ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long does it take a 182 to de-ice windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  306 GTI-6
Nothing, they're great. Over the years you will have wiper marks on your glass. It's just fact.

It certainly is. I just had the 12 year old original windscreen replaced, and there were scratches that have built up over time.

Low sun, or headlights at night caused massive flares of light, making it dangerous to drive so new windscreen time.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing you're claiming they don't then with a well thought out and reasoned argument?

Lols... etc.

Focus
I'm guessing you're claiming they don't then with a well thought out and reasoned argument?

Lols... etc.

I'm not claiming either way whether they do or don't, just when it was said it made me smile. :rasp:

Trophy #276
You could argue it's not the wipers themselves damaging the windscreen, but the contaminants (road grit etc) that's accumulated with time.

By this logic, replacing wipers frequently enough could save you a windscreen.

I think this is down to each case being slightly different, but both arguments have merit.

On topic, my Trophy takes an uncomfortably long time to de-ice. Will be bringing out the cold water and wipers technique next time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Both arguments don't have their merits. I agree it might be the dust on the rubber but it's the wipers that are doing the damage so to speak.

It's minimal though and 99.5% of people will never ever notice!

Trophy #276
People need to factor in the timely cleaning of their wipers.

Could save you a windscreen over a 12 year period.

I'm not gonna lie, we hard a hard frost yesterday and the Cliosport Ice Scraper was pants.
You're obviously using it wrong then...

Lols, enough to see when the sun shines in the window. Faint scratches if you will. If that is what a bit of rubber does why the hell would I use a piece of hard plastic?

I would also add the water doesn't freeze on the screen due to the sealant, the water runs off instantly.
Do you still use your wipers though?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
f**k de icing, open side window and ace Ventura it down the road until the car melts it.

My windscreen was iced over this morning. I got in, started the engine, heated screen switched itself on. I waited for the cat warming phase to settle the revs down to 800rpm. Windscreen wipers automatically cleared the melted ice. Drove to work.

Happily ever after.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No he actually meant the explosive. I call him "Crazy Tommy".

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
So far the CS scraper as it the quickest easiest way for me, no faffing running in and out the house.

Only issue I get is the windscreen misting up on the inside when I'm half way down the road both windows open and the heaters on full.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You could use water and drive away in 30 seconds with zero misting and not return to the house.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Runlock FTW?

Also I'm getting serious déjà vu with this thread, I swear I saw most of the 1st page at least a month ago. Right down to the letter.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It seems to level off the temperature. Obviously misting is caused with warm and cold air.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
run out house as quick as possible as its f**king freezing, fall, get up, get in car, heaters off, start car, hold revs at 2000rpm for 30 seconds, heaters on full blast for 30 seconds, window cleared :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
It seems to level off the temperature. Obviously misting is caused with warm and cold air.

I'll give it a try then lol.

Always good when I'm on nights I just park the car next to the security cabin and leave it running 10 mins before I go home much nicer just jumping straight into a warm car.

renault clio 182
Heaters on and leave it for 10-15mins and then I'm sorted failing that de-icer if need to be away quicker would never EVER put hot water even "Luke" warm water on a windscreen I've personally seen what can happen and it resulted in a phone too auto glass..

Clio 182 arctic
How do you know if the wipers scratch the glass. I mean with that level of paranoia I'm surprised you allow yourself to get off the drive. Its a crazy world out there. Is your name 'monk'

S3 Sportback, Ninja
How do you know if the wipers scratch the glass. I mean with that level of paranoia I'm surprised you allow yourself to get off the drive. Its a crazy world out there. Is your name 'monk'

Getting off the drive would also incur tyre wear and engine wear. f**k. Best walk to work tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.