ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT5

Lee

BMW M2C
I have a feeling that the damage modelling does not currently alter the handling of the cars.

It looked that way. It also didn't look a lot more than a lose bumber and an open door.

I was playing GT5P earlier today. I still have a serious soft spot for it, even if I do feel they're taking the piss out of me these days.

Bumder With A Buffer
Am I the only one that noticed that when the car was going into the barrier front on that it was in fact a little way away from the barrier yet the wheels where spinning as if it was touching :S

GC 2009: Gran Turismo 5 Hands-on

We finally get some alone time with Kazunori's upcoming marvel.

by Ryan Clements

Type=count&ClientType=2&ASeg=&AMod=&AOpt=0&AdID=138919&FlightID=123505&TargetID=7873&EntityDefResetFlag=0&Segments=1,255,264,348,1931,2092,2863,3219,3494,3943,3975,3982,4170,4178,4834,4951,5015,5036,5497,5527,5638,5718,5727,5736,5792,6398,6483,6654,6666,6671,6701,7752,8587,9443,10327,10820,11071,11754,12248,14075,15996,17864,17902&Targets=17164,6743,7873,17306,7697,8610,10619,11620,21183,15112,19618&Values=25,31,43,51,60,72,83,90,100,110,150,190,225,227,235,268,465,829,1190,1404,1481,1503,1591,1818,2661,2679,2680,2721,4056,4295,4525,4799,5659,6612,6744,7813,8052,8140,9113,58071,58329,59328,59609,59895,60487&RawValues=&random=clbeneu,bfiyeoqqdbvcI

US, August 19, 2009 - This morning in Cologne, the halls of the convention center were still fairly quiet and devoid of the bumbling, sweaty masses of gaming journalists that have invaded Germany from all across the globe. With such perfect conditions, it was appropriate that one of the first games I enjoyed hands-on time with here at Gamescom was Gran Turismo 5, the next iteration of Polyphony Digital's legendary racing franchise. The setup on the show floor was actually quite impressive, as most of the Gran Turismo 5 stations came equipped with full racing chairs, force feedback wheels and some very nice screens.

It should be noted that I consider myself a very good driver... in real life. However, I must admit that I'm not a Gran Turismo expert. Our very own Chris Roper (Editor-in-Chief of the IGN PlayStation Team) is the biggest Gran Turismo fan in the office, but he's not in Cologne right now, so you'll have to do with my JRPG-loving antics.

As this was one of my first experiences with a force feedback wheel, I must say that Gran Turismo 5 uses the peripheral extremely well. The driving experience is once again recreated brilliantly here and that's something any gamer can appreciate. Driving a blue Subaru (the model/year wasn't explicitly stated -- or it was in German) down a pleasant track lined with trees, I was treated to my first look at the Gran Turismo damage models. Yes, damage models were in use on the show floor here in Cologne and they already look fantastic. I will admit that I expected a more significant impact when I rammed my poor Subaru straight into a wall, but who am I to complain?

The aforementioned impact caused the front bumper to dislodge from the car, though it still hung for dear life. Furthermore, both doors were forced open and flapped about as I frantically skidded down the road. Fortunately, I didn't have to worry about shifting gears, as the demo seemed to be locked in on the automatic setting.

As if I wasn't having enough trouble keeping up with the competition under normal circumstances, I received a call from our UK team's own Matt Wales while I drove. This talking and driving caused a severe accident, which just goes to show you that you should not talk on your cell phone while you drive, unless you have a hands-free headset.

All kidding aside, Gran Turismo 5 feels real -- that's all there is to it. As I'm not a seasoned veteran of the franchise, I can't speak to the intricacies of the experience, but what I can confirm is that the game runs beautifully and the controls feel as pristine as ever. I was lucky enough to speak to Kazunori Yamauchi following my hands-on time and confirm a few bits of information that GT fans might be curious about. First: Kazunori was still unwilling to give a solid release date for Gran Turismo 5. Although, Kazunori explained, as Gran Turismo PSP is right around the corner, its upcoming PS3 counterpart shouldn't be too far away. That sounds like "sooner rather than later" to me.

The next detail Kazunori touched on was regarding damage models. I can confirm that not every car in Gran Turismo 5 will sport damage models -- it will only be select sets. However, Kazunori has yet to decide on a finalized list of featured car types for damage support.

Lastly, it sounds like Porsche will not make it into Gran Turismo 5. As disappointing as this was for Kazunori, Porsche signed an exclusive arrangement elsewhere and will probably not be included. It looks like Porsche fans will have to wait.

That's all from Cologne. Keep your eyes peeled for more GT goodness in the near future.

Think I've sussed out why the scoob keeps crashing. It's on gravel/dirt suspension, wheels and tyres rather than tarmac spec, lol

Looks highly impressive, have heard 170 damagable car models inc interior damage - currently unheard of! The Ps3 eye tracking also sounds cool.

Whatever your opinion on GT, it is exciting times ahead with FM3 and GT5 and at £32 each from shopto both will be bought!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
that damage looks w**k tbh

i want car rolling bits flying off etc.

It does look terrible. Made worse by the fact that only some cars will 'suffer' from it.

Seriously. There is no reason to buy this game over FM3. It will have the same horrid controls of GT5p, with the addition of some half assed damage on some cars. Seriously. Anyone who buys it, and complains about it, should be banned.

No way am I lining the pockets of people of who spend a hundred years making a driving game that makes no actual effort to emulate driving. End.

If anyone catches me talking about owning this game, I'll hack this site, ban my own s**t, and then unhack it whilst still banned. Then ban everyone else.

172//Crap Micra//Bus
It does look terrible. Made worse by the fact that only some cars will 'suffer' from it.

Seriously. There is no reason to buy this game over FM3. It will have the same horrid controls of GT5p, with the addition of some half assed damage on some cars. Seriously. Anyone who buys it, and complains about it, should be banned.

No way am I lining the pockets of people of who spend a hundred years making a driving game that makes no actual effort to emulate driving. End.

If anyone catches me talking about owning this game, I'll hack this site, ban my own s**t, and then unhack it whilst still banned. Then ban everyone else.

^^^ What he said!! PMSL.

Last edited:

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

PMSL.

That's some gospel, right there.

Agreed.

Seriously disappointing from PD. Not good news for GT5!

Octy VRS
All I'm hoping is the fact it's been delayed so long is to sort it out properly. They will have devs playing the s**t out of FM2 and hopefully journo stints of FM3. You've got to admit that they could pull something serious out of the Jap hat.

Maybe wishful thinking but it could be a valid point. I'm looking forward to FM3 though.

Fail post tbh!

Half assed damage? Like when was interior damage modelling half assed? No other games do it!!

Given you haven't even played this yet you are making nowt but assumptions and poor ones at that.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
looks good to me if i want realisum ill go for a drive in my 2005 renault clio 1.2 16v dynamique lol seeing as i cant earn enough for a propper car it will do me a games a game at the end of the day why you'd want to swop real drivin for a simulator i dont know. you lot take this gaming malark to a whole new level

I don't really know what interior damage modelling will add to the experience. An experience that's nothing like driving in the first place.

Fail post tbