ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! under door handle lights?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Im interested in putting some leds or something under the door handle, so when the interior lights comes on so do the leds etc....

so when you press the central locking the leds comes on with the interior light?

anyone help me?????

Fabia vRS
I got some leds to go in mine too, they are under the dash at the moment, but was thinking of moving them to the handles. Surely that is a convenience type mod rather than a chavvy one...?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
halfords do some but i want it to run off the same circit as the interior light, so when its dark they light up once unlocked.

anyone?

Fabia vRS
Haven't fitted mine, and haven't full investigated it yet either.

But I reckon: find the switch wire for the interior light in the headlining, then run the switch wire along the top of the screen/headlining, then down inside the capping for the windscreen pillar.
I've already found an earth point for other stuff under the dash, think it's where the plastic part of the upper dash is screwed/bolted to an alloy frame, which is then in turn bolted to the body.
I hoped that I'd be able to pass the very thin wires through the rubber trunking for the other cables (inc central locking and electric windows).
The door card would have to be removed to get access to the inside of the handle, but it shouldn't be too difficult to remove, should it...?
Then I reckon the wire is thin enough to pass through the gap in the door to the inside of the handle.

Reckon you would have to take all the things apart, then fit in reverse order of the above list.

Wot u think?

The new BMW 3 series has this feature on it. When you unlock it about 5 leds per handle turn on, and produce a light blue colour. Looks really good at night, and is quite pratical.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
jonnybad said:
Haven't fitted mine, and haven't full investigated it yet either.

But I reckon: find the switch wire for the interior light in the headlining, then run the switch wire along the top of the screen/headlining, then down inside the capping for the windscreen pillar.
I've already found an earth point for other stuff under the dash, think it's where the plastic part of the upper dash is screwed/bolted to an alloy frame, which is then in turn bolted to the body.
I hoped that I'd be able to pass the very thin wires through the rubber trunking for the other cables (inc central locking and electric windows).
The door card would have to be removed to get access to the inside of the handle, but it shouldn't be too difficult to remove, should it...?
Then I reckon the wire is thin enough to pass through the gap in the door to the inside of the handle.

Reckon you would have to take all the things apart, then fit in reverse order of the above list.

Wot u think?

see i dont wana run wires from the interior light, i would rather run them from the engine.

Clio Campus Sport
if u dont run it off the interior light, theres no way ur gona get the door handle leds to turn on when u unlock ur car!

Has to come from one of your interior lights, either the one inside the car or the one inside the boot. The boot light is the easiest to run wires from as you don't have to mess about with the roof liner etc.

Bye Bye 182....
You say door handle lights how / where exaclty (Besides the blindingly obvious) are these going to be fitted and what method are you going to use? Will they be inside the handle or through the door card?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
dont know, dont know, dont know LOL

it was just an idea

surely you could just find where the interior lights runs from under the bonnet and connect the wires there.

and i want the lights unders the door handle so you cant see them

Da

Less
Nightfire said:
Has to come from one of your interior lights, either the one inside the car or the one inside the boot. The boot light is the easiest to run wires from as you don't have to mess about with the roof liner etc.
agreed, but the boot light doesn't illuminate when the car is unlocked as far as i'm aware? It only has one +ve feed whereas the interior courtesy light has 2 +ve feeds at it.

andy con said:
surely you could just find where the interior lights runs from under the bonnet and connect the wires there.
i wouldn't like to start looking for the interior courtesy light cables in and amongst the wiring loom in the engine bay. I would suggest that you find which A pillar the cables travel down (probably drivers side) to behind the dash board. Get your lights mounted wired up etc then do your connecting under the dash. Much easier IMO.

Last edited:
  Mk1 1.4RT
This is something I'm gonna look at doing to my mark1 out of pure boredom this summer. (I could get a job but after 4years of uni I'm gonna be lazy for as long as possible).
Of course the mark one lights don't turn on till the doors are opened so gonna try and find some kind of relay that'll turn the lights on when an input is grounded and then probably be a timer till they turn off. The input being the AUX output on my alarm. Though i can't remember if the AUX activates when you unlock the doors, have a feeling its a seperate control. I'm sure theres other bits of the alarm that ground when its unarmed, ie. The central locking controls.
Still something to think about.

182 Full Fat
andy_con said:
Im interested in putting some leds or something under the door handle, so when the interior lights comes on so do the leds etc....

so when you press the central locking the leds comes on with the interior light?

anyone help me?????

Once located, this would be a great Mod. I would start by popping out the interior light and checking out the direction of the wires. :S
How you going to mount the LED's under the handle?? :rolleyes:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
But if you wire it to the interior light, everytime you open a car door the lights will come on, or for that matter whenever you switch the interior light on ..

