ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hello alll - 172 advice?

M135i
Firstly, Hi everyone - what a great site this is! I was drawn to it while on my hunt for a RS clio and seem to have passed a fair few hours just browsing and reading :).

Having speant 4-6 weeks searching and losing ebay bids searching for my first RS clio, I was wondering if anyone had any advice; my main aim is to get into trackdays for a relatively small initial outlay then slowly do the car up over time (cliché I know!) the car will not be my main car, but still would want it road legal (at first).

Anyway - I started out thinking about a standard 80k-100k miles 172 ph1 for circa £1k, after losing a few auction bids - I decided to broaden my horizons a little and raise my budget to £1.5k which started cropping up ph2's which I must admit I've wanted one since I was younger when they first came out and having looked at them I've gone off the idea of a ph1 now, a week later I found myself looking at 172 cup's for ~£2k (more than I'd planned) which made me realise I'm not quite sure what I want..

What I'm mainly unsure about is:
What's the best car to go for for my budget (£1.5k-2k) ;
172 ph2 80-100k miles (~£1.5k)
172 ph2 60-80k miles (~£2k)
172 cup 80+k (2k min)

I must admit "high" mileage has always concerned me, I've never owned a car past 75k so the idea of buying one on 90k+ is a bit alien to me - is this something I should be worried about or would it not really matter if the car comes with full service history etc?

Any suggestions/advice much appreciated.

Cheers!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If I could go back I'd buy another Ph1. I dunno what it is but I just preferred the way it feels! I love my cup but for some weird reason, it doesn't feel as well put together as my ph1's I've had! Only thing that puts me off another ph1 is the horrible dash and the fact that they all have aircon (more expensive to get the belts done - which is a MUST for these cars).
As long as it has full history with regular oil changes (with the correct grade oil) and has had the belts done by someone with the correct tools you'll be fine.

WRX
Go for the one you prefer, it's going to be your car, they are all excellent track cars from factory. You don't need to spend a fortune for track use, just upgrade the brakes and you're ready - Brembo discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Dot 5.1 fluid and braided lines. That's all you NEED. That's all mine has got and I defy anybody to say you need anything else. To spend anymore is just personal choice on minor improvements to suspension etc but really not absolutely necessary.
I went Ph2 because I prefer the look.

Mk2 Ph2 172
By the One with the best history you can find with recent belts, brakes, shocks etc... Changed as it will be better on your wallet in the near future !!! Along with that buy on condition!!

a 55k miles car that has not been serviced or looked after won't be as good as 110k mile car that has been, mileage is just figure !!!

Look for receipts of recent work and don't be put off cars that have been self serviced, these generally mean they have been better looked after rather than people that just chuck there car in a garage to be done !!!

clio 172
Hi have just joined myself having bought a Clio RS for track days, think the cars had a hard life but everything seems ok at the moment, it has adjustables all round and groove/drilled front worn discs on the front that are going to need to be changed very soon. happy with it at the mo.

M135i
Hi guys - appreciate all the feedback.

I've definitely been looking for ones with recent belt changes as from what I gather this costs ~£500 to get done properly, although I'm hoping this will become a bit of a project to improve my general mechanic skills (currently fairly amatuer, oil changes etc) I wouldn't want to buy one then attempt a cambelt change straight away ;-)

I've decided to go for a ph2, but would a cup be worth the extra £300-400 over a standard 172? (bearing in mind this extra cash brings it into the ball park for a cheap 182 which adds more confusion :( )

Cheers,
Chris.

clio 172 phase 1
Hi mate welcome!!! I have owned a 182 cup, 182 ff, 172 phase 2 and a phase 1 which is my current car!! And I would honestly say after owning and driving them all it's the phase 1 allday long for me!!! (personal opinion) but which ever u choose your better buying off here than eBay as they will be looked after etc

Regards bob

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Welcome :) Concerning millage, 100K+ is nothing for an engine of modern car like the 172/182 provided it has been looked after properly, meaning it has had regular services to change the oil, oil filter and belts when needed. The antifreeze has an anti-corrosion additive in it so the block should also be all ok on the inside :)

M135i
Hi guys, just a quick one to say thanks for your input! After taking your comments on board and a good look around I purchased a 52reg totally standard 172ff with 78k miles, picked it up yesterday :) The drive home put one big smile on my face.. It sounds amazing when up high in the revs - wish I'd got one much sooner!