ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Haggling with the dealers

Well guys, this is the weekend I buy a 182. I test drove a full fat with the cup packs fitted a couple of weeks ago and loved every second of it.

I have got a test drive in a Trophy tomorrow morning, followed straight after by a spin in a regular 182. I figured this was the best way to compare the two.

Anyway, I have got the loan sorted and have checked the trade-in price on my current car in Parkers and What Car guides. I have made a few calls and checked out a ton of websites to get the best prices I can find (11.7K New full fat 182 with cup packs in silver)(13K on a Trophy).

I spent a week looking through your posts here to get a great idea of the ups and downs of owning this car, so I dont think I am going into this blind (thanks for everyones help).

So its down to the crunch this weekend.... I would appreciate any tips on getting the best price out of my local Renault dealers for both the new car and my old one..?

Any tips on haggling the price down and on the methods the sales guys will use to keep the price up would really be brilliant as I am a novice at this.

Thanks in advance

Mini Cooper S sport

Cant help you much because I bought mine second hand (you can get GREAT deals this way, have you considered that option?).

A lot of people have paid around the £12,500 mark for their full-fat 182s. The internet prices for £11.7 are normally for pre-reg or imports.

I would just say shop around, try a few dealers.

When I was looking, one dealer was trying to get me to come and look at a 2nd-hand 182 for about 12k! I told him there was no way I was paying that!

Hi RB, thanks for the feedback.

The 11.7 is for a UK car, so now worries there. Thought long and hard about getting nearly new, but for the difference in price I get to run the engine in myself and know that I am not buying someone elses white elephant. Also I am buying it as a keeper rather than just for a couple of years.

Clio 200

Id go for a trophy.
Recaro seats, speedline wheels, v6 spolier, sachs suspension, limited of 500...and the best bit you can post on the cliotrophy forum about your car :p

A red missile

Quote: Originally posted by hyby on 09 September 2005

Id go for a trophy.
Recaro seats, speedline wheels, v6 spolier, sachs suspension, limited of 500...and the best bit you can post on the cliotrophy forum about your car :p
Couldnt have put it better myself - not that im in any way biased at all :eek:

[Edited by 63/500 on 10 September 2005 at 1:34am]

oh and to actually answer your original post, when i went to the stealership they seriously tried to tell me that in 3 years itd only be worth a grand less than new - i nearly walked out at that point. Theyll give you all this sh*te about high demand and selling quickly etc.etc. but according to Renaults websh*te they still have 110 left iirc so theres plenty of haggling to be done despite what theyll tell you. They tried all kinds of crap with me going on about the limited numbers - yeah mate its still just a f**king car though The old sorry mate just cant afford it then ploy worked well for me, i was quite prepared to walk away - well thats what he thought, id decided i was having it about 2 seconds after seeing it. Bottom line, the dealers need to sell, you dont need to buy theres loads of decent cars for this type of money.

Silver 182 F/F

Try different Reno dealers,dont presume they will all quote around the same price,some are more switched on than others about what prices these car are getting knocked out for.

My local Reno dealer would only sell for retail for my 182 with full pack.So i bought one of the interenet for 12.2K and when i took it to the dealer for a repair the same salesman asked me where i got it and how much i paid,when i told him he couldnt beleive it,these guys have no idea,there trained puppys.

Dealer wouldnt budge on the price of my full fat 182 ... until I handed over a personalised quote for a uk car @ £12.4k with both cup packs and metalic. He scurried off and after Id drunk a couple of cups of coffee he came back and said they could match it so I signed there and then.

My advice, tell them what you will pay, be realistic and have written / printed quotes to back up that you are serious.

Also try the hard sell on them ... This is the car I want and this is what Ill pay but the deals only good now or Ill walk. If they wont deal, say thanks, hand over your number and politely say give me a call if you change your mind. Dont get agro.. be nice and walk.

Plenty of dealers to go at