ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Mileage 172's

Monaco 172
Looking around at some 172's and seen a few with 110k+ on the clock but have reasonable history and recent top end rebuild?

What are people's opinions on going for something like this?

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
If its got a service history and the belts have been done and its a decent price go for it

Westy. MX5
The F4R is the best bit on a 172, very durable with regular oil and belt changes. The rest of it is French!!!

Westy. MX5
Yeh, I know thats French as well, I was just saying that they can build the engine OK but not the rest.

ITB'd MK1
they definitely make the most power once they've hit 100k, if the rest of the car has been looked after too, then you're onto a winner IMO. Buy on condition and not mileage

I've been shying away from anything with 70k+....am I being stupid to? I'd usually rather pay more of a premium to get tidy low mileage example but seems to be a general consensus that mileage isn't that important but fsh and care is??

330i. E30 Touring.
I've been shying away from anything with 70k+....am I being stupid to? I'd usually rather pay more of a premium to get tidy low mileage example but seems to be a general consensus that mileage isn't that important but fsh and care is??

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head.

You can have a 20k miler which hasn't ever had a cambelt done/regular servicing, etc.

I personally like that people like yourself shy away from high milers. Makes them cheaper for me!

bought ours on 105k, fred rebuilt the lump and threw a new clutch assembley in. its standard, and its FAST for what it is. they are like a fine wine, just watch the suspension and zorst which are made from cheese and you'll be reete.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
<3 Mileage

e6.jpg

('55 plate Trophy btw)

Mk5 golf gti
Regular oil changes and belts up to date and you are onto a winner

Most ive seen with high miles need dephasers doing due to lack of oil changes

then for that extra money you have to spend you may aswell get a lower mileage better looked after example

im on the hunt for a bargain phase 1 myself for summer

182cup & 172 racecar
We wouldn't put an engine in the race car unless it's done 70k plus.

Naith you dick,your car is like Triggers broom,105k but been rebuilt.;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Experiencing the durability of the interior at 40,000 miles, thats with being looked after too, I can't see it getting any better after a good 100,000 miles.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Experiencing the durability of the interior at 40,000 miles, thats with being looked after too, I can't see it getting any better after a good 100,000 miles.

My interior is still even in great nic, even the original steering wheel is still in great condition none of the thumb grips are split etc..

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
I agree that alot of cars, most owned by people on here, will be very cared for and will go on for ever. However, I'd say a good 80% that get into the hands of people that don't give a sh*t will fall to pieces. There's no shying away from the fact the build quality on the MK2s is awful.

My Clio did over 200k, the only reason it died, is that the Aux belt broke and wrapped itself round the cambelt. I was really annoyed to have this happen, as it's a well known problem with the 172, and even more annoying as I had the cam belt replaced twice in the time I had it