ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hidden weight in a clio

Hi,
I have a clio track car which has had most of the obvious weight removed (stripped, buckets, cage etc). There are a few areas I'm aware of I want to address, such as the electric windows, and others I wish to leave as it's used on the road (central locking for instance), but where does weight hide in a clio (for instance an Audi TT has a 15kg mass damper behind the rear bumper...)

What have people removed which is significant after the really obvious stuff?
Cheers

Whereabouts? rear bumper? Are the crash bars/bumper mounts heavy?
Mine still has the dash in it (which is staying) but the aircon heater matrix is still there and Ive no idea what it weighs?

Yeah I want to keep that as I live in scotland, do wet trackdays and drive it on the road, but if the aircon unit is massively heavy it might be worth swapping to something simpler.

If you do wet trackdays, you'll want the air-con to keep that screen clear of mist, surely?
Aircon pump and belt and so on have gone, so it doesnt work anyway. I want to keep the heater and blower for demist (never seen the point in removing it all and then not being able to see)

Listerine & Poledo
PAS pumps?
Lightweight battery?
Carpets & sound deadening (guessing already done)
All the foam bumper inserts
Passenger-side mirror
Any glass that hasn't been swapped out for plastic.

....may as well remove the rear brakes entirely, thinking about it :)

PAS pumps?
Lightweight battery?
Carpets & sound deadening (guessing already done)
All the foam bumper inserts
Passenger-side mirror
Any glass that hasn't been swapped out for plastic.

....may as well remove the rear brakes entirely, thinking about it :smile:

PAS is still there, EPAS is a consideration for the future
Battery is on the list
All that has already gone
Is that just packing behind the bumper?
Haha, mirrors are staying (road use and pulling left after an overtake on UK circuits)
I'm avoiding plastic windows as it scratches horribly and heated rear is handy

CursedTitanium 182FF
Looks a bit like this.
DSCF0109.jpg

Can get to it from inside os/f wheelarch.

Worth finding that and getting rid!
I'm at 1005kg just now with a full cage, but even 20-30kg would be nice between battery, window regulators and stuff like that!

Cheers

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Acoustic valve, tar on the inside of the rear 1/4 panels. Excess loom. Rear wiper. 1 extra horn you don't need. Some of that isn't significant but it all adds up. Leave in the elec windows as the windy ones aren't that different and difficult to get hold of.

Acoustic valve, tar on the inside of the rear 1/4 panels. Excess loom. Rear wiper. 1 extra horn you don't need. Some of that isn't significant but it all adds up. Leave in the elec windows as the windy ones aren't that different and difficult to get hold of.

Carbon cannister is gone, although the little valve from the top of it seems noisy! (left that plugged into the cable)
Tar is gone
Loom I've done before on a previous car, so not worth the effort for 3kg or so.
Rear wiper is gone
1 horn is gone along with the larger of the two brackets
Yeah I was going to leave the drivers one for roadgoing convenience and then just add an alloy angle bracket to fix the passenger one permanently up and bin the complete regulator.

Cheers

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Have you got rid of the carbon canister?

Maybe a silly question how the hell do you get this out and what is it attatched to as i cant seem to get at mine to well. Is it just a matter of geting it and ripping it out or is their anything i should look out for?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah that's it. N/S. Easiest to take the bumper off and the headlight iirc. Leave the purge valve plugged in to stop a fault light coming up.

You need to block one of the lines to the inlet and put a fuel tank breather on the one that goes to the tank so it doesn't build up pressure with temperature changes.

Summary of items weighed for reference from my 172 cup

2.2kg Both Window motors complete
2 kg Both wing mirrors complete
2.8kg Tool Kit
3.5kg Front side window
3 kg Rear side window (including rubber edging)
4.8kg Back bench lower
9kg Back bench upper
3.2 Both front seat belt mechanisms
18.4 Single front seat
3.2kg Steering wheel with airbag
1.6kg Head unit
2kg Parcel shelf
2kg Roof lining
8kg Both front door cards
7.5kg Carpets
0.8kg Bulkhead heat shield
2.3kg Isofix bar
1.5kg Carbon Canister with bracket
1.5 Acoustic valve
0.8kg Foglights
2kg Nuts, bolts and bits
6kg Bag of further bits (Speakers, sun visors, rear seat belt rolls).
4.2kg Heater Matrix (all components’)
2.1kg Heater blower
4.5kg Lower Dash
4.1kg Dash support brace
2.8kg Passenger air bag
6kg Upper dash (for reference)
3.5kg Cup Spoiler
2.5kg Sport spoiler (for reference)
15.2 OEM Tailgate with glass (no spoiler and wiper)
23kg OEM Door with poly glass (no mirror and no door cards)
2.2kg inside of both headlights
14.5 OEM battery (for reference)
1.5kg Battery and ECU support brace.
3kg Airbag ECU with wires and associated bolts and also 2 x rear gas struts for tailgate
1.5kg Headlight blanks (DIY OEM lenses)
5.5kg Radiator and Fan (vw polo rad and fan 3.5kg)
11.2kg Bonnet (GRP bonnet 5.1 kg)

There's prob some bits I missed, but you get the idea

Mines 872 dry with cage, single seat, there is still weight to be saves, better lightweight seat and subframe, poly windscreen, shell sandblasted/dripped. But then i think all that would only really save an around 50kg max!

Willwoods over oem also would sae about 6kg.

Cant see it getting to 650 unless you made bespoke drive shafts, hubs etc but would be mega bucks.

Thanks very much for posting that up, some heavier and some lighter than I expected!

Won't be going heated screen, nor composite panels, the bang for buck ratio isn't good enough.

The odd thing I found is removing the spare wheel does make a difference as its so blooming heavy. But what shocked me was taking out the rear seat rests which weigh nowhere near as much. That made a big difference. Steering feels lighter at the front now!

Could be that the spare is very close to the floor and the seats are higher?

Debating in stripping the lot out but it looks quite nice and tidy as it is at the moment.

No its a full size 172 sport wheel with tyre and jack etc.

Debating on stripping more of the car now but the rear looks "tidy" as is. Also not sure if theres a lot of weight to be saved for a road/occasional track car.