ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to tie down a Subwoofer

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender
OK, got my subwoofer working :D I want to keep it firmly on the floor. Are there any good ways about doing this. I duno how I could bolt it... But any ideas are welcome :)

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
Fake floor, thats what i did, got a bit of i think 18mm MDF, covered it in a black leather material, and then screwed the sub box down to the MDF! Worked a treat!

Storm Grey 200
You can bolt it to the floor, put a bracket on it, and stick a bolt through.

Or do what i did, which was to make a false floor, and strap it in ghetto style.

Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique
I havent done this yet but I was thinking of getting like sticky velcro pads and sticking one side to the carpet and the other to the sub.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Take the sub out of the box, Drill through the bottom of the box and through the floor and wack a bolt in :)

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
I havent done this yet but I was thinking of getting like sticky velcro pads and sticking one side to the carpet and the other to the sub.

My mate did that, didn't work to good! sub still flew everywhere!

421 Cammed 172
I wouldn't bolt it to the floor.

If it's bolted to the floor it's alot of fiddling through if you ever need to dispose of a body. Thats the last thing you need when you've got somethin to do urgently!!

Mine tends to stay still on it's own so i can just pop it out quick when the need arises!

corsa ecoflex
I wouldn't bolt it to the floor.

Mine tends to stay still on it's own so i can just pop it out quick when the need arises!

i had mine bolted in to my last car..that way if you ever get hit from behind you know its not gonna go anywhere...i would never leave it loose in the boot,and velcro pads will not help at all

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i velcroed myne to my carpet, ahhh the days of a sub woofer, i miss my two 15" alpines

421 Cammed 172
Mines on the passenger side so won't get me and if it does come flying thru on the passenger side it'll mean the mortgage gets paid off! ;)

Clio1.2 16v & LR Defender
I think Ill get some of those heavy duty velcro strips. Its in the boot in the cornor so it cant really move that much anyway.

172 Cup
Just go OTT with the velcro & it'll stick like sh1t to a blanket even when enthusiastically tripod cornering at speed :approve:

Evo 8 MR
I used a false floor setup and then fixed it to that, also hid the amplifier and all the wires underneath it and seperated it into two sections so I can add another amp later.

Photo-0003-18.jpg

1.2 Clio
As you can see.
2 massive batteries (35kg each)
1 Huge sub (31kg)
A load of box (~5kg)

SN201749.jpg

And still i have it bolted 8 times over into the floor mate!!!
I'd give it a miss thanks if that was coming towards me when the car decides to roll its way in a side collision on a country lane, thanks anyway.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
^^ bet that hums abit, i had a similar sub (RE XXXv3 15") in a slightly smaller box,

thinking about it now, im incredibly lucky i didnt crash because i used the weight of it to keep it in place :S

Aye mine was all bolted in as it weight a ton. Literally. And if i crashed i didn't want that coming towards my head and breaking my neck.

Being said. I'd use velcro if its only a womans sub.

1.2 Clio
is that wadding you have used in the box? if so is that to make it sound larger than it is?

Yeh, wadding makes the sub think it's in a larger box (due to the compression of the air easier than compressing the wadding). However it also dampens the box, so you slightly lose a bit of DB on your peak (2db ish). Yet you easily gain that back from bottom end with the sub thinking it's a larger box.

BLK RSC172
i used to have mine tied down this way... using a strap straight over the top...
dosent look like anything special but worked a treat.
bootold.jpg

vaux cavalier
I have family in the emergency services, I know through them what a poorly mounted sub can do....

Tales of rear seats being torn from their mounts due to heavy weight subs, subs that have simply torn themselves free from the enclosure due to being mounted with screws....One driver even remarked how he seen his XXX 15" sub disappear under his front passenger seat at the point of impact, then reappear in the front footwell a mangled mess seconds later, he was lucky....

Its fine bolting down the enclosure, but will the enclosure withstand rapid deceleration, or will the screws holding the sub ???

I've come across a few pre-fab enclosures that have burst at the seams under normal use, in the event of a high energy impact or rapid deceleration these would simply collapse....

Always bolt the enclosure down, always glue & screw your enclosures, always use T nuts to mount the sub....

330Ci (Fail)Sport
A car pulled out infront of me when I was doing 55mph. I reckon I hit it around 25-40, no idea it was all so quick. Mk2s might fare better with the isofix bar. Only fitted it a day or two before and hadn't had a chance to secure it.

Picture54.jpg

I've found Halfords heavy duty velcro strips work very well. But as wallop says above, it'll be much better if bolted. Think I'll refit my isofix soon.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
the easiest way is to build a false floor, build a wood frame with either a solid mdf board on it so you can maximise bootspace or with an amp window. the sub box is sunk into the floor, trapping it in place

heres one in my clio and one in my bros old car

install.jpg

boot1.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You people with the false floors don't yout amps get stupidly hot with no ventilation try some computer fans within your build they are 12v anyway,you don't wanna start no car fires.I used a good old mini ratchet strap to hold my box and 3 amps all in place

vaux cavalier
A car pulled out infront of me when I was doing 55mph. I reckon I hit it around 25-40, no idea it was all so quick. Mk2s might fare better with the isofix bar. Only fitted it a day or two before and hadn't had a chance to secure it.

Picture54.jpg

I've found Halfords heavy duty velcro strips work very well. But as wallop says above, it'll be much better if bolted. Think I'll refit my isofix soon.

the easiest way is to build a false floor, build a wood frame with either a solid mdf board on it so you can maximise bootspace or with an amp window. the sub box is sunk into the floor, trapping it in place

heres one in my clio and one in my bros old car

install.jpg

boot1.jpg

Look at the seat damage in the top pic, this damage was caused by a similar weighted sub to the bottom two pics....

If it were a heavy weight sub involved in the top pic, then the whole thing would have penetrated through into the cabin area & could have caused a fatality....

As they say, the choice is yours mate....

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Look at the seat damage in the top pic, this damage was caused by a similar weighted sub to the bottom two pics....

If it were a heavy weight sub involved in the top pic, then the whole thing would have penetrated through into the cabin area & could have caused a fatality....

As they say, the choice is yours mate....

the false floor holds the sub box in place, the only reason why the first one nearly entered the cabin is because it was not held in place by a frame / floor meaning it can slide around the boot. therefore in heavy deceleration it has space to move and gain momentum. as the others are trapped in position they cannot move meaning they wont gain the force to smash through the rear seats

"Navy" N17 TWO
For all you Velcro fans, prepare to DUCK if you ever have to brake!

Fair enough it might not get the grand tour of your boot when going around a roundabout but if you have to make an emergency stop it will come past the rear seats and fly towards the windscreen.

Get it bolted in - be safe :)

Evo 8 MR
This thread has made me think twice, I have screwed mine down to a false floor but only has one screw either side and they don't penetrate the floor by much, they stop it moving around but I don't think it would fair too well in a crash.

I'll have to improve it, looks like nuts and bolts are recommended.