ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to Respray Clio Bullets. Guide? Feedback Please.

Basically, I've made a guide on how I sprayed my Bullets.
I wasn't sure if anyone was just allowed to post in the guide section?
so I thought I'd post it here first?
Also if anyone has any feedback on how I did it, maybe something I missed, feel free to comment and I'll adapt it. But how I've described worked for me anyway.

Thanks

How to Colour Code / Respray Clio Bullets

Please Note this is not the definitive guide on spraying bullets, but just how I did mine, which seem to work for me. Similarly several areas are down to individual interpretation, and the amount of prep work is down to how much of a perfectionist you are!

I used the same process for doing my Diamonds, wheels & bump strips, but obviously being larger areas, it is much more important to get a smooth surface when preparing, sanding between the coats to make sure you have a smooth finish plus making sure you have a good thickness of each coat.
As the bullets are quite small, it doesn't matter quite as much.

Step 1: Preparation
- Firstly remove the Bullet, it is held on by three clips, just use a flat head screw driver covered in tape to prevent scratching, and carefully prise it off.
- The first thing we need to do is prepare the bullets for painting. To do this we need to sand them down to remove any shine so that the primer we spray on will 'key' to the plastic. Mine being Non-Sport bullets were easy to sand down, but it's just as simple with the silver R.Sport Bullets.
- To do this I used various grades of sandpapers. Starting with the lowest, to initially remove the shine, then using a few slightly higher grades of paper, just to make the surface a bit smoother for when we prime it.

DSC01002.jpg

Step 2: Priming
- The next step is to prime the Bullets.
- Firstly it is a good idea to give the bullets a clean, to remove any excess dust particles from the sanding. Either run them under water or use a cloth to clean them, before leaving to dry.
- Once dry, the Bullet is ready for spraying. I used Blu-Tack to stick my Bullet to an upside down pudding pot, so when it comes to spraying, you can get to all sides of the bullet.
- Now we can get down to spraying. I used Halfords Grey Primer but its up to you. Test spray the Primer on newspaper, so you can get used to spraying it, then move onto the bullet. Do several light coats, leaving roughly 15 minutes between coats, to ensure you don't get drip marks. Remember to do the sides.
- Once you have got a thick enough coat you are happy with, leave it to dry.

DSC01006.jpg

Step 3: Basecoat
- Once the Primer is dry, check the surface for any uneven or rough areas. If so wet sand them lightly with a high grade sandpaper, although as the bullets are small you don't need to worry too much, especially round the letters.
- Now we come on to spraying the Basecoat Colour. For mine I used Halfords Peugeot Steel Grey. Again similar to priming do several coats of the colour, use several light coats, repeating if necessary until you have covered the Bullet with an even coat.
- Leave to dry.

DSC00062.jpg

Step 4: Painting the Lettering
- Once you are happy the basecoat is dry, its time to do the lettering.
- I used a Halfords Gloss Black Touch Up Pen, to match my bodywork. You can do it how you like, but I used the Brush that came with the pen, very carefully going round the letters until I had a nice, relatively even coat, and had covered all areas of the letters, including the sides.
- A few tips:
I used a small piece of card to hold next to the part of the lettering I was painting, to give a nice straight line, and in case I knocked the brush accidentally.
Be very careful of getting to much paint on the brush, always dab it on some newspaper before touching the bullet.
I found it much easier if I supported my hand holding the brush with my other hand.
If you do get some paint around the letters, if your quick use a bit of card to lift it away. If not wait for it to dry then lightly sand it off.
- Leave to Dry.

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

Step 5: Lacquering
- Once you are happy with the lettering, and have left it to dry, the final thing to do is the Lacquer. Again there are various ways of preparing before you spray the Lacquer. I just really lightly wet sanded any areas of imperfections on the letters or bullet with P1200 paper.
- Now you are ready to spray the Lacquer. This is the hardest one of the three to spray I found. Again do several very light coats, building up until the whole Bullet is covered, and there is a nice shine. Remember the Lacquer is very thick, so spray very carefully to avoid drip lines, especially round the letters. If you do get a drip, wait until dry and just wet sand it very lightly with a high grade Sand paper, before continuing spraying.
- Leave to Dry.

DSC01033.jpg

Step 6: Finished
- Once you have left the Bullet to dry, it's time to refit the bullet. Just pop it on, stand back and admire!

DSC00960.gif

Any Questions just send me a PM
James28 :)

Clio 182
Nice one mate, thanks for taking the time to write the guide and take pics too. Think I'm gonna go for some black bullets myself!

Clio 172
Nice guide fella. Im gonna b doin mine Ford Graphite Grey with red writing either this weekend or next weekend

Thanks for the feedback!
Yea your right a finer brush probably would've been easier.
Although I managed with the brush I used.
Just test it a little to find whichever suits you best I guess.
Whatever you use just take it really really slowly, if you rush that's when your not so careful and make mistakes.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice guide mate and that's from a guy who works in a bodyshop.

The little card idea is ideal for getting it perfect round the letters, many people done it free hand no doubt.

Nice finish.

Thankyou very much. praise indeed! :)

Yea the card was a great help, although some bits were slightly easier free hand. Its all about working out what's best for you really.

Although I would still recommend people paint it really carefully, as if the card's not there. Don't just think oh I'll just chuck the paint on and the card will keep it neat, because if your not careful the paint can easily get under the little bit of card and ruin it. And you won't realise till you lift the bit of card off, by which time it may have dried slightly, so will be harder to clean the excess off.

So again just take it slow, use as small amount of paint as possible, and do little bits at a time!

Edit: Its now in the Guide section too :)

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I had a read through it before I approved it mate and it seem't fine, exactly what I have done in the past:)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great guide. :)

That Halfords lacquer was the exact same one that I used but reacted badly with the background paint. :( A bit pissed off really as (for me anyway) I'd done a great job and not smudged or run the paint off the lettering anywhere. It was a specific gloss paint made for plastic as well, but clearly the paint and the lacquer didn't agree with one another.

Your guide has made me think about redoing them - lol!

D.

Glad to be of some use to some people lol.
Thankyou Boosh :)

Darren that's quite strange. I've done quite a few bits this way including my alloys and never had a problem.
I just used the standard primer, standard car paint for the basecoat and just standard lacquer.

I know what you mean about being frustrating, the bullet I did before this, had it all done and put one last coat of Lacquer on, came back and the newspaper had blown and stuck to the lacquer. Then I went to sand it down where it stuck and the lacquer wasn't properly dry. So I ruined it. Ended up throwing it away I got so angry with it lol.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Standard primer doesn't usually key to plastic aswell.

People should be buying plastic primer.

Darren the lacquer will have reacted to the basecoat, sometimes the basecoat reacts with the primer and causes the cracked look.

Standard primer doesn't usually key to plastic aswell.

People should be buying plastic primer.

Darren the lacquer will have reacted to the basecoat, sometimes the basecoat reacts with the primer and causes the cracked look.

That is true. But I've done my bullets, bump strips and Diamonds all with standard Lacquer. Works fine for me.

renaultsport clio 182
great guide and great job m8 think im gonna try it this wknd although when i paint it i'll want it a different color by next wknd lol, anyone got any pics of there painted bullets on a racing blue ph2?? :rasp: