ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How Much for a wash

if your local carwash is decent , and your happy to have paint correction done properly once a year then i don't see the issue with using the local decent hand carwash ....

paint isn't totally ruined at mine and my valeter has said its not to bad (the paintwork)

its waying up what you need to do over time , and i understand in the detailing forum people will spend hours on their cars ,

there is the i would rather be driving them , having a social life etc rather than spending hours cleaning cars , whats a good hand wash going to take you 2 hours ?

RB 182
Ok baller. You can spend your 25/50/75 quid a week on a basic car wash if you want. But id rather wash it myself and save the cash!
Not that i am arguing with your point, wash it your self is a must, but take into account how much you spend on quality wash products and 100 a month isnt a absolutely rediculas price. I myself wouldn't pay it but if they were to use good quality products and do a good job, then 25 quid wouldn't be too far off the mark...

I used to have the Astra VXR washed by local poles. Im never taking a car to them again.
The t film remover they spray on is toxic. When I finally got round to giving it a proper wash n polish myself after a few months of them cleaning it I was shocked....
I couldn't even apply polish to it... the polish wouldn't apply properly and then I couldn't buff it off, was binding to the paint. I was trying to buff it an it was just a hazy looking mess.
Had to use meguiars paint cleaner on whole car. After using that and a clay bar I could then apply polish and still never looked right.
I then went to clean wing mirror glass and both mirrors came away in my hands! Film remover had melted glue. Had to stick them back on.
Plus it's all swirled to f**k!
Cars now sold and safe to say I won't be taking new car or Clio to them! Ever!

£25 for a basic wash is far to much. I don't care about my car enough £5 polish wash & 5 pints suits me better. Or the rest is a full tank in my motorbike I know which I'd prefer.

However if I had a baller car and had money to burn then yeah why not would save me a job.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Dirt protects better than wax...

I hardly wash my car these days.. Too much of a chore and hardly ever have the time

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
whats a good hand wash going to take you 2 hours ?

It doesnt take me 2 hours but then i dont snow foam etc.

I rinse the car, spray it with RDS or the likes, rinse it again then wash it then dry it. Takes half an hour/45mins.

Personally if im that busy that i dont have an hour to spare then the last thing ill be worrying about is a basic car wash! Its only going tk get dirty again when you leave the place.

And as for materials, no i dont spend anywhere near 100 a month on shampoo and pre rinse.

I did a 'decent' wash on mine last night.

Snow foamed
Wheels cleaned
Rinsed
Two-bucket wash
Rinsed
Pat dried
Door shuts cleaned
Exhaust polished
Wheels sealed
Trim dressed

Took me all of about an hour including setting up/packing away and probably cost me £4 in products. f**k paying someone else to do it for me.

BMW E91 Tourer
well took the other route as theres not a lot of available space to do it around here.

Went to a local car pitch that has around 60 cars on and asked him who does the cleaning of the cars. he said we do. i explained what i could do for him as a trader and he said, do one then we will see how it comes out. and go from there.

He gave me an 07 plate ford c max in black metallic to do. this was going to be fun.

It was placed right outside the sales office.

Pre washed it then clayed the panels, Lots of swirls and paint affected by bird droppings. went back home got the da / pads / and cutting polish.
Did all the car every panel including the roof. then wiped off and polished with AG hd wax. cost me around £15:00 in sundries.

After it was finished he came out and praised my work, he also said that he himself had done the previous valet on it with a quick rinse and some turtle wax polish.

Spent about 3 1/2 hours on it. yes it was a freebie so that he could see the kind of result that was left. he also said that it was the worst car on the forecourt. before it was cleaned.

So the outcome is that i will be doing 2 or 3 cars a week for him, he's even going to offer the service to buyers of cars if they want it done.
hes also got a mate with another car lot not too far away that wants a couple of cars doing a week. so lets see how it goes..

well he's given me 2 cars for friday, a red mini on the forecourt and he said he's bringing his own car for me to do.

54 plate Bentley continental in silver.

well looks like i will be stepping up to the plate and having a go at it.

