ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do i check for a spark?

clio 1.4RT
Hi,

Just wondering how do i check i get a spark from each lead? do i just pull off the leads and see if the car faulters?

Ph1 172
unplug 1 of the leads, remove the plug from the engine and pop it into the lead. Then just point the plug at something metal and use your eyes.

Edit: about 5mm away the spark should jump accross

clio 1.4RT
i think so....its poping at the exhaust. plus the engine is rocking.....im trying to eliminate things before i take it to the garage.

Clio 182
what so take out the spark plug........ then re-attach the lead.....then start the car with only 3 spark plugs in?

yes but hold the tip of the 4th plug close to something metal like the linlet manifold whilst someone else cranks the car you should see a blue spark

id use some plasitc pliers or simular to avoid getting a shock if i were you

Clio 182
just use something non conductive to syop u getting the spark, coz if your holding it whilsrt cranking you will get a shock

Clio 182
yea it is normally just easier if you hold it and look closley rather than leaning round the bonnet trying to do both

Seeing as it's running, you don't need to remove the plugs. You can just pull off the leads one at a time putting each one back before you try the next. If there is a spark problem on one cylinder removing that lead won't make any difference, the others will make the misfire worse.

Still use pliers ;-)