ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How compressed should my springs be?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I've just fitted some used Eibach Sportlines and noticed that when I dropped the car back down the coils look like they are touching at the bottom - pic below - both sides look the same.

Does this look right or have I dropped a clanger (duff springs or poor fitting)? The ride height has dropped about 15mm from the springs I took off which I assumed were stock. I also fitted solid ktr top mounts at the same time.

Any advice appreciated, reassurance preferred :wink::smile:.

IMG_6888.JPG

Last edited:

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
No, wheels firmly on the ground, after being taken for a quick spin up the road & back.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Sorry, I might have misled you there, I stuck the phone up inside the wheel arch to take the photo.

Here's the gap...

IMG_6892.JPG

If the spring was broken (too compressed) I guess the drop would be too much rather than too little?

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Thanks for the responses :up:. But do you know whether the coils of the spring are supposed to be touching each other at the bottom, as in the picture?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Pretty certain my old prolines used to touch, there was definetely a noticeable wear line on the lower coils

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
These had wear lines on the lower coils too, which implies, I guess, it was like it when fitted to the previous car :up:.

I'll see how it goes over the next few days :cool:.

Many thanks.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Thanks!

I've taken it out this morning and noticed it all sounds a bit 'twangy' & 'springy' when turning at slow speed or stationery. On the move over bumps & speed humps there are no unwanted knocks or clunks, and its all seems nice and smooth. Do they take a while to seat & settle in position?

I shouldn't have done the springs & mounts at the same time, makes for troublesome problem solving :confused:.