ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit & Run on my 172

Clio Sport 172
Hi guys. Some complete T****R has done a Hit and Run on my CS172.

They have managed to put a huge dent in the nearside rear panel, and they also clipped the passenger door in the process. Unfortunately I did not catch them at all, therefore have no details to claim against anyone. Unfortunately the excess on my insurance is qiute high, so Im hoping to do the work required privately and this will enable me to keep my NCB aswell.

Do you think these dents could be pushed out, or will it need a new section of panel put in, can anyone guide me on the costs of a new section as it will need spraying etc wont it.. :/

I would really appreciate any help or guidance, perhaps pointing me in the right direction on who could do the work. Here are a couple of pics to show the damage. Thanks guys.

100_2158.jpg

100_2193.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio Sport 172
Okay cheers guys. Im so frustrated that they just drove off. Tossers. Is there anything I can do, if I were to buy a new quarter panel section what would this cost?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That's a proper sh*tter.

:dapprove:

You'll need to speak to some body shops, chap. There's no 'book price' for work like that.

Generally with these things, if the rear is stuffed like that, it's game over as far as insurance is concerned, as I believe the rear end is a 'one piece' so to speak.

Gally might be able to give you a rough idea, he's an assessor.

Clio Sport 172
Definitely be a write off if that goes through insurance that.

There's some absolute tossers out there to do things like this.

Sure is mate. I'm not going to go down the insurance route because my excess is too high, its £650. I really didn't think of someone doing this when I took the insurance out. Any ideas..?

Okay cheers guys. Im so frustrated that they just drove off. Tossers. Is there anything I can do, if I were to buy a new quarter panel section what would this cost?

Not something you can do yourself mate it needs cutting out and a new one welding in. As said that will more than likely be a write off.

Clio Sport 172
That's a proper sh*tter.

:dapprove:

You'll need to speak to some body shops, chap. There's no 'book price' for work like that.

Generally with these things, if the rear is stuffed like that, it's game over as far as insurance is concerned, as I believe the rear end is a 'one piece' so to speak.

Gally might be able to give you a rough idea, he's an assessor.

Thankyou mate. I have spoke to a few guys on eBay and they are asking £50 for a section of panel, but Im worried about labour and paint costs to be honest. Can you put me in touch with Gally, Im not too sure who they are. Thankyou for your help mate

Merc A class
Is there any paint transfer? If so keep an eye out for the car the same colour having repair work done in your local body shop, Slim chance worth a shot though!

Some one crashed into my scirocco in a car park and drove off took 4 months for the police to track her and the car is finally getting fixed!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I would say that'll probably be a new quarter panel in my oppinion. Swage line has been done as well as the door jam & do you really want a whole quarter full of pug? doubt it.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
If it's going to cost you £1K or above to fix it, it may just be worth throwing in the towel and buying another 172,
you can use the dented one as a donor car for parts, or break it and claw some money back.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
That's proper rotten :(

I would probs be looking to break it though, as said fixing that up won't be cheap.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
One saving grace is the car's still drivable,
you could take the rear door card out and try pushing the worst of it out with your foot or something.

It'll still look like sh*t and it'll do your head in everyday looking at it,
but you've still got a working car to use whilst you get funds for a new 172.

Then you can break it to recoup some of losses of buying a new one.

Clio Sport 172
I would say that'll probably be a new quarter panel in my oppinion. Swage line has been done as well as the door jam & do you really want a whole quarter full of pug? doubt it.

Very true definitely dont want it full of filler or anything. So frustrating

Clio Sport 172
could always break it if it's gonna cost more than 1k to fix... assuming everthing else is in good shape apart from that panel and the door

Yeah everything else is absolutely fine. Its just had a years ticket put on it too and 6months TAX. Its driveable and the central strut got away without any damage too which was lucky. Thanks for your post mate

Clio Sport 172
Is there any paint transfer? If so keep an eye out for the car the same colour having repair work done in your local body shop, Slim chance worth a shot though!

Some one crashed into my scirocco in a car park and drove off took 4 months for the police to track her and the car is finally getting fixed!

There is a minor amount of paint visible, however its white (all cars and vans are white these days Bloody typical :S. I searched the entire estate where the car was parked when it happened and couldnt find anything on any other cars. You were lucky to find the rougue. Appreciate your post, Thanks.

Clio Sport 172
One saving grace is the car's still drivable,
you could take the rear door card out and try pushing the worst of it out with your foot or something.

It'll still look like sh*t and it'll do your head in everyday looking at it,
but you've still got a working car to use whilst you get funds for a new 172.

Then you can break it to recoup some of losses of buying a new one.

Thanks Dave and Addicted.

I think I shall take your advice here Dave, I have thought about doing that myself but didnt want to make it worse (not sure thats possible though)
Everything else on the car is absolutely fine and it has a years MOT & 6months TAX, what do you think its worth as it stands? Or would it pay to break it as you suggest? Thanks a lot guys, appreciate your help and advice

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'd say with that kind of damage I doubt you'd get more than a grand selling it as is,
if you break it you'll make more than that I would think, a good engine depending on mileage, belts etc,
goes for £500-£850, everything else on the car is saleable except the passenger door.

If you stripped it down to the chassis you could get another £500-£1k, again depending on age and condition of parts.

You could ask some of the traders who own garages what they'd give you for it,
as they have the time and resources to dismantle it.

But bare in mind they'll have to make a profit on any parts they sell on,
not to mention the time it'll take them to remove the parts, so don't expect a huge amount of money for it.