Prices have been worked out and it means i will be making money, with not really any major outlay as i already have the gear to do it.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I already detail mate.. I do too many other cars to bother with my own most the time. I get fed up with the mundane cleaning, much prefer the correction/protection side of it.

me and you would make great partners lol.

i hate polishing. like cleaning and protecting

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm willing to bet a quid to a chip of s**t that no hand car wash place that washes the outside of cars for a fiver or less, changes the water in the bucket after every car, let alone uses new wash mitts.

If i'm taking my nice swirl free car, and before me they've washed some flthy rep mobile, they'll be using the same water and the same wash mitt.
Ga-ron-fcuking-teed.

i seen the local one to my work the other day cleaning the mitts on the floor with the pressure washers. things were flying all over the place...
swirl free - yeah right!

BMW E91 Tourer
uhyjeja5.jpg

The clean for Friday.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
well took the other route as theres not a lot of available space to do it around here.

Went to a local car pitch that has around 60 cars on and asked him who does the cleaning of the cars. he said we do. i explained what i could do for him as a trader and he said, do one then we will see how it comes out. and go from there.

He gave me an 07 plate ford c max in black metallic to do. this was going to be fun.

It was placed right outside the sales office.

Pre washed it then clayed the panels, Lots of swirls and paint affected by bird droppings. went back home got the da / pads / and cutting polish.
Did all the car every panel including the roof. then wiped off and polished with AG hd wax. cost me around £15:00 in sundries.

After it was finished he came out and praised my work, he also said that he himself had done the previous valet on it with a quick rinse and some turtle wax polish.

Spent about 3 1/2 hours on it. yes it was a freebie so that he could see the kind of result that was left. he also said that it was the worst car on the forecourt. before it was cleaned.

So the outcome is that i will be doing 2 or 3 cars a week for him, he's even going to offer the service to buyers of cars if they want it done.
hes also got a mate with another car lot not too far away that wants a couple of cars doing a week. so lets see how it goes..

well he's given me 2 cars for friday, a red mini on the forecourt and he said he's bringing his own car for me to do.

54 plate Bentley continental in silver.

well looks like i will be stepping up to the plate and having a go at it.

Prices have been worked out and it means i will be making money, with not really any major outlay as i already have the gear to do it.

Out of interest, what are you charging for that?

Clio 172
I might take this approach... 2-3 cars every weekend will see. E though for now! :) good luck with it.

Well with the increasing number of corner car washes charging from as little as £2.50 for a wash, which also includes for free the obligatory swirl marks and poor finish.

Question is what would you pay for a decent wash.

Pre rinse.
Snow foam.
Rinse.
Snow foam.
Wash with mitten, 2 buckets.
Rinse.
Dry.
Wheels cleaned

No Paint damage, and a clean finish.

You clean your wheels first mate cos stuff that goes on them to brake the dust is not good for your paintwork if oversprayed.

BMW E91 Tourer
You clean your wheels first mate cos stuff that goes on them to brake the dust is not good for your paintwork if oversprayed.

Well just depends what you use on the wheels,
I prefer to use tongue .

Well not really but heh the wheels get sprayed before rinsing and agitated with a wheel brush.
Should have said tyre dressing.

BMW E91 Tourer
Out of interest, what are you charging for that?

Well as sent by pm, looking to get a portfolio of different cars in different states . Then move up a notch maybe.

Charging the guy £35:00....

Yes seems a little low when a bronze detail is £199 from MCC. But they have a good customer base and premises to run. Rates water rent and also all the relevant Certs for the disposal of waste water into the drainage system.

It's all going forward and it's costing me my time, but any business that works is not as simple as just making money !!!!

Honda & VW
The thing is... People who genuinely care for their car will clean it themselves. Whether it be using the correct kit and processes or not.
Those that don't care will simply take it to the local £5-£10 places that are scattered everywhere. They want their car clean for as little as possible. So unlikely to spend much more than £10 really. Those that are happy to spend the extra money will usually expect a lot more for their dosh, but in doing this you'd end up doing so much more it would barely make it worthwhile financially.

