ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HOW UNINFORMED !!!!!!!

why do coppers always talk b****cks and think they can drive because they have had police training.

Makes me laugh :devilish:

hope your at bedford renault track day so i can kick ya ass (on track)

MrDemon

ps 80 kg is quite a lot imo.

oh well here we go again

some valid points made by blaze but also some snobbery coming from him too

oh well, i wont make any ohter comment then that

bite my bottom lip and let it go :mad:

think there is a lot of snoobery inj this club now which is a shame and the only boys that are not a part of it are the 1.2 and RT boys which alli can think of are enjoying there cars for what they are worth and im sure will have faster cars if they could but gotta settle for what they got

Cup snobbery my arse. I bought a cup because renault had put the 172 on a diet, meaning that I didnt need to go on one. Ive gone from 174bhp in a 1300kg Golf VR6 to 172bhp in a 1021kg cup: result = I can still be a fat b*****d.

Cup owners will be gutted if we get any 80 degree days this summer. Anyone know of an after market air conditioning kit???

CTR EK9 turbo

how much does petrol weigh - 50 litres is about 45 kg i think? Mine feels way faster when its low on fuel. Is optimax lighter than SUL? ;)

the funny thing is why the f**k do we give two sh*ts that someone elses car is faster than our own ? if they are willing to spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to make their car faster than mine then thats upto them but they will just have to live with the reduced re-sale value that their car will have because of what they have done to it.

i always find it funny when people spend thousands of pounds on car insurance when they get a fast car as i just cant understand why they would want too, i suppose id rather spend my money on other things / people but again that is me everyone else can do what they like its their money.

so i suppose we come to why did i chose my car. well i basically wanted a newish car so i didnt have to pay extra just to loose it when i actually picked the keys up. i wanted a small car that had a bit of poke about it that wasnt going to cost the earth to buy, run and insure.

so then why did i choose my mk2 172 over any other car i could have basically bought any car i wanted and did think about skylines, galant vr4s, scoobies, evos, TVRs, CTRs, ITRs and other such cars

but i spotted my mk 2 172 and just i suppose fell in love with it it also fitted all my criteria, i could have had the cup but i dont actually like the colour, the wheels, the interior the lack of equipment for just the small increse in speed that is really only of any use on a track as if you are actually pushing it hard enough to need the extra grip that the cup provides you are driving far far too fast for a public road

why didnt i chose a mk1 well i preffer the looks of the mk 2 and the age was also of concern.

yeah i would have loved a willy but again they are just too old.

in the end i chose my car as it fitted what i wanted not because i felt i had to be able to beat every car on the road and i know i cant. in the end im very happy with my purchase it costs me almost nothing a month my payrise paid for it, my insurance isnt bad and most of all I LOVE MY CAR

sorry about the length and the spelling and the punctuation :D

mike

ps im not trying to upset anyone

Top response Mike. Mk2s are cute. My wife suggested I have a go in one, when all I thought I wanted was an impreza, a CTR or an ITR. My Clio makes me smile.

CTR EK9 turbo

"The thing I wish this forum had is a grammar/spelling correcter! I feel like Im turning into a English teacher, wielding a great big red pen and wanting to cross half of it out and start again! I know not everyone is that great at getting stuff down on a page but *pleeeease* can we have a few more full stops at least? Its like one big breathless sentence half the time!

Anyway, thats MY rant for the day over. And my flame suit is firmly on! ;) :D"

Please write out "I must spell the word PLEASE correctly" 10 times ;)

320d M Sport

do we not think blaze has a point saying that hes sick of seeing people post that cups have different gear ratios, higher torque, rev limit etc etc!? i do

Sorry to spoil your moment blaze but as more and more buy cups there is a hell of a difference in them from the 172 Mk1 and 2 - jAsk any cup owner on here who has had theyre STANDARD cup RRd and just look at the power output figures they are getting - some have been getting 186bhp+ AS STANDARD and also I hate to say it but you know the Aircon unit in Mk1 and 2s - well that very useful box of cold air trickery (not really much use in UK though) automatically looses 5% of engine power whether its on or off. Best to rip it out me thinks!

BMW X5, Exige 260.

...but all the hostility is coming from non-cup owners....smacks of jealousy to me.

Who cares a feck, as far as cars go Renault Clios are not very far from the bottom of the tree. If people were getting so wound up over the difference between an F40 and 911 GT2 then i might understand!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by zoog on 10 April 2003

...but all the hostility is coming from non-cup owners....smacks of jealousy to me.
You have to ask yourself.. as stated before how can a 172 owner be jelous of the Cup ??? If I really wanted a Cup I would sell my 172 and buy one. Then go on a world cruise with the remaining money.. or maybe I would spend that money on some new seats.. climate control... aircon.. heat reflective window.. A spare wheel..ooops but then I would have a 172 again.

have you seen the difference in what the 172 looks inside compared to the Cup.. never have I ever or will be even remotly slightly jelous of a version of my car with all the good bits taken out.

