ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling, just mine or others too?

B

Bucko

I have Contisports all round and barely even notice the water on the roads, they are awesome tyres.

Get rid of your budget tyres and you will notice an immediate improvement

wet roads cold weather +cup= fail id be taking it extra carefull if i was u

See i've never got these comments before, people seem to think that if you have a cup and its wet your going to go round a corner and then all of a sudden you'll just understeer/oversteer/roll or flip the car. Its a load of tosh to be quite honest.

A cup is a perfectly good car in the wet/cold/ slippery conditions when you dont have an idiot behind the wheel...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
+1 tbh. How i survived my last cup for three winters i 'll never know. By CS law i should be dead by now?

ph2 172
I have Contisports all round and barely even notice the water on the roads, they are awesome tyres.

this, i have them and v good all round tyres v impressed

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
its not like im tearing round the streets :)

bear in mind this is at speeds of 50-60 on long sweeping corners and 30 on huge roundabouts, nothing that should be posing a car like this problems, its caught me out twice but ive managed to correct it, its horrible because im driving normally and it just attacks me lol, it feels like its not connected to the road, in the dry, its awesome

Drive like a Hero, what do you expect?
They are also pretty light cars, cant expect much.

I can't see there being any magical problem with your cup where it loses all control for no reason in the wet.

It's one of or a combination of crappy tyres and not compensating enough for the road conditions.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
conti's are great on the cup. the cups aint good in the wet,the back end is light. try abit of practice in a carpark drifting it to get ya confidence up. they are set up to be focused like that.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont rate the F1's compared to the PE2's in the dry but in the wet i would say the F1's are just as good if not slightly better in the wet.

Never tried PE2s but agree that F1s are really good in the wet and for 20 quid a corner less than PE2s I'm happy.

I really liked my Conti's but they seemed to wear very quickly with the fronts lasting under 6000 miles.

Cup and R6
Drive like a Hero, what do you expect?
They are also pretty light cars, cant expect much.

its hardly driving like a hero when theres a bog standard clio next to me doing the same speed lol

thanks for all the comments, ill have a looksee at some conti's, exalto and the hankooks

Golf GTD Mk7
its hardly driving like a hero when theres a bog standard clio next to me doing the same speed lol

thanks for all the comments, ill have a looksee at some conti's, exalto and the hankooks

don't bother with contis. they dont last long. grippy though. PE2's are good in wet and dry, so would definately recommend.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
See i've never got these comments before, people seem to think that if you have a cup and its wet your going to go round a corner and then all of a sudden you'll just understeer/oversteer/roll or flip the car. Its a load of tosh to be quite honest.

A cup is a perfectly good car in the wet/cold/ slippery conditions when you dont have an idiot behind the wheel...

I'm very nervous of mine in the wet but to be honest I have no reason to be(its because of what I've read on here), it has never been anything but planted and grips more than i expect it will even in the wet. Have started trying to find the limits a bit in the wet now!!

Tyre wise I have Bridgestone RE050A with reinforced side walls. Made the ride a little more crashy but defiantly improved turn in considerably. Plenty of grip in the dry and good grip and very predictable in the wet imo, but i was coming from having budgets on the front.

Clio 172 Cup
I would actually have your geometry/tracking checked first. It's far cheaper than a set of tyres and may solve the problem.

I've fairly recently bought a 172 Cup as a winter hack to save me freezing my fingers off on my sportsbike through the cold months. My last car was a very well sorted Impreza Turbo and I'm still incredibly impressed with the handling and sure-footedness (sp?) of my Clio. It's on coilovers and I had Mark fish set it up a fortnight ago and it just seems incredibly chuckable and resistant to understeer. My Impreza would actually start to scrub the front before the Renault does and I would actually prefer mine if it were easier to provoke with a mid corner lift.

I'm not poo pooing the advice of good rubber but I wouldn't start there. If it turns out your wheels are pointing in the right direction, at least you will have peace of mind in that new rubber will be working and wearing as it should.

Clio 182 arctic
can't believe people dont rate exaltos in the wet, I swear by them
+1
I actually prefer driving in the wet in them, i have come up to a few corners in the wet and thought 'uh-oh' then not so much as a flicker. sheer brilliance, the tyre i will be staying on from now on. plus £375 all in, i wont complain.

Clio 172 RS2
I guess it's just you!
Don't chuck it into corners when it's wet like you normally would do in the dry...
Gentle and smooth does it, let the car do the work...

Running on -3 milimeter profile Uniroyal Rainsport 2, still overtaking 'faster' cars in the left lane while driving in the right lane. Still no understeer to be found.
(yes new fro. tyers due up soon!)

As to the back snapping at ya'?
Rear tyres okay?
Never ever had that happening to me, i don't even carry the spare wheel with me and tools like a 182!

As to the tyres; everybody has their own favorate brand / model.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
i know your tyres are not the best and the wet doesnt help,but if it doesnt feel planted on a long sweeping corner at the speed you described i would think its more than tyres bud,i think you should get all the suspension geometry checked as i suspect its out,maybe not much but imo theres more to this than the rubber,gd luck:D