ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed to remove scratches and swirls

Black Gold 182
Hi all, ive got absolutly no experience in car detailing and i'd really like a few tips on how to remove scratches and swirls by hand?

The car comes up lovely with some SRP however when the sun shines on it or at a garage forecourt etc there are quite a few swirls and scratches i can see in the paint, I don't have a machine polisher so it will have to be by hand.

Any tips on what products to use would be greatly appreciated, i understand i'm not gunna achieve miracles without a machine polisher, but if i could just remove them as best as i can by hand it would be great.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You won't.

SRP isn't a polish - it mostly fills. Fairly pointless IMO.

I'd take it to someone like White Details (http://www.whitedetails.co.uk/) and then just treat it properly post-correction.

Might cost you £200 for a 1-day tickle rather than a full correction (I'm guessing) but it will look immense.

£200 at CYC or i4D will get you a machine and a couple of pads and some polish but really you're looking at spending way more than that (even more so if you get 'the bug' :eek: )

I machine polished my scoob 2 years ago and it's just about due a minor-correction now... not worth the out lay unless you've a fleet of cars to keep on top of.

Just some thoughts anyway... :cool:

Black Gold 182
is there nothing at all i can do to even correct them a bit?

Ive heard good things about meguires scratch X, but ive also read that it can leave the paint a little dull after...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll really struggle to correct anything by hand. 99% of the stuff on the market will be just fillers. Black hole, etc.

Being able to do what a machine polisher does, by hand will leave you unconscious in minutes haha :eek:

You could SRP, then black hole/prima amigo then wax or zaino it .. but, in a couple of months time even if you don't wash it .. it'll all start to degrade and they'll show again.

No one local got a polisher ? Friends etc..?

Seriously worth asking Jim @ white details what a minor correction would cost. If it's £900, then buy yourself a polisher..... if it's £150 for a half day correction, get it booked in !

Black Gold 182
You'll really struggle to correct anything by hand. 99% of the stuff on the market will be just fillers. Black hole, etc.

Being able to do what a machine polisher does, by hand will leave you unconscious in minutes haha :eek:

You could SRP, then black hole/prima amigo then wax or zaino it .. but, in a couple of months time even if you don't wash it .. it'll all start to degrade and they'll show again.

No one local got a polisher ? Friends etc..?

Seriously worth asking Jim @ white details what a minor correction would cost. If it's £900, then buy yourself a polisher..... if it's £150 for a half day correction, get it booked in !

Ive sent an e-mail to jim asking for a quote if its £150 i'll deffinatly get it booked in.

Ive just text a mate asking if i can borrow his polisher, What products would be best to use with the polisher? and also as ive only used a polisher a couple of time with SRP on my car, is there a certain way to use it so that i dont end up ruining the paint completly.

Ive sent an e-mail to jim asking for a quote if its £150 i'll deffinatly get it booked in.

Ive just text a mate asking if i can borrow his polisher, What products would be best to use with the polisher? and also as ive only used a polisher a couple of time with SRP on my car, is there a certain way to use it so that i dont end up ruining the paint completly.

AS great as Jim's work is, you get what you pay for. He is VERY reasonable, but I fear it may be above your expectations. The other alternative is to go to a hobbyist who'll charge beer money and do an OK job. I use to just provide machine polishing services for £125 a few years ago, as that's all most people needed. The rest (trim, engine, interior etc) could all be DIY'd.

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
I'd take it to someone like White Details (http://www.whitedetails.co.uk/) and then just treat it properly post-correction.

Thanks for the heads up chap!

Kingy, you have mail :) As JD says, I see it's perhaps a little over your budget/expectations. Quoted for a two stage machine polish aiming to push for >80/85% correction over the 1.5 days. Something CAN be done within a day, and, to a £200 budget, but thought i'd send through the recommended based on the info you had given in your email.

Ta!

Black Gold 182
Thanks for the heads up chap!

Kingy, you have mail :) As JD says, I see it's perhaps a little over your budget/expectations. Quoted for a two stage machine polish aiming to push for >80/85% correction over the 1.5 days. Something CAN be done within a day, and, to a £200 budget, but thought i'd send through the recommended based on the info you had given in your email.

Ta!

Hi Jim sorry for the late reply i havent been on here for a while, I will be in touch sometime nearer the end of the month when my pockets are a little fuller in regards to having the correction done as this week ive had insurance renewal, tax, M.O.T and a service all in one week....OUCH.

Kingy, follow Jim on Facebook if you have it. It shows up his work. A lot of people have the gear. Very few have the eye. The man is brilliant at what he does.