ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to get a bit more torque out of my 172??

PH2 172
wondering if any one could give me a bit of help/advice on getting a bit more torque outta the 172, im getting a new cat back exhaust, havent decided which yet though and an modified inlet, just wondered if theres anything else i could do thats not mega bucks??

PH2 172
i was supposed to put apart from mapping, sorry, ive been looking at an RS tuner is it difficult to do yourself, not very good with CPUs ha,
is it a big job to put new cams in??

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Cams is a big job unless your needing to do belts anyway. . RSTuner is easy and there's a guide

RB 182 Cup
i was supposed to put apart from mapping, sorry, ive been looking at an RS tuner is it difficult to do yourself, not very good with CPUs ha,
is it a big job to put new cams in??

If I can do the RStuner myself, you can do it (I'm useless with computers). You just need a laptop and a battery charger. It also comes with full instructions on how to do it and it transforms the mid-range torque.

PH2 172
RS tuner it is then, cheers guys :D im pretty new to engine mods, its always just been suspension, brakes, alloys and induction, one more thing do you know of a reasonably quiet aftermarket exhaust? i do about 80 miles a day so dont want the drone on the motorways

RS tuner it is then, cheers guys :D im pretty new to engine mods, its always just been suspension, brakes, alloys and induction, one more thing do you know of a reasonably quiet aftermarket exhaust? i do about 80 miles a day so dont want the drone on the motorways

Oreca group N is supposed to be quite good. Youtube it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RS Tuner will give you a moderate increase in a small part of the rev range.
Exhaust / filter etc wont do anything you notice other than more noise really.

Cams do make a difference but its still only going to be 10% or so and cost the value of your car including fitting and mapping.

Unless you are prepared to spend big for small increases, just enjoy the way the car handles instead, thats what they are for not top speed runs.

PH2 172
yeah i understand that mate, just after a bit more pull really, a steady constant pull would be nice, would an exhaust not make a difference? ive always thought they did when ive put them on other cars suppose that could be more of a placebo thing with the noise though :/

There's quite a lot of threads covering this already and the short story is if you want more power/torque then your wallet best be deep. Air filter/exhaust/remap won't add much, if anything, but a decent map can make the car a lot more drivable.

PH2 172
Yeah I've spoke to Chi mate, cheers though, surely though if I get a decent cat back and matched inlet manifold, then map it, it should make some difference, please correct me if im wrong, like I said im new to 'tuning'

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
It won't, be minimal. Although with out lay of cost etc will make you think its super fast. With these cars concentrate on grip, brakes etc. unless you spend big money your not going to get big gains.

but, it will be nicer to drive with the bits your thinking of doing.

PH2 172
Thanks alot for your help mate, probs just get the manifold and the tuner for the time being then, already got an eibach pro kit waiting to be fitted and full set of Yoko S drives on it new discs and pads, so I think that'll do unless someone gives me a few grand for throttle bodies haha

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Better flow, its 4 into 2 into 1.

Its not an easy fit though, if you can do it yourself then its worth it.
If you have to pay someone then its not.

Sub frame off to fit or engine out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
182 manifold does make a difference if you are actually looking on a rolling road graph or at an AFR plot etc, but nothing you would ever notice when driving IME, having a half or a full tank of fuel will make more difference to your cars performance!

PH2 172
Would CNC'd 172 one not be better? And I have a friend who's a mechanic, who'd pretty much do it for nothing anyway. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would CNC'd 172 one not be better? And I have a friend who's a mechanic, who'd pretty much do it for nothing anyway. :)

People were talking about the exhaust one mate.

On the inlet side, yes a matched one is *slightly* better than a standard one.

But all the mods mentioned in this thread added up wont make as much difference as you will have lost if your cam timing isnt spot on.

PH2 172
Yeah I thought it was further than tbh mate, had a look last night, depends on what will be cheaper petrol/postage, and could anyone recommend a good place to get it checked in northwest?

Evo 5 RS
Depends on how realistic you're being when you say you want more torque. forced induction is basically your only route

PH2 172
Depends on how realistic you're being when you say you want more torque. forced induction is basically your only route
im not after silly gains just a bit more pull low down, well as far through the range as i could, but from what everyones said thats not really possible without turbo/throttle bodies etc, im gonna do a few basic mods and see about 6-9 months down the line and may get throttle bodies, if i can convince the missus :p

53 Clio's & counting
im not after silly gains just a bit more pull low down, well as far through the range as i could, but from what everyones said thats not really possible without turbo/throttle bodies etc, im gonna do a few basic mods and see about 6-9 months down the line and may get throttle bodies, if i can convince the missus :p

as pretty much everyone has said, getting power out of these engines is not too easy (bear in mind they are based on the 138bhp unit out of the Espace/Laguna, so they are already 'tuned' as it were) but what does make a difference is a remap - the standard cars have the '5k kick' - decent maps smooth this out and gives a better power delivery :)

PH1 loads of boost!

If you want more pull low down you need forced induction. The F4r is designed to be revved, not to give you decent mid range. TBH the standard engine has more than enough power for you to have a lot of fun on twisty roads, not the fastest thing in a stright line but good on b-roads if you keep the revs high.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want more pull low down you need forced induction. The F4r is designed to be revved, not to give you decent mid range. TBH the standard engine has more than enough power for you to have a lot of fun on twisty roads, not the fastest thing in a stright line but good on b-roads if you keep the revs high.

Trouble is the F4R actually ISNT "designed to be revved", its designed to be moderately torquey in the midrange if you look at things like the bore and stroke and rod ratio of the bottom end, but then renault tuned it to rev, which means its a massive compromise, you have an engine that doesnt naturally want to rev, being used out of its comfort zone geometry wise just because its got fairly hot cams.
What an F4R design really lends itself well to is 5Krpm and a bar of boost!

Vw caddy tdi
Dont bother with cat back imo go for caf ducting into a ph1 airbox itg panel filter, remap, matched inlets in that order then if flush maybe a sports cat and possibly larger tb.