ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had an accident in work van, do i need to inform clio insures ?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hello, i went up the back of someone in my work van, it is insured through the company, it is the policy where any of us can drive any of our vans. My van was fine, but their car needed some work and they claimed.

Do i need to inform my insures for my clio about this ?

Thanks, lee

Technically you need to inform your insurer of any incident whether its the vehicle they insure or not even if no claim is made

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
"Have you ever had any accidents, claims or convictions in the last 5 years?"

They don't ask if they happened in the car you want to insure when getting a quote do they?

It's relevant to them. They should know. You're legally obliged to tell them just the same as you are if you were to get 3 points speeding in your work's van.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

They don't ask if they happened in the car you want to insure when getting a quote do they?

It's relevant to them. They should know. You're legally obliged to tell them just the same as you are if you were to get 3 points speeding in your work's van.

Spot on.

Key words highlighted. They normally ask you that when getting a quote.
If it turns out you were involved in a claim, it will be recorded.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Spot on.

Key words highlighted. They normally ask you that when getting a quote.
If it turns out you were involved in a claim, it will be recorded.

I personally wouldn't bother.

Your works insurance will be an 'Any driver' policy so I doubt very much you will be named.

corsa ecoflex
i wrote a works van off 2 years ago,told my insurers and they said it was irrelevent as it was under a works policy and not personal policy

im not sure what the right thing to do is, but seems abit odd that when having two policies you cant share your no claims bonus, but you have to share your accidents?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
ok, still dont really know what to do, i prob wont, but if i do, when shall i do it ??

im renewing in about 3 weeks, so do i tell them on the renewal so they can give me a new total, or after, and just let them add a bit of money to the policy ?

Thanks

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Technically you should, but you're incredibly unlikely to get caught if you don't (proper 1 in a million type odds). Your call. I wouldn't :) Either way it shouldn't effect your no claims on your Clio.

If however, you were to have an accident, and ended up in court or something and it came out, your insurers might be a little unimpressed...

Dan

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If however, you were to have an accident...

...the insurers would run an automatic check against the central database that all companies exchange data on (they tell you they share information with other companies in their standard terms and conditions normally) and they'd see an accident recorded against your name that you'd not declared.

How many points do you get for no insurance? What about the liability on you if your insurers fail to pay out?

It's similar to not declaring mods...I personally wouldn't take the risk.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I agree, but the only saving grace might be that the policy wasn't in his name - there is a good chance the accident would show up against the company name.

Still, we both agree that the letter of the law says yes, you should tell them.

Dan