ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Correction

Mk3 Megane 250
So got the 3M kit of eBay, looked at the Meguiars kit but thought you will get better results sanding the lense down first the polishing up rather than just the compound with the Meguiars kit.

The lenses themselves were in terrible condition, weather it was a type of glue on it or something else, it just chewed the first sanding disc, so save ruining the rest of the pads i cracked out the 240 grit wet & dry. What a difference that made, putting a wee bit of elbow grease in first then using the 3M kit after. So my advice would be spend 10 mins a light first with some 240 Wet & dry before using the kit as you do not get many pads.

The pics aren't the best but what a difference after tackling this.

Before

2014-06-28 16.46.28.jpg

After

2014-06-29 13.59.33.jpg

240 grit?! Holy hell. Did you have that left over from sanding down metal? God forbid someone follows your advice.

Mk3 Megane 250
It worked for me, if you really want work up to 400 then 500 then 800, as i said i done this by hand to get the worst of the rubbish/glue residue of as it was just chewing everything else up.

@JD

What grade would you recommend starting at? I recently bought the 3M kit as well and will hopefully be doing my lights this week.

It worked for me, if you really want work up to 400 then 500 then 800, as i said i done this by hand to get the worst of the rubbish/glue residue of as it was just chewing everything else up.

You didn't work up at all? Christ, Ian - there are going to be a heck of a lot of scratches in the plastic, fella. Most likely irreparable too.

@JD

What grade would you recommend starting at? I recently bought the 3M kit as well and will hopefully be doing my lights this week.

2000. Yes, it takes time. But the simple fact is, anything lower and you'll not get the marks out. This is plastic, not paint. There are no layers, it's a single unit. Start off with 2000, work up through 3000 and 4000 and then polish back.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
My headlights look worse than that pictured and were quite pitted, one light I started at 1200 and this alone left some deep marks that took a bit of time to remove, the other only needed 1500, working back up to 2000 and 2500 before using a cutting polish. If they did have some form of glue on them? you should have used a chemical cleaner like tar and glue remover first.

To those reading this thread looking to do it themselves, please do not start with such agressive paper.

You don't actually need W&D - it's to speed up the process. You can get perfect results with a machine polisher only.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I did try going straight in with the cutting compound, but in my case it wasn't enough for the pitting. Hazing it was removing fine

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I used 1500, 2000 and 2500 before going at it with Menz 2500.... Worked a treat on mine :)

240 is mental, Surely they must be using a different scale? That must be rocks glued to some paper.

Think i started at 600-800-1200-1500 then compound out.

240 is a bit low lol. although if you go up 1 grade at a time youll be okay i should think.

Mk3 Megane 250
You didn't work up at all? Christ, Ian - there are going to be a heck of a lot of scratches in the plastic, fella. Most likely irreparable too.

2000. Yes, it takes time. But the simple fact is, anything lower and you'll not get the marks out. This is plastic, not paint. There are no layers, it's a single unit. Start off with 2000, work up through 3000 and 4000 and then polish back.
Totally get where your coming from, but they were really bad - whether or not i wasn't going at them enough so never went crazy mad i don't know, but as said it worked for me and all i had at the time lying round. I need new lights anyway due to them being buggered inside with the clips burst.

On a different note, have you had a chance to use/look at Farecla G3 Super Gloss Paste? Reading a few reviews and a few have said its just as good as the Autoglym HD - i know you get what you pay for, but just looking for thoughts?

Totally get where your coming from, but they were really bad - whether or not i wasn't going at them enough so never went crazy mad i don't know, but as said it worked for me and all i had at the time lying round. I need new lights anyway due to them being buggered inside with the clips burst.

On a different note, have you had a chance to use/look at Farecla G3 Super Gloss Paste? Reading a few reviews and a few have said its just as good as the Autoglym HD - i know you get what you pay for, but just looking for thoughts?

I haven't chap, no. I'd be tempted to stick with the stuff you know is good. But then again, we'd not move on if no one stepped away from the tried and tested! Let us know what you think if you do bite the bullet.

Mk3 Megane 250
Yeah i bit the bullet already, Not had any decent products in a while, so thought i'd give it a whizz, will post up results when i get round to it.