ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling, just mine or others too?

Cup and R6
noticed recently in the awesome weather we're having recently that my cup is actually pretty crap at handling when its wet, understeer city then if you back off it tries to get its tail out, cant seem to win except drive like a grandma.

tyres are good, pressures are good, dampers are good, its tried stepping out twice recently and it just inspires no confidence :(

is it just the fact mines a nail or is everyone else struggling in the wet?

Cup and R6
Learn to drive to the conditions mate, take it a lot easier when its wet!

its not like im tearing round the streets :)

bear in mind this is at speeds of 50-60 on long sweeping corners and 30 on huge roundabouts, nothing that should be posing a car like this problems, its caught me out twice but ive managed to correct it, its horrible because im driving normally and it just attacks me lol, it feels like its not connected to the road, in the dry, its awesome

Cup and R6
Tyres ok then mate?

yeah they have plenty of tread, im thinking its because i have two different makes of tyres, on the front and back, when i bought it it had toyos on the front and nankang on the back, who the hell buys budget tyres for this kind of car? i need to change them ASAP

im guessing the front end is gripping ok but the back is giving out before then due to the crap tyres

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
exaltos if not contact sport 3's if they do the right size, had them on a vx220t and were v.gd

if not then eagle f1's

audi a6 3.0tdi
I like eagle f1s they seem a lot more predictable than the exaltos and they are cheaper.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I'm confused. You state 'understeer city' (just lol), but then proceed to blame the previous owner for the poor grip due to the rear having Nangkangs (unless you have changed them to the front).

Sorry, but to be honest, better tyres will help, but if it is as bad as I think you are making out, then there's something else wrong. I'd personally say (here comes the wild assumption I am allowed to make because this is the interwebz) you are possibly expecting too much from the car/tyres when the roads are wet.

My 172 behaves well in the wet (the only exception is pulling away, I sometimes get a little wheel spin) even when pushing the car (by pushing, I mean considering the conditions).

Cup and R6
I'm confused. You state 'understeer city' (just lol), but then proceed to blame the previous owner for the poor grip due to the rear having Nangkangs (unless you have changed them to the front).

Sorry, but to be honest, better tyres will help, but if it is as bad as I think you are making out, then there's something else wrong. I'd personally say (here comes the wild assumption I am allowed to make because this is the interwebz) you are possibly expecting too much from the car/tyres when the roads are wet.

My 172 behaves well in the wet (the only exception is pulling away, I sometimes get a little wheel spin) even when pushing the car (by pushing, I mean considering the conditions).

yeah i exaggerated a tad with the understeer city comment :nono: its just frustrating me, im not expecting too much from it simply because i dont push it in the wet for fear of the back end coming out, i actually felt more comfortable in my old golf tdi in the wet :(

its annoying because on a particular motorway slip road that is a gentle bend, i darent go over 50 because its tried catching me out a few times going any faster, what makes it worse is that one time it tried catching me out, i was doing the same speed as a regular clio alongside me, all of a sudden the back starts to come round, hence me driving like a granny when its wet :dead:

edit - im just assuming my car is a nail, add this problem to an ever growing list, and to top that off i think the washer jet motor died today too, joy

Titanium 182
I'm on my second RS clio and I have never/super rarely (when the road has something else on it other than water) experienced lift off oversteer in the wet. Maybe I'm just not driving fast enough to make it happen but if I went any faster than I do (sometimes) and the back came out it would be stupidly dangerous !

How fast are you lot going when this happens roughly ?

Cup and R6
Get some decent rubber all round mate and see how it behaves after that.

yeah ill add it to the christmas wish list, along with about 10 other items lol, theyre number 1 priority though, dont want to end up on the roof after going 15 round a roundabout

Cup and R6
I'm on my second RS clio and I have never/super rarely (when the road has something else on it other than water) experienced lift off oversteer in the wet. Maybe I'm just not driving fast enough to make it happen but if I went any faster than I do (sometimes) and the back came out it would be stupidly dangerous !

How fast are you lot going when this happens roughly ?

last time it happened i was doing between 55-60 on a sweeping right hand bend, not tight at all but it just came out of nowhere, the car behind me must have had a giggle and thought "tosser" to himself, i was only trying to get to work :( lol

Fabia vrs tdi
thank god for traction control or whoever invented it

My only problem with every buyin a 172 cup would like one some day but would end up upside down in a field me thinks

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm fed up of saying it. Get some Hankook V12 Evo's. Cheap, grippy, all round brilliance.

Titanium 182
last time it happened i was doing between 55-60 on a sweeping right hand bend, not tight at all but it just came out of nowhere, the car behind me must have had a giggle and thought "tosser" to himself, i was only trying to get to work :( lol

So at 55-60 in the wet your car understeers on long sweeping bends ?
:S

That doesn't sound right ?!

Cup and R6
So at 55-60 in the wet your car understeers on long sweeping bends ?
:S

That doesn't sound right ?!

yup, then you back off a little and the back end comes out, its quite scary when it happens, you cant win except wrestle with the steering wheel while looking like a c**k trying to get from a to b

ill gladly let another NW member drive the car to experience the terror lol

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
yup, then you back off a little and the back end comes out, its quite scary when it happens, you cant win except wrestle with the steering wheel while looking like a c**k trying to get from a to b

Thats the trouble! Dont take your foot off the throttle mid corner lol!

Cup and R6
Thats the trouble! Dont take your foot off the throttle mid corner lol!

i have no choice, itl just search for the nearest bush/car in the next lane if i dont, its not like i whack my foot off the throttle lol, i feel a sense of achievement whenever i drive anywhere in the wet :star:

Z4
I found that my old cup stepped out a little bit on long sweeping bends too mate, admittedly not in average day to day driving, this would be when pushing it a little.

This is without any lift off too. Not exactly confidence inspiring!

I do miss the little cup though :(

Titanium 182

Mine wouldn't under steer in those conditions until much higher speeds, it would more likely over steer first unless you're proper hoofing the throttle ?

Sounds scary !

Cup and R6
Mine wouldn't under steer in those conditions until much higher speeds, it would more likely over steer first unless you're proper hoofing the throttle ?

Sounds scary !

it is, but with all the problems i have with it and it repeatedly trying to kill me, when i drive it in the dry all is forgiven, new rubber and ill report back :) fingers crossed