ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long to fit 172 springs....

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I know it would vary between a novice and a mechanic, but how long would it take to fit some Eibachs? An hour for a garage? 3 hours me following a guide on here having never done it before?

I youve got all the tools ( airgun etc ) then can be done in 40 mins, at home it'l take you 2 hours tops.

The rears take ten mins, both shock bolts out then simply change the springs. The fronts take a bit longer tho.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Have you read the guide on here? Do you think that would be all required for someone having not done it before?

I havnt read the guide, but its really easy and you dont need many tools really. Just be carefull compresing and removing the front springs, if they go they really go!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
"once off the car undo 17mm top nut (if its a 172/182, there's no need for compressors)"

Thats from the guide...surely you'd need compressors??

I used compressors yes, dunno if you need to tho. You could always undo the 17mm nut on the strut top till its almost off, if the spring moves around on the seat then you wont need compressors.

Last edited:
  Golf MK6 GT TDI
Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, I'm fitting new springs on my 172 tomorrow, just a bit unsure about not needing spring compressors!can anyone confirm this, otherwise i wont be able to sleep easy...

thanks,

Storm Grey 200
Jez, you wont need compressors.

Also i hate axle stands and jacks, it makes a quick job take forever, coupled with a gravel drive. eurgh

don't think you need compressors to remove the strut from the car but you might find them useful to get the struts back together after you've taken them apart (the damper rod will slowly drop as soon as it's released and it's v fiddly trying to get them back together; might be a bit easier with shorter springs though)

Golf MK6 GT TDI
Jez, you wont need compressors.

Also i hate axle stands and jacks, it makes a quick job take forever, coupled with a gravel drive. eurgh

phew, thats good to know, however went out today to buy some axle stands to use on my drive (not gravel but not smooth)

Thanks for the replies, btw im putting on sportlines so expect a "lowered" thread appearing sometime tomorrow:rasp:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I never used compressors, and i'd never changed them before on any car. Done it twice now.

Ozzed Clio
dont get caught out for £20 i would have spring compressors as if the spring is really worn u will defo need them as it expands. i needed them

Lionel Richie
YOU DO NOT NEED f**king SPRING COMPRESSORS ON A 172/182

HOW MANY f**king TIMES!

32min is my record with no power tools or ramp

Golf MK6 GT TDI
Its true, fitted the sportlines today and didn't need any spring compressors, took me and my mate about an hour and a bit, was susprised ho easy it was tbh, backs were done in 20mins, front are a bit trickier though, I'll try and get a couple of pictures up tomorrow.

Titanium 182
Your first time don't leave any other cars behind it in your drive. I did and I dropped a drive shaft out oil everywhere couldn't get the shocker bolts to line up with the hub 11pm at night work in the morning car blocking parents cars from getting out of the drive and they needed to get to work.

Bad times :(

Only way I could get the shocker on was to have the brake line wrapped around it >_< So I did it fit the wheel wheeled it onto the road then got RAC to put it on the back of a truck to my garage so I could use proper tools !

This isn't on a 1*2 it's a 1.4 16v
Same concept though :eek:

Golf MK6 GT TDI
haha, gutted for you, I did struggle getting the shock to line up when I was putting it back together, turns out that my mate was quite good at it though, I let him do the other side too:rasp: