ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hazards won't go off!

Renault Clio 172
My 172 received a slight frontal knock yesterday in the snow (thank god no damage!) but since then my hazard lights won't go off!

I abandoned the car outside Halfords (no way its getting up the hills where I live, traction is crap!) and the guys in there didn't have a clue what to do!

I've removed the fuse for the indicators/hazards so I don't have a flat battery when I can finally go pick her up.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can turn them off? Pressing the button does nothing, and only when the button is held in, they are off :mad:

Please help!
~ Barbie172

Hyundai i40
its prob just wear and tear.......mine never switched on till i replaced the switch

Common problem IIRC

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I had where mine wouldnt switch on, took the switch out and wobbled it around..it makes a click noise and unjammed. Just mess around with it.

Renault Clio 172
I've tried wobbling the switch around a bit yesterday in order to try to get it out, but didn't budge. Does the surrounding panel need to be removed first? If so, what's the easiest way to get it off? Can't really do much until the snow clears and I can get back down to the car. Got over a foot at the moment =[

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You just pop off the triangle, it happened to mine.

E87 118d M Sport
dammit. ill take one if anyone else has a spare one. i brushed over mine the other day whilst cleaning. took 5 mins to turn it off.

JAB - tick tock - JAB - tick tock - JABHARDER - tick...FFS.

eventually it works.

Renault Clio 172
They shouldn't make these things so sensitive! I thought maybe it was the slight front-end knock that caused the problem?

E87 118d M Sport
thats a thought. altho that would be an MOT failure wouldnt it? do they check the hazards when they check the indicators?

Slooooow Ass 1.2
I got pi**ed off with mine and put loctite on it to keep it shut, need to replace it now though.

2 days of hazards lights while driving gets annoying so out cam the loctite.

Asked Renault and they want 20 quid for the clip so going to the local breakers yard

Slooooow Ass 1.2
When i called he didnt ask me anything else after i asked for a hazard clip so i presume they are all the same, then again it is french so you never know

Renault Clio 172
so how do I get the button out? will it come out with a bit of force down the side of the button to flip it out, or am I going to have to remove the surrounding panel?

Renault Clio 172
Ok, I'll try that over the weekend when the snows cleared enough to be able to get down to the car! Thanks =]

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Unplug it you goons! No need to remove fuses or what not. If you unplug it the indicators still work

1.5dci
had the same prob last month, put the hazards on went to turn them off and the button wouldn't stay put, tried holding it in for a bit but needed to be able to change gear without the lights coming on so stopped, grabed the gaffa tape and taped it in, got home and pulled out the haynes manual to look at replacing it but found the driving with the tape got it back in, now i'm worried about needing to use them again and the same thing happening, it was the first time i've used the button since getting her!
Anyone know if it's wear or just a failed button, if its not wear then I might try a trip to the scrap yard to get a new one ready.

BMW 323i Coupe
If you haven't done it yet, get something like a flat headed screwdriver or a knife, and wedge it under the button and pull it out, the wires will pull out from the back when you put pressure on the sides.

Simple to replace then.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
the panel just comes off

if it helps take the radio out and it just clips out

Mustang, S13, AX GT
we do 5 or 6 a month of these, ~£20 inc vat, they used to be ~£40
Is that for the part alone or part and fitting? When I replaced it in my 1.2 it was £15 for a new switch and about 2 minutes to change it.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Mine has started randomly going on and off? If i unplug the switch it makes no difference, still goes on and off at random?

Do you think a new switch will fix it or is it properly fucked?