ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How heavy is your clutch?

Clio 172 Phase II
I have recently ventured into Jap land and bought an Ignis SPort, but I am missing my clio 172.

One of the reasons for me moving away was that I have a bad left knee from running, and the heavy clutch of car made it worse as I am constantly in stop-start traffic when travelling to London every day. My question is this- do the clutches on 172 Phase 1/Phase 2/182 differ in terms of how heavy they are? I am keen to get back in an RS clio as frankly, I am not sure I am gelling with the Ignis.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
They are heavy'ish but not as heavy as MK1's, just get to the Gym more and work your legs twice a week

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Lol you love it.

but seriously I've never driven anything with a heavier clutch.

RB 182 FF
Mines heavy as hell in my 182, I get into other cars and think the clutch pedal has broken as I can feel nothing in comparison!

New clutch and new clutch cable, thought it wasn't even attached!

There's a new cable design btw, more weights on it to assist the clutch movement. Nice and light :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
it is weird driving other stuff, toy clutches in them in comparison, I like a nice heavy one but when they wear they do go a bit silly heavy, the RB is getting to the point of being a bit stupid really so needs doing. its far far heavier than the mk1 and that's got a 4 paddle helix effort in it!

Heavy as hell! I had a mk4 golf as well as my 182 , swapped to drive my golf home came to a junction and nearly snapped the clutch pedal in half because I was use to driving the Clio lol

Mine can get annoying in traffic , but I like it day to day , i find it a positive feel

172 Cup
Mines heavy in phase2 172, only really notice how heavy it actually is when i get into a different car though.
Sometimes gives me a clicky knee if iv been in stop start traffic for ages, or it might just be me being soft :eek:

Mine's about 3-4 times heavier than the throttle.

I forgot you've got a cable, My throttle is feather light! I'd like to see the difference between mine and a ph1 172, see what all the fuss is about.

Jury is still out on that one. Only replaced in Jan/Feb this year and have driven around 4k I think.

Ah well I've done 5k since july/august so it might last you a fair whack longer compared to someone that does a higher mileage.

Renault Clio RS 200T
At the risk of being insulted, but here goes anyway-- the new 200t is right for you with the EDC gearbox there is no clutch to worry about hurting your knee. Before. Any negative comments; if you 'ain't driven one your comment will be ignored (by me anyway lol)

RB 182
Mines heavy in phase2 172, only really notice how heavy it actually is when i get into a different car though.
Sometimes gives me a clicky knee if iv been in stop start traffic for ages, or it might just be me being soft :eek:

Haha I get the clicky knee too, it's horrible!

At the risk of being insulted, but here goes anyway-- the new 200t is right for you with the EDC gearbox there is no clutch to worry about hurting your knee. Before. Any negative comments; if you 'ain't driven one your comment will be ignored (by me anyway lol)

Its a fair point ! Opinions are just that , he may like the new ones !

Imagine the budget would be completely different though !

Clio 2.0 182
Went to move a Ford KA the other day and the clutch felt like it was broken, pushed it down with very little effort, i like heavy clutches, gives the car a solid feeling.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
It's really not that bad you bunch of wimps.

Also it's very difficult to measure how heavy a clutch is in text form.

New clutch and revised cable helps this loads!! Had mine in two years now and its no where near as hard as it was before the change.

As mentioned the mk1 clutch is hard. Lol and used to snap cables on a monthly basis.

PH2 Flamer
Mine is too. My mate just got a 182 and said it felt broken, told him it's normal for them to be heavy.

I actually had James stone check mine out, as I thought it was on its last legs, turns out it's not and was replaced by budgie when Steve Murr had it. Less than 2 years ago.

FF Clio 182
Clio Sports clutches are heavy as standard. I have a Valeo clutch in mine what isn't as bad but still isn't the lightest.

RB 182 195bhp
They are quite heavy, but the clutches on my 2 306's before were heavier. I think its because the cable takes a pretty twisty route on both.

Countryman JCW
My experience of RS Clio Clutches

Ph1 172 - Not as heavy as a 182, but not as light as my 172 cup, fair bit heavier than a new age car like a hyundai i30 (for instance).
First 182 FF - Very heavy and squeeks when it gets warm from a long drive or lots of stop start traffic
172 Cup Turbo - Nice and light, not far off a newish car
My mates 182 FF - Very heavy like my 1st 182
Second 182 FF - Heavy again and squeeks like my first 182

All were on Valeo OEM clutches including the turbo

Ive found that in general the 182's have felt a lot better built ( i know they are the same essentially) in terms of steering and gear box too... the ph1 and Cup felt very light and loose, where as the 182 gear box feels tighter, and the steering a lot heavier. My ph1 i owned from 32-98k, my 182's have had between 55-70k, and my Turbo Cup was on 90k or so.