ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How many hours to swap an engine over??

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
So have got my hands on a replacement engine block for my clio. Does anyone have a rough idea on the time it should tke to swap them over and put new dephaser and pulleys on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
Well obviously complete engine comming out and then transfer manifolds and things over to another block and fit new timing belt and tensioners. Then re fit engine.

Thanks
Dan

dan's cast offs.
if you've not done one before give yourself a couple of days, you'll get the bulk done first day and then finish off second day.

don't worry though am sure someone will pop up and tell you they can do it in a couple of hours though :wink:

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
if you've not done one before give yourself a couple of days, you'll get the bulk done first day and then finish off second day.

don't worry though am sure someone will pop up and tell you they can do it in a couple of hours though :wink:

Are there any good threads to help me along the way incase i get stuck ? Never done it before but would like to give it a go

dan's cast offs.
think there is something in the guides but you've got to be paid up to view. if you're reasonably mechanical then it's reasonably straightforward. belt are easy to screw up though if you're not used to floating setup.

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
If you've never done it before and don't really know what you're doing then it's a big risk doing the dephaser and belts.

Wasnt planning on touching that myself. Ill get someone that knows what theyre doing to sort it then ill fit the block myself.

Dont trust myselfto do it. I could potentially ruin another engine !

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Tips;

1) label all the wiring loom, so you know exactly what goes where on re-fit.

2) when you take the bolts out and remove a part, but the bolts back in the area they came out of. So easy to mix them up.

3) your going to need a tray for coolant and gearbox oil when you pull the drive shafts out.

4) spray WD40 on things like ball joint bolts etc a few hours before you need to undo them.

Clio GT 128
If its you're first time taking it out then I'd say 2 days. You'll find it'll be stupid stuff that holds you up. Eg not having a specific tool or missing bits. When I first stripped down my Levin it took pretty much the whole of two days. Now i've done it a few times it can be done in about 4 hours. Just making sure you have all the right tools/sockets to hand saves a hell of a lot of time.

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
I'd set aside 2 days at least if it's something you've never done.

Thats the plan i think. Engine out one day and then back in the next unless i am quicker than expected at getting it out. But i dont want to rush then break something.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the plan i think. Engine out one day and then back in the next unless i am quicker than expected at getting it out. But i dont want to rush then break something.

Do the belts when the engine is out of the car, i'm guessing you were planning on doing that anyway.

Much easier.

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
Do the belts when the engine is out of the car, i'm guessing you were planning on doing that anyway.

Much easier.

Yuo going to get a gsrage to do dephaser and bew belt and things get it set up correctly then ill fit the engine

dan's cast offs.
if you can take it out from the top, while it's out spray the rear subframe mounting captive nuts with penetrating fluid and then whip them out, worth doing this while the engine is out as it's bloody easy to sort out if the captive nut spins.

182halfpenny

ClioSport Club Member
What's wrong with your current engine ?

School boy error. Ran it dry of oil every time i went to check it i couldn’t get the bonnet open. The catch is funny on it and need to push the bonnet down whilst pulling the release handle inside the car so a teo man job ! And stupidly enough i kept forgetting when someone else was around to help.

School boy error. Ran it dry of oil every time i went to check it i couldn’t get the bonnet open. The catch is funny on it and need to push the bonnet down whilst pulling the release handle inside the car so a teo man job ! And stupidly enough i kept forgetting when someone else was around to help.

Change of user name required then from 182halfpenny to 182halfwit :tongueclosed:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It (should) tell you every time you start up that the oil is OK / not OK ?!

Maybe on the 182s you need to press the stalk once after it starts.. can't remember....

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
It (should) tell you every time you start up that the oil is OK / not OK ?!

Maybe on the 182s you need to press the stalk once after it starts.. can't remember....

They do say Oil OK and you can press the trip reset when the message is on to reveal OOOOO, which shows the level.

Not sure how accurate it is though.