ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

***How much is it worth?***

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thinking of selling my phase 1. Well, I am selling it as I need the room in my garage.

Iceberg, 56k, belts have couple of years left, interior is in good condition with a refurbed steering wheel.
Exterior has a few marks and a slight crack in the passenger wing.
Lowered on springs and some sort of powerflow exhaust.

What we looking at?
Lost amongst all this chit chat

You could go down the route of coming to look at my “overpriced” 182 lol
You are starting to find out the same as l did....genuinely good ones are hard to find.

Lotus, well yes, l had an Elise S2, great car but good ones start at four times the price of a good Clio 172/182.

It’s not so much genuinely good ones, it is the clown sellers like the one I dealt with who think they are selling a trophy! Honestly people need to get a grip - that’s why there is a lot out there just not selling...cars should sell in a couple of weeks not months! You see some of the prices and then all of a sudden you’re in 2006+ Mini Cooper s territory or even R32s!

I’m probably going to buy a lotus exige, obviously different budget to a 182 but it will let me keep my sanity as the owners tend to be a tad more mature and decent examples aplenty! I’m off to look at the classifieds !

I like your one, but not at what you’re asking I’m afraid - my original offer stands and I may have £100-£150 type of movement, but I get the sense you don’t want to let it go due to the intangible value you place on it (labour of love and all that)! Just be quick if you are willing to let it go with some negotiation as I need to move quick in the exige market before people start thinking of spring track days!!!!

Land Rover
An Exige is a different ball game. Have you looked at the Elise S
With 220bhp not much will get past you. And they are a whole lot cheaper than the Exige.

Land Rover
I am driving it! We were out in it tonight. It’s not a lot of money for a car this nice.

I did look at Mini Coopers, but having had a new one back in 2002 l found the standard one lacklustre
The Cooper S is much better of course but again l looked at a few and couldn’t find a good one at this money.

You can easily pay more than
£3,000 for a MK4 Cortina.

dan's cast offs.
Thinking of selling my phase 1. Well, I am selling it as I need the room in my garage.

Iceberg, 56k, belts have couple of years left, interior is in good condition with a refurbed steering wheel.
Exterior has a few marks and a slight crack in the passenger wing.
Lowered on springs and some sort of powerflow exhaust.

What we looking at?

easily £3,000. more if it hasn't had many owners and got plenty of history.

Land Rover
Then it’s all about condition

I had a MK5 Cortina 1.6L. Memories are of burning the old void bushes out and then blathering the new ones with a hammer to get them into the suspension linkages (didn’t have the proper tool)

MOT guy said “somebody has given that some ****ing therapy”

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Well, apparently the other person cannot come until tomorrow morning now - so he asked me to wait until then. I got fed up and told him that I'm withdrawing my offer and will look elsewhere. He did the usual you won't find a better car etc. Clowns.

Will come back to this next year as can't be asked to mess around or drive around the country or overpay. Plenty of other cars to try - maybe i'll go down the lotus route!

All the best gents, been a pleasure :)

I think thats a sensible idea. Would be keen to know what Lotus will fit within the 3k budget though.

I think thats a sensible idea. Would be keen to know what Lotus will fit within the 3k budget though.

If you read my posts further up I think you'll find the reference to budget, as i'm well aware of what cars actually cost to buy - i got that experience after 2 decades of owning many performance cars :)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If you read my posts further up I think you'll find the reference to budget, as i'm well aware of what cars actually cost to buy - i got that experience after 2 decades of owning many performance cars :)

Sorry not seeing it, but there have been quite a few posts in between i'm sure!

Not doubting your finances or budget, just seems like an odd frame of mind as Clio to Lotus is quite a jump from car type and budget! Why not just start with the Lotus or buy the best Clio 1*2 you can (ie Trophy). All this mess of looking for a sensibly priced car when it sounds like you could just get a low miles Trophy which will appreciate faster than any 182 etc.

Sorry not seeing it, but there have been quite a few posts in between i'm sure!

Not doubting your finances or budget, just seems like an odd frame of mind as Clio to Lotus is quite a jump from car type and budget! Why not just start with the Lotus or buy the best Clio 1*2 you can (ie Trophy). All this mess of looking for a sensibly priced car when it sounds like you could just get a low miles Trophy which will appreciate faster than any 182 etc.

Trophy would end up being a garage queen, so not keen on doing that.

The rest of it is down to impulse and choice.

I saw the trophy being talked about and thought the 182 could be a fun b road car whilst the economic direction becomes clearer in q1, but it is all becoming a bit too much hassle.

Rightly or wrongly I've put that down to the fact this is the cheaper end of the car market which I have little experience of...so I'm moving back into my comfort zone!

The 182 would be a 4th car for me so the fact it is cheap would have been ideal as if I didn't like it I could give it to WBAC and not lose something like 10k as you can on heavier metal!

What I won't do is overpay and that is on principle...also re trophy , I don't think I could ever see myself paying £7k for an old Clio, no matter how good. Just a personal choice.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Trophy would end up being a garage queen, so not keen on doing that.

The rest of it is down to impulse and choice.

I saw the trophy being talked about and thought the 182 could be a fun b road car whilst the economic direction becomes clearer in q1, but it is all becoming a bit too much hassle.

Rightly or wrongly I've put that down to the fact this is the cheaper end of the car market which I have little experience of...so I'm moving back into my comfort zone!

The 182 would be a 4th car for me so the fact it is cheap would have been ideal as if I didn't like it I could give it to WBAC and not lose something like 10k as you can on heavier metal!

What I won't do is overpay and that is on principle...also re trophy , I don't think I could ever see myself paying £7k for an old Clio, no matter how good. Just a personal choice.

I think you are looking at this in the wrong way.

You can buy an E46 M3 for 7k, or you can buy the best (non CSL) M3 coupe going for 25k. Thats quite a large difference for what is essentially the same car.

You can buy a Clio 182 for 2k or the very best (non trophy) for around 5k. The difference between the top and the bottom of the market is so small. You stand to lose 1k at most by over spending which if you have the money is an acceptable loss given that a 1k loss over a year of ownership is in the noise. Over spending a little (with a little sense) will remove all this faff.

If you have the money, cut all the searching and time wasting and just buy the cleanest lowest miles 5k Clio, or a higher miles Trophy, enjoy it and sell it when your done. Its still cheap fun which ever way you look at it.

These are more usable every day than an Elise (etc), for me that makes them more fun on the whole, I choose to drive the little 182 to work over other stuff that I own because its cheap, worry free fun. That argument exists on a 5k Clio to the same extent that it does on a 2k Clio the difference being the time you will spend by the side of the road at some future junction.

Like I said before, regardless of which direction you go in I wish you the best of luck.
Rob,

That argument exists on a 5k Clio to the same extent that it does on a 2k Clio the difference being the time you will spend by the side of the road at some future junction.

In my ownership Ive had a driveshaft snap while driving, driven an hour with 1 rear damper, had a couple of problems when the car was already off the road (admittedly self inflicted) but not once on the road have I had to stop or not been able to drive. They really are cheap and cheerful and for me reliable where I can confidently do long journeys and not worry about things going wrong.

I still spent ££££ on making it better though, I dont think I could sit in another stock clio where Ive made mine better to suit my preferences. Thats one of my only negatives, it just doesnt live up to its renowned hot hatch handling. Only until now, Ast's, quick rack, bump correction and various bushes and mounts replaced later, does it make me want to push its limits, even then Im still dialing things in and have a list of upgrades waiting to get the performance I want.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I think you are looking at this in the wrong way.

You can buy an E46 M3 for 7k, or you can buy the best (non CSL) M3 coupe going for 25k. Thats quite a large difference for what is essentially the same car.

You can buy a Clio 182 for 2k or the very best (non trophy) for around 5k. The difference between the top and the bottom of the market is so small. You stand to lose 1k at most by over spending which if you have the money is an acceptable loss given that a 1k loss over a year of ownership is in the noise. Over spending a little (with a little sense) will remove all this faff.

If you have the money, cut all the searching and time wasting and just buy the cleanest lowest miles 5k Clio, or a higher miles Trophy, enjoy it and sell it when your done. Its still cheap fun which ever way you look at it.

These are more usable every day than an Elise (etc), for me that makes them more fun on the whole, I choose to drive the little 182 to work over other stuff that I own because its cheap, worry free fun. That argument exists on a 5k Clio to the same extent that it does on a 2k Clio the difference being the time you will spend by the side of the road at some future junction.

Like I said before, regardless of which direction you go in I wish you the best of luck.
Rob,
Amen.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

what other cars have you out of interest?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Various 911s - 996/7/1

Various M cars - e46 & e92 m3 and f10 m5

Various audi - rs5s

Other / hot hatches (mk 5 GTI) and a mx5 (lol)

I just love cars - I've often sold a model and then go back and get another one when start to miss it!!!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Various 911s - 996/7/1

Various M cars - e46 & e92 m3 and f10 m5

Various audi - rs5s

Other / hot hatches (mk 5 GTI) and a mx5 (lol)

I just love cars - I've often sold a model and then go back and get another one when start to miss it!!!
Have you driven a 182 yet? Many owners on here have owned a few, they always come back!

Land Rover
Yes it does look very nice. But l would still want to inspect it, that’s what the 22,000 mile 182 l saw at £5995 looked like..... but it had a list of work as long as your arm. For instance it had NEVER had a cam belt change.

But if it’s as nice as it looks it would be one to put away and not use, or you’d risk halving it’s value in 12 months.

535d / t5 caravelle
tidy car history there mate, no denying that lol.

pound for pound fun factor, clio's are hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Yes it does look very nice. But l would still want to inspect it, that’s what the 22,000 mile 182 l saw at £5995 looked like..... but it had a list of work as long as your arm. For instance it had NEVER had a cam belt change.

But if it’s as nice as it looks it would be one to put away and not use, or you’d risk halving it’s value in 12 months.
Funny you say about cambelts. Enquired on 2 Trophys in the last couple of days. One of the dealers, who shall not be named, suggested I drive the 250 mile home with a cambelt well overdue......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Got offered a very good price on this one...perhaps buy it and get the belts done for £600 which would then stand me at £1800...then keep approx £2k to the side to make it immaculate as a little hobby over summer???

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
7k M3's you don't really find them so much anymore...

They go for that on copart!

They are still about. Not sure you would want to buy any of them though! A nice one seems to be 12-14k now.

They haven't gone up as much as their owners would like you to think they have, plus there are still lots about. I remember them bottoming out at 5/6k a few years back, should have bought them all!

Plus they are in that odd classic/non classic limbo and cost a fortune to maintain properly. Really nice drive, feel like the natural RWD progression from a 1*2 in many ways.