Oh and as for snobbery .. how can a cup owner be a snob when the 172 is more expensive and more luxurious if you like the Cup is like the base model 172..

kdf exactly what i tried to say i could have had a cup but i chose not too i decided i could do without the little extra speed for the luxurys of the 172

and the little extra speed dont matter my new second car will be able to beat you all everywhere anytime at any speed (when i get it)

TT 225

This thread is getting very silly. Re the hostilities - i have people add me to their MSN and ask if they are welcome on cliosport because its just full of 172 owners who talk down to them

I personally havent come across this - but if thats the message going out to potential new members then surely something is afoot :(

I bought my car because it was cheap and I could afford it - and every single time I get into the drivers seat it makes me smile! Im positive there are better cars out there - but until i get a huge rise at work and can afford to run my own place comfortably the willy is staying put :)

VW Potato

yes, it is a worry when new people feel put off.

my own impression of someone is determined by what they post/say, not what they drive.

g

The original post was just illiterate waffle!

I havent noticed snobbery on the forum and im on it 24/7..

I can only presume Blaze hasnt driven all variations of the 172 as they are all very different to drive once you start to push.

-Rob

I havent bothered to read all three pages just half of the first before i came to my conclusion. I own a CUP and NO i dont parade around sayin mine is faster than yours! Blaze wtf is up with you?! did someone with a cup crash into you?! Theres alot of hate in that message! dont mock the experience or sensilbilty of young drivers we dont all think were Colin F**king Macrae! Dont try to pigeon hole us, if youve got a prob with a few CUP owners dont take it out on all of us, being older id assume youd have some wisdom and knowledge and would show due respect but to be honest you seem to know nothing! cos your sure as hell dont know me and are tryin to put me in that group! Dont Hate fella! Find something else to waste 15mins of your life writing about!

Clio 197

I have a Willy right now, but if I were to sell it today I would go for the Cup/Ragnotti.

I would then fit some racing seats. That is about all I would do to it.

The seats are crap in the Cup because they are meant to be taken out.

Ten years from now what car do you think will be worth more? The Cup or the 172?

I dont want AC or any of the extras. It is heavy! I want a new version of the Willy and the Cup is it!

Blaze does have a point about the "race" stories posted here though. It isnt a race unless it is on a track and everybody knows they are racing!

Yeah but at the end of the day its nice to gauge the car against others, and it seems everyone likes reading the posts as well. If someone doesnt like it they dont have to read it, its not like theyre forced to believe everything someone says.

-Rob

Renault Laguna Coupe

I dont think there is real snobbery on here. Healthy debate, yes; leg-pulling, yes (and why not?).

When Renault introduced the 172 it was only available in Silver, and everyone agreed what a nice car it was. Next thing you know its available in lots of different colours and were all arguing about which colour is best! (the answer turned out to be RED, by the way)....

Now we have different levels of trim on a 172 and theres even more arguing. Great! If we didnt argue we wouldnt have much to talk about!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 10 April 2003

the answer turned out to be RED, by the way...
LOL, i think you meant silver.. the original and the best..

ten years from now the 172 would be worth more than the cup due to the fact everyone in their cups is going to have used them on track days changed everything in them and tested that extra grip so much that they hit a tree when it isnt gripping anymore ;) as they are all trying to prove just how much faster they are hehe

my little 1300 car will beat any renault ever built except f1 too 100 and over the 1/4 mile :D so there and it wont cost more than 5k

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 10 April 2003

I havent noticed snobbery on the forum and im on it 24/7..
Was that a joke??

You could almost rename this site ClioSnobs at times.....

CTR EK9 turbo

The only thing im interested in finding out about is the real figures for the cars (ideally weight) and accurate ones at that.

I would love a CUP but cant be arsed (dont have enough money/time etc) to change my car for one and i like my car. If the CUP had been available when i was buying my car, id have probably bought one. I really like them, a lot! does anyone want my A/C!? Ive probably used it about 3 times, as opposed to when we lived in Texas we used it in conjunction with the engine being on! i.e. all the time. Although there are moments when youd need it (long hot traffic queue), so i guess its pretty good. Wonder how much it weighs?

Im not sure about snobbery, what do people mean by this and as Rob says, is there an example of it that someone can copy and paste here? The only person ive noticed that was in that category was the guy who made that racist remark a while back - he/she(?) owned a 2.0 litre clio that wasnt a 172. And he kept going on about "base model" owners starting with a higher model instead of modding or something.