A better idea would be to run a slave timed relay off the central locking actuator pump, so that the handles only light up when the central locking is unlocked, then just set the slave relay to 5 seconds or whatever

182 Full Fat
KDF said:
But if you wire it to the interior light, everytime you open a car door the lights will come on, or for that matter whenever you switch the interior light on ..

A better idea would be to run a slave timed relay off the central locking actuator pump, so that the handles only light up when the central locking is unlocked, then just set the slave relay to 5 seconds or whatever

Sounds complicated. Where would I obtain a slave relay? Electrical shop?? :S

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Maplins
Rs Components
CPC

Any of them should do a 12v timed relay. Simply put you take a feed from the switched 12v+ on the actuator pump, feed that to the timed relay and also feed the timed relay a constant 12v+ feed, when you click the keyfob to open the doors 12v+ is sent to the actuator pump, this inturn is then sent to the timed 12v relay, this feed activates the relay which sends the permanent 12v+ through the relay to the LED's and after 5 seconds the relay deactivates the permanent feed from the relays until the next time you unlock the car.

Infact im sure I have a timed 12v relay at home, i'll have a look for it when I get a chance.

Fabia vRS
KDF said:

But surely as there are 2 +ve switch wires at the interior light, just test which one is for the door 'open' or 'unlock' function on the interior light-then connect your handles cables to that?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Depends on how it is wired, but why run a wire all the way up the piller and headlining when you have a wire that can do what you want already in the door ?

One thing I do like about the interior light idea is that there is a dimmer on it, so it fades out, if you could tap into that the theoretically the LED's would also fade out. Have you thought about how you are going to attach the LED's to the door handles ?

Fabia vRS
KDF said:
Depends on how it is wired, but why run a wire all the way up the piller and headlining when you have a wire that can do what you want already in the door ?

One thing I do like about the interior light idea is that there is a dimmer on it, so it fades out, if you could tap into that the theoretically the LED's would also fade out. Have you thought about how you are going to attach the LED's to the door handles ?

Mmm, good point!! Plus I think the power supply etc for the stuff in the door connects to the body via a plug, rather than complete cable. If that's the case, then it'd be a pain in the ass to connect the led through it.

The door handle LED's I'm using under the dash are from the Chavspeed section of halfords, think they are made by PRISM-bout £10 for the pair. 4 hi-power micro leds set in a line on a flat self adhesive strip. Figured that once you've degreased the inside of the plastic handle (I'd use meths) then they should stick pretty well, cos they have under the dash.

How much do you reckon for a slave timed relay? Guess it would be easiest to buy 2, one for each door?!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If you run it from the interior light, 1. If your running it from the door then ye you would need 2 to save running a cable right the way across the car. The ampage usage of the LED's would be very low so you could probably get away with a very small relay as you wouldnt be switching high amps.

I must have a look at these LED strips, I was thinking SMD LED's would be best due to their size and light distribution pattern. Im gonna see what I can come up with for a complete circut, if I get anything good i'll post up the part numbers and circut diagram for ya.

edit*

Here is what I was thinking (in white)

Current consumption is 220mA
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47376&criteria=smd led strip&doy=3m5

But would probably want a strip with SMD LED's closer together and cuttable in shorter lengths

Last edited:
  V6 Exige, GTR R35
surely you could just run a live feed into each door connected directly to a individual relay also mounted in each door. then use the signal from the central locking motor located in each door to trigger the relay? or is this what you said already?

My trusty lil 182 :)
Just a thought with running the feed from the central locking motor - if you have the anti-hijack locking enabled would the door handle lights not come on when the doors lock as you drive away/unlock when you open the doors?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yes it would if you go with the actuators, it wouldnt if you went with interior light. The fix is not to use the renault auto locking.. there would be other ways of getting around it but it would complicate the circut as cost extra ££

Having spent some time thinking about it, the interior light IS probably the better/cheaper option, as you would be able to hijack its supply and use its dimming function, and LED draw such little current that you wouldnt overload the existing circuts. I would say 3 SMD wide angle LED/handle would do the job.

Waterproofing is the next step ;)

Black 172 MK2
stoddie said:
surely you could just run a live feed into each door connected directly to a individual relay also mounted in each door. then use the signal from the central locking motor located in each door to trigger the relay? or is this what you said already?

just what i was thinking. as the wires are right there :s

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
stoddie said:

Ye thats what I said before, but there is a downside if you use the renault ajax thingmy.. the thing that locks the doors for you as you drive off, not sure if this would affect it or not, theoretically the doors handles would only light up on unlocking, which would mean the lights would come on when you open the door (if using the ajax thing)

I dont think the fader on the interior light will work well with the LED without further modification either, or rather it probably will work but will shorten their life.

Last edited:
M

mouthyman

just put in a switch onto the door yourself and get power from the closest 12v source.