Last year I spent 10hours enhancing the state of my friends paintwork only to then find out he took it to the local hand car wash place the following week. Initially he was keen to buy a nice wash mitt etc etc and keep ontop of things. I went through every step with him and he took it all in, hence me spending my time getting his car to a good standard.

Care = spend whatever it takes to get the result

Dont care = Sponge and chamois for a tenner and they're chuffed to bits

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not that i am arguing with your point, wash it your self is a must, but take into account how much you spend on quality wash products and 100 a month isnt a absolutely rediculas price. I myself wouldn't pay it but if they were to use good quality products and do a good job, then 25 quid wouldn't be too far off the mark...

I find myself spending about £30 max every couple of/few month to my stuff up.

I did buy a valeting kit to start me off that cost £100ish but that was a one off to get me started.

Honda & VW
People often think that 'Shiny' means they've got their money's worth. This is where car washes, whether it be machine or hand hugely differ to the world of Detailing where clarity and Depth count

The thing is... People who genuinely care for their car will clean it themselves.

I actually think your wrong.

I care about my cars , have been a car enthusiast night a true petrolhead for years. I get my cars paintwork sorted by the valeter we use every now and then , have all the washmits ,buckets and shampoo to care for them myself .

In any one week i'll work 50 to 60 hours in my job ,drive about 5 orr 600 miles , go to the gym , go sailing in training for upcomming events ,
the wife works similar hours and does similar miles now , so again has a busy week

we have a house to maintain , food to buy and cook , gardens to maintain.

In any one week we will have used 3 of our 4 cars , so ,now try and work out where i spend a day cleaning 3 or 4 cars properly ? every week ?

or do i use the hald decent hand carwash , who have 2 buckets (one with hot soapy water and one with fresh to rinse the mitts in which they change regularly ) yes they use truckwash on the wheels and really bad dirty , but they rinse before , then truckwash then rinse ,then use the mit starting at the top and working down ...........

we also have huge oaks in our front garden , the cars each week get any combo of birds**t and treesap on them , yet when my valeter comes (all that gleams on FB if you want to see what he spends his weeks doing) he says the paintwork isn't that bad all things considered.

thats the problem with a huge amount of people , we do car , BUT when we say we have not really got the time we do mean it ,and we keep our cars as best as is viable.

RB 182
I find myself spending about £30 max every couple of/few month to my stuff up.

I did buy a valeting kit to start me off that cost £100ish but that was a one off to get me started.

Fair enough then man, like I said I'm not arguing the point, I only use shampoo and then wax after so it costs me barely anything too, I jut wasn't sure of the cost off all detailing equipment constantly I just assumed it wouldn't be very cheap

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Fair enough then man, like I said I'm not arguing the point, I only use shampoo and then wax after so it costs me barely anything too, I jut wasn't sure of the cost off all detailing equipment constantly I just assumed it wouldn't be very cheap

Ah fair dos, yeah it's sadly not cheap :(

and its it's about to get more expensive since I've just got that £5 polisher lol

RB 182
Ah fair dos, yeah it's sadly not cheap :(

and its it's about to get more expensive since I've just got that £5 polisher lol

I would like to get into it more now I have a driveway... It's just where to start haha

Is that the pricing error one? Lucky bugger...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I would like to get into it more now I have a driveway... It's just where to start haha

Is that the pricing error one? Lucky bugger...

I'd recommend an auto glym valet kit, big red bag filled with everything you need. A bar of clay, iron x and tardis. That lot will do you the best part of two years. Then you can upgrade/swap products as you go along. That's what I did :)

It is, yeah. And I know, I'm never normally this lucky lol!

RB 182
I'd recommend an auto glym valet kit, big red bag filled with everything you need. A bar of clay, iron x and tardis. That lot will do you the best part of two years. Then you can upgrade/swap products as you go along. That's what I did :)

It is, yeah. And I know, I'm never normally this lucky lol!

Ahh okay I'll have a look for that thanks! I've definitely seen it before on the internet and halfords...

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I never like the job I do on mine, so I've not washed it myself in probably 2 years! I take it down to the nice european chap in town who charges £12 for inside and out.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You being serious Knuckles?

Sadly, yes.

It's a decent 'gateway kit' to get someone started and used to the products. And it's conveniently all together in one bag/shop.

You could write a list of everything a beginner needs to start off but that can be very off putting and more expensive having to search around and buy things individually. That's mainly why I started with the ag kit, it's very beginner friendly.

After webby is comfortable with using the stuff he can get rid of the below par products for decent ones. Ag is only poor products to anal cleaners tbf, average joe is going to be over the moon with the finish... I know I was :eek:

...was your gripe with the recommendation of ag by the way or have I missed something lol

Honda & VW
Sadly, yes.

It's a decent 'gateway kit' to get someone started and used to the products. And it's conveniently all together in one bag/shop.

You could write a list of everything a beginner needs to start off but that can be very off putting and more expensive having to search around and buy things individually. That's mainly why I started with the ag kit, it's very beginner friendly.

After webby is comfortable with using the stuff he can get rid of the below par products for decent ones. Ag is only poor products to anal cleaners tbf, average joe is going to be over the moon with the finish... I know I was :eek:

...was your gripe with the recommendation of ag by the way or have I missed something lol

I was doubting how serious you were being when recommending an AG bag that would contain products by Carpro and AutoSmart?

Renault Clio182 bean
I prefer to clean my car myself, but I also know what im doing and have corrected the paintwork so it hasn't got many swirls at all. Its nice to stand back and admire your work at the end when it looks immaculate :eek:

BMW E91 Tourer
I actually think your wrong.

I care about my cars , have been a car enthusiast night a true petrolhead for years. I get my cars paintwork sorted by the valeter we use every now and then , have all the washmits ,buckets and shampoo to care for them myself .

In any one week i'll work 50 to 60 hours in my job ,drive about 5 orr 600 miles , go to the gym , go sailing in training for upcomming events ,
the wife works similar hours and does similar miles now , so again has a busy week

we have a house to maintain , food to buy and cook , gardens to maintain.

In any one week we will have used 3 of our 4 cars , so ,now try and work out where i spend a day cleaning 3 or 4 cars properly ? every week ?

or do i use the hald decent hand carwash , who have 2 buckets (one with hot soapy water and one with fresh to rinse the mitts in which they change regularly ) yes they use truckwash on the wheels and really bad dirty , but they rinse before , then truckwash then rinse ,then use the mit starting at the top and working down ...........

we also have huge oaks in our front garden , the cars each week get any combo of birds**t and treesap on them , yet when my valeter comes (all that gleams on FB if you want to see what he spends his weeks doing) he says the paintwork isn't that bad all things considered.

thats the problem with a huge amount of people , we do car , BUT when we say we have not really got the time we do mean it ,and we keep our cars as best as is viable.

you and people like you are exactly who i am trying to bring my services to. but heh its cheap at the moment (£35.00) to cover costs and give me a drink or two.

but once premises and advertising has been done along with the time to do it, and do it to what the customer wants is planned for the future.
yellowbelly says its not going to be the adverse joe public who wants it doing. we know that its a niche market that is there, but you have to show you can do it before you get the regular work at the right money...

you and people like you are exactly who i am trying to bring my services to. but heh its cheap at the moment (£35.00) to cover costs and give me a drink or two.

but once premises and advertising has been done along with the time to do it, and do it to what the customer wants is planned for the future.
yellowbelly says its not going to be the adverse joe public who wants it doing. we know that its a niche market that is there, but you have to show you can do it before you get the regular work at the right money...

If i had one to do well then i would , my valeter charges 40 for the same ,my problem is 3 cars x 35 is 105 a week , 400 a month plus , which is an issue , maybe i should get you to correct our audi prior to it getting sold , its a bit swirly but not majorly bad

Pm me a price