes of the law and how it's comparable to rape/murder i'm not sure. I'm no angel myself but it seems like these people are going out of their way because they have nothing better do to. Surely all the van driver will be doing is going to another spot. Although i'm sure we'd all agree the money is better spent hiring real traffic officers and catching people pissing about on their phones

Clio 197
So all the more reason for these vans being there in the first place and deterring or catching speeders?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I know that ultimately it's my fault if I speed, but camera vans are a nasty way of doing it really.

Normal speed cameras are an elephant trap - they're a big object at the side of the road, or mounted on a fecking massive gantry with huge signs on it, and if you can't reduce your speed to even the speed limit, let alone stopping, then either you were driving too fast to stop within your viewing distance, or you weren't paying enough attention and therefore probably shouldn't be speeding either. (or they've left the camera set at 50 when the gantry's set to 70, if that's possible)

However, you can't see a camera van, you're given no warning. You just go around a corner and it'll be a tiny white speck parked on an overbridge or something the best part of a kilometre away. And the moment you see it, it's too late. To me that's not the same thing, because if you're speeding only slightly, even though you could stop in 1/20th of the distance to the camera, you've still been done and there's sod all you can do about it.

It's a c**t's trick, but it's a legal c**t's trick.

Clio 197
I know that ultimately it's my fault if I speed, but camera vans are a nasty way of doing it really.

Normal speed cameras are an elephant trap - they're a big object at the side of the road, or mounted on a fecking massive gantry with huge signs on it, and if you can't reduce your speed to even the speed limit, let alone stopping, then either you were driving too fast to stop within your viewing distance, or you weren't paying enough attention and therefore probably shouldn't be speeding either. (or they've left the camera set at 50 when the gantry's set to 70, if that's possible)

However, you can't see a camera van, you're given no warning. You just go around a corner and it'll be a tiny white speck parked on an overbridge or something the best part of a kilometre away. And the moment you see it, it's too late. To me that's not the same thing, because if you're speeding only slightly, even though you could stop in 1/20th of the distance to the camera, you've still been done and there's sod all you can do about it.

It's a c**t's trick, but it's a legal c**t's trick.
What sort of leeway is there with camera vans? Is it also 10% +2mph?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
The whole speed kills thing is a bit of a joke really

Some of the most dangerous people on the road are the slow ones who pay no attention and dither about. And the slower you make everyone go, the less attention they will pay.

Scamera vans will happily nab you for being slightly over the limit but actually paying attention to what is going on. Totally wrong.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of leeway is there with camera vans? Is it also 10% +2mph?

That leeway is a guidance - they can choose to do you at 71mph if they so wish, and that applies to any camera or copper. Police Scotland said a while back they were getting rid of the leeway and going straight in from the limit onwards, although that could well just be a lip service statement.

Clio 197
That leeway is a guidance - they can choose to do you at 71mph if they so wish, and that applies to any camera or copper. Police Scotland said a while back they were getting rid of the leeway and going straight in from the limit onwards, although that could well just be a lip service statement.
Knowing Scotland's attitude to speeders, especially those from south of the border, I wouldn't be surprised if they're serious.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Very hard to enforce id imagine with the difference in speedo readings on every vehicle.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Did lol at the first one.

North wales camera vans are proper c***s.

And as much as I hate the bellends who make these 'I'm clever for recording the police' videos, I hate the mobile cameras more so, top work lads.

I can't believe they're not police officers too! That should not be allowed.

They're not improving road safety, they're making revenue. c***s

Clio 197
60mph you get a kick out of?
Do you get out of second gear?
Not sure why my posts have touched a nerve but the answer to both your questions is yes. Once I get more disposable income i'll hopefully be able to attend some trackdays.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The whole speed kills thing is a bit of a joke really

Some of the most dangerous people on the road are the slow ones who pay no attention and dither about. And the slower you make everyone go, the less attention they will pay.

Scamera vans will happily nab you for being slightly over the limit but actually paying attention to what is going on. Totally wrong.

Yup. People around here love merging onto motorways at 50/60, some c***s even do it at 40 Ffs! Then they'll crack on being a hinderance for the next few miles until they get beeped or flashed out of the way. But these c***s don't get any fines or bollockings for being a massive hinderance/danger.

Also, speaking of not paying attention, I had some bint so casually pull out on me the other day, hesitate for a second, then cut straight in front of me.

It was only when I hammered the horn and skidded in front of her* that she looked from straight ahead with her cunting woman blinkers on.

*the works van tyres were worse than I anticipated at dealing with moist roads. And I wasn't going that fast, I was in a huge van, going around a busy roundabout.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
In Portsmouth the MP said they dont agree with them or something and told everyone they arent switched off permanetly.

Just waiting for them to turn them back on though..

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Since I've been nicked speeding I spend a lot more time looking at the speedo and less time looking at the road

Counter productive
Really? I've never understood that sort of comment , it's not difficult to maintain a consistent speed without constantly looking at the speedo.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Have you been to Scotland?

If not, you'll have a heart attack. I've never seen so many unnecessary cameras. They have more cameras than cars I'm sure

Nah, due to go before xmas so sounds like fun.

There completely pointless because there's always some feckless tool doing 50 tapping on the brakes causing tail backs irregardless of the variable limit.
If there going to do it properly they should be fined for going too slow as well.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Really? I've never understood that sort of comment , it's not difficult to maintain a consistent speed without constantly looking at the speedo.

i disagree as well

It's f**king impossible on my motorbike. Slight bump and you gain 10mph from a minuscule wrist movement that you can't even feel!

Even my van it's easy to not notice 5 or so mph. Which is often enough to get done.

Clio 182 - RB
Its a hard one, they've got a job to do and possibly a family to provide for and maybe they can't find another job. Although, I hate them, totally agree with most comments on here, to55ers, purposely trying to catch people.

Also dislike Police, but I bet their nice people without the uniform on. For some reason they think they have power once its on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Very hard to enforce id imagine with the difference in speedo readings on every vehicle.

That's your problem though, not theirs.

Normal coppers are great people, and probably the camera operators are too - it's the people telling them where to go and do their job that are the problem.