Clio Sport 172
I'd say with that kind of damage I doubt you'd get more than a grand selling it as is,
if you break it you'll make more than that I would think, a good engine depending on mileage, belts etc,
goes for £500-£850, everything else on the car is saleable except the passenger door.

If you stripped it down to the chassis you could get another £500-£1k, again depending on age and condition of parts.

You could ask some of the traders who own garages what they'd give you for it,
as they have the time and resources to dismantle it.

But bare in mind they'll have to make a profit on any parts they sell on,
not to mention the time it'll take them to remove the parts, so don't expect a huge amount of money for it.

The engine has done 78k, its just had a years MOT put on it too so its mechanically sound, new rear brake disks and pads, new ball joint which was a pig to do! All belts are good, and has been serviced regularly, so I believe its pretty good. So do you reckon £500-£850 for the engine plus between £500-£1k on other bits?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly but bare in mind that's best case scenario, depends on how good you are with the spanners and how many bit's you can remove.

I'd just drive it for the time being, untill you get £1.5-£2.5k together for a decent replacement.

Depending on your financial situation, you could pound it roughly back into shape,
strip it out, put a cage in and use it as a track sl*g, it's still a working 172 at the end of the day.

Clio Sport 172
Okay. unfortunately my financial situation isn't at its best, and the majority of my money is tied up in the car so I'm pretty buggered really. The idea of a track car sounds wicked but I dont have the spare funds to make that a reality unfortunately. I could try getting it back to shape as best I can, then try selling it. Might be worth putting a new door skin on then it will look a lot tidier to any potential buyers.

Last edited:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
No problem, it's a sh*t thing to happen mate and i'd be angry and upset if it was mine,
so we all feel for you dude.

Hope your luck improves my friend.

Clio Sport 172
No problem, it's a sh*t thing to happen mate and i'd be angry and upset if it was mine,
so we all feel for you dude.

Hope your luck improves my friend.

Cheers bud. Thanks for all your help and advice, its nice knowing that there are decent people out there. I was so shocked when I first saw it, I couldnt believe it was my car for a second. I will certainly make sure I park future cars in safe places, away from the T*****RS out there. Cheers

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hi chap. Sorry I missed this one earlier.

Such a shitter that mate. Had one earlier today and the girl was actually in the car at the roundabout and the jeep drove off. Shitty shitty thing to do.

You're options are slim really. If your excess was maybe £500 I would have considered putting it through the insurance getting the car total lossed and starting afresh. Of course this is going to hurt for the next few years.

Fixing it yourself, it's a £1200 repair at a reputable place. You're never repairing that. You could save the door but it needs work.

Personally? It's a hard one. You're really going to get nothing for it like that. 172s are pretty cheap anyway never mind damaged.

Breaking? Sensible if you have the energy and patience to deal with fuckwits asking for 3 screws off the underside of the front bumper. Tough one mate. Interested to see where you go with this one.

If I can help anymore mate ask away.

inferno 182.
hi mate! bad luck! our bodyshops only in newbury but from the pics thats scrap metal mate im afraid! insurance estimate off the top of my head is over 2k!(dont know price of parts!) depending on insurance company they could only repair upto 75% of the value of the car so its a gonner im afraid!

inferno 182.
gallys correct to a certain degree! looking at the pictures you dont know if the wheels been hit and the beam is bent?? could be alot of mistermeaners there so no engineer is qoing to agree to the repairs as theres so many unknowns im affraid! break it is the best option to get your money back and not affect your insurance!

Such a s**tter that mate. Had one earlier today and the girl was actually in the car at the roundabout and the jeep drove off. s**tty s**tty thing to do.

You're options are slim really. If your excess was maybe £500 I would have considered putting it through the insurance getting the car total lossed and starting afresh. Of course this is going to hurt for the next few years.

Fixing it yourself, it's a £1200 repair at a reputable place. You're never repairing that. You could save the door but it needs work.

Personally? It's a hard one. You're really going to get nothing for it like that. 172s are pretty cheap anyway never mind damaged.

Breaking? Sensible if you have the energy and patience to deal with f**kwits asking for 3 screws off the underside of the front bumper. Tough one mate. Interested to see where you go with this one.

Clio Sport 172

Such a s**tter that mate. Had one earlier today and the girl was actually in the car at the roundabout and the jeep drove off. s**tty s**tty thing to do.

Breaking? Sensible if you have the energy and patience to deal with f**kwits asking for 3 screws off the underside of the front bumper. Tough one mate. Interested to see where you go with this one.

Thankyou for your post mate. I am so lost on what to do.. breaking seems to be the best option at the moment. Its a bigger problem than I first thought, and now just getting my money back is going to prove difficult. Thankyou for your advice buddy

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You've ended up in a shitty position compounded by the state of the damage and real cost of your 172.

You're welcome mate. I really haven't ever seen anyone in a position like that before. It really just ends up a shitter.

Why not just continue to drive it then? Don't break it if it's a good car. It's cosmetic. The car still words.

Maybe keep it and advertise it damaged? The only other way out with any cash is insurance.

Clio Sport 172
gallys correct to a certain degree! looking at the pictures you dont know if the wheels been hit and the beam is bent?? could be alot of mistermeaners there so no engineer is qoing to agree to the repairs as theres so many unknowns im affraid! break it is the best option to get your money back and not affect your insurance!

Yes I agree, i have tested the tracking to certain degree and it honestly feels exactly as it did before the damage was caused. Breaking may be the way to go, but i dont have another car and most of my money is tied up in this one - Buggered

Clio Sport 172
I know I have come to the conclusion I have been pretty unlucky with this. Its not often you see cars in that state, and not have anything to go back on. The t**t drove off! Thanks man