ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How easy to fit new brake discs and pads?

How easy is it to fit new brake pads and discs to a 172Cup please? I'm thinking of trying it myself? what's involved with the discs?

cheers :)

Lots of Alfas
Welcome to the club, see the guide for the pads, as for the discs, they are only held on by 2 small torx bolts, undo them and pop the old disk off with a rubber mallet. Additionally you may have slide the whole caliper up or down to get it off.

monaco blue 172 ..
piece of piss, i did mine this weekend just gone 1st time on the 172 ,,, it only took an hour if that ,,, very very easy matey ..

Clio Sport 172
Done the rear pads on my previous 182....I got a 172 now and i just want to know if it was the same....very easy they were tho....

iirc it was remove a little split pin, push a little bar out of the way, wind the piston in and fit the pads, refit-fit bar and refit the split pin....if you dont loose it!!!:)

BMW M135i
Done the rear pads on my previous 182....I got a 172 now and i just want to know if it was the same....very easy they were tho....

iirc it was remove a little split pin, push a little bar out of the way, wind the piston in and fit the pads, refit-fit bar and refit the split pin....if you dont loose it!!!:)

Yep all the same.

Clio Sport 172
anyone fitted ferodo to the raer?
I got ferodo FDB 558 and not sure if they are correct without taking the back wheel off....guy in shop wasnt 100% if they are correct?

Clio Sport 172
They are very thin yep....

only got them because I had my timing belt replaced last week and had a brake check and the mech told me the raer pads are 80% worn....I remember them being thin on the clios anyway,so until i look at them and measure them against the new ones I wont know if I got to replace them?

Lots of Alfas
Does it say what cars its for on the box, if it has 206, 306 xsara, Renault 19 they are the right ones.

Clio Sport 172
How do I upload picture?
Gone to advanced clicked the picture icon and then it asks me for the URL from where the pic is hosted....whats this?
Cant I just pull out of the file on my desktop where I saved the picture

Last edited:
  RB 182
Click
insertimage.gif
and then put the URL in the window that appears.

Clio Sport 172
Right I got my picture on photobucket, underneath it says:
Email & IM
Direct and link
HTML code
IMG code,

No URL option

Says URL option up the top, in a box it say paste web URL here?????

Lots of Alfas
They are definatly the right ones, make sure you get the one with the notch on the back resting on the recess in the piston.

Clio 1.2 16v
i upload pics on my bebo page and then right click propertes and click the image link and copy and paste it

Clio Sport 172
Tidy, I'll have a go of fitting them on weekend.....Theres only about 6-7mm of pad on there when new....how long these expected to last?

I can get a full set of brakes and discs from an on-line dealer (solid 280mm discs and standard pads front, and solid 238mm disc and standard pads rear) for £169 .... is this a good deal? how much if i ordered direct from Renault?

Lionel Richie
don't forget the rear bearings are needed also

plus the front discs are vented, NOT solid

and NEVER buy budget s**t

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
^^^ hey i'm going through this aswell mate! flippin useless trying to figure it out. i can get disks pads and bearings for 190 quid they arn't renault but are from a motorfactors where a friend works and are of oe quality! used to use them on my vts and never had a problem but everyone seems to be against that on here! might go for it just to see what its like! its not like i dont know where they have been made or came from?!