ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how easy is it to steal mt Clio Trophy?

Trophy, Audi TT,
I have just bought a 2005 Clio Trophy. How easy are they to steal? it has an alarm and immobilizer on it, is it worth using a steering wheel lock on it or are they pretty secure?

If it has the same alarm system as the 172's, then they are fooooking very loud!! So if someone tries to get in, you're going to hear them a mile away anyway lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think any newish car is pretty hard to steal without the keys. Personally I think steering locks look gay. Just put the car one on by moving the wheel when you park?

PH1 V6
They are pretty good as standard tbh as they do have a reasonable standard alarm, but, like anything you get what you pay for.

Black Gold Trophy
very easy if you have the keys :p
Seriously most modern car thieves steal the keys rather than break in and attempt to 'hot wire'

Black Clio GT
any car is easy to steal, just depends on how big the balls of the theif are to how he/she does it tbh....

if your thinking along the lines of trying to steal it without keys its more likey to be stolen with a low loader than hot wired.....

I was under the impression that modern cars are very difficult to steal just by breaking in. I thought the only way nowadays was by stealing the keys, carjacking (rare) or by simply driving it away on a truck.

Stagecoach Ticket
Same as all cars around 2005 its pretty well protected steering wheel locks are another thing to stop a theif thinking about stealing it and moving on. Id be more worried about wheels than the car itself get 2 sets of decent locking nuts.

As above most cars are stolen by low loaders and key theft.

me and a few mates took the wheels off a mates car for a laugh and left it on axel jacks on his drive wearing high vis jackets no one payed any attention what so ever

Ph1
Defo get a disklock as back up mate.

Seen plenty of listed as stolen recovered examples on ebay etc so they cant be tooooo hard to steel but suppose if they want it, they'll have it no matter what you do.

Could always get a tracking system. You can make them for £10 by using a old mobile phone

I'd rather have the car stolen than mess around with some contraption every time I want to drive somewhere. Plus, if you wake up in the middle of the night with a gun in your face, I'm pretty sure you'll hand over the contraption's keys anyway. IMO they're just a stack of old s**t sliding around in the boot when you're driving, and make your car look s**t when you're not.

Our next door neighbours big Merc 4x4 was pinched last year. We live on a main road, bus route with about 7/8 houses having a clear view of it. Was pinched in the middle of the night and nobody heard a thing.

Back window was smashed and found in a ditch as it was used for a robbery in the next town over. I know it's not relevant to a Clio's security however...

If they want it they'll take it.

clio 172/Fabia vRS
I had a cat 1 alarm fitted to mine when I bought it, in addition to the factory Renault one. It used to immobilise itself after about 10 seconds of unlocking if you didn't put the key in. It was occasionally annoying but I never worried about it getting stolen.

I can vouch for the alarm.
Mine seems to have a "feature" where if I leave the car unlocked and forget and get to it and lock it then unlock it, sometimes the car starts beeping at me as I'm getting in.
If it starts to beep then basicly within the next 2 minutes the alarm will go off (happened a few times whilst I am actually driving it) The only way i can stop it is to get out lock the car and then unlock it, (this had to be done twice one time as it went off again about 200 yards down the bloody road)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
worst "I'm a s**t car theif, please give me some pointers" thread ever