ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hi i am new and looking for advice on a 172cup?

late 2003 172cup
hi peeps, i am brucey member of the pgac:) had a nice 106gti not long ago some of you might of seen it at last years fcs

P5140011.jpg

well my good darling of a girlfriend is lookin at a 52 plate 172cup with 53k on the clock, its on auto trader at the min for £5,995. now i dont really know what i am lookin for with one of these, so if anyone could help me on what to look for i would be really pleased :D here is the link, if anybody knows the car please say then i know whether to buy or not? let me know what you guys think. going to look at it sunday hopefully? and there is a reason we are lookin through trade, my girl has a 52 punto active sport to trade in. the old fiats dont sell very well:(

http://www.stephenphilipsltd.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=23926&pageid=2

thanks for your time, hope i can post again soon with some pics maybe? lol.

cheers

brucey and my girl wilma :D

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Common faults of the clio 172 cup

1 - always check the gearbox ( JC5 129 ) check for synchro's crunching when changing gear and keep an eye out for the box jumping out of gear and also any winding noises on acceleration.

2 - engine mounts - these break for fun - check for clunking and movement on acceleration.

3 - cat and middlebox - check for any signs of corrosion as ther ££££££ to buy ( aftermarket stainless steel are better quality and cheaper )

4 - make sure the service history is up to date ( if it doesnt have any be careful )

5 - check for poor starting ( tdc sensor / temp sensor )

6 - wear and splits on thumb support ( steering wheel )

7 - elec window mechanisms - always breaking and you cant buy bits to repair. Complete unit from renault is £180 + vat .... ( £75 new from me ;))

8 - airbag warning light on - dodgy wiring under seats leading to seatbelt pre-tensioners - easy repair

9 - make sure the lights, indicators and wipers all work ( if they dont it could be the UCH ) they cost ££££

10 - plip keys - make sure theres 2 and they both work

11 - starter motor dodgy wiring

12 - alternator - check its charging and not making any worn bearing noises - if the pulley snaps off the alt belt can fly into the cambelt and make a real mess of your top end.

13 - missing front splitter

14 - smoke coming from back box - blue in colour - signs of a well hammered lump ( chris n nic ) lol

15 - misfire - coil pack

Thats it really - there a cracking little car, very fast and bits are relatively cheap if you stay clear of the main dealers. At 60k they start falling apart so make sure its a good one.

late 2003 172cup
jesus mate thanks for that! better get a pen and write all this down! lol, dealer wont be happy with me:D

thanks again mate, very usefull.

late 2003 172cup
justinRT said:
Welcome mate, like the seats in that cup!

do you want them? if not they better be comfortable!

readin this site i am gettin scared off a 172 cup! prices! boo hoo wheres my 106 :(
lmao

lovely lookin cars though

MERCEDES CLS AMG
JC5 129 is a 172 cup box. A lot of 172 gearboxes dont have a speedo drive as the speedo is powered by the ABS system ( through ABS sensor on hub ) . The JC5 129 has a speedo drive which makes the box a little rarer to get hold of second hand. I dont know if your aware but the CUP doesnt have ABS.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
maby worth pointing out just incase you dont already know that the cup doesn't have air con, xenon headlights, ABS, Traction Control etc

with the FF (full fat, all the toys) 172/182 you get half leather/alacantra interior, full climate control, Xenon headlights ABS, ESP is standard on 182s and after 2003 (i think) on 172s, some have optional colour sat nav, also i think you get the better Cabase cd player in FF's and not in the cup but i could be wrong

Golf GTi Mk2
The only advice i can offer is, buy mine. It has air con (climate), turinis, is silver, private plate, and an imminent price drop.
PM me for details / pictures et al..

BMW 330d :)
I thought if you ordered a 172 cup new from the factory you could get aircon in a blue one too?? Prob talkin sh!te though

Frasers Cup said:
I thought if you ordered a 172 cup new from the factory you could get aircon in a blue one too?? Prob talkin sh!te though

yep u could do , extra option me thinks , extra money too .:eek:

My other halfs blue 53 plate Cup has climate control - Oh and is up for sale at the same price you are willing to pay but has done 20k less miles!! PM me if you want any further details.

G

late 2003 172cup
Garf172 said:
hey fella welcome to the club, nice gti btw

thanks buddy :D

it wa tuned slightly, had just shy of 160bhp at the fly. had ecosse filter, kent cams, l/b flywheel, unichip, full magnex inc. decat. she went well bless her.

thanks again

late 2003 172cup
Gee Cup said:
My other halfs blue 53 plate Cup has climate control - Oh and is up for sale at the same price you are willing to pay but has done 20k less miles!! PM me if you want any further details.

G

wish i could! have to trade in a fiat punto in too as thats half the car paid for ;)

cav turbo
just thought i had better let you all know,he's now desided again'st a clio,as someone has put him off the running of 1.

and he's going to go and have a look at a paxo vts lol

late 2003 172cup
1l7e2e said:
just thought i had better let you all know,he's now desided again'st a clio,as someone has put him off the running of 1.

and he's going to go and have a look at a paxo vts lol

and can i also add that money bags! before he got a bargin was also considering a paxo!

seeing i had a 106 b4 know what to expect from a vts, got scared off the renny in the end :( nice cars tho.

see you l8r money bags!

cav turbo
brucey106 said:
and can i also add that money bags! before he got a bargin was also considering a paxo!

seeing i had a 106 b4 know what to expect from a vts, got scared off the renny in the end :( nice cars tho.

see you l8r money bags!

yes ok mate. best you sign up to the paxo club:rasp: :rasp: :sleepy:

late 2003 172cup
nah mate , pgac member thru and thru. gonna park saxo bang in the middle of the 106's at fcs2006 :evil:

nice! :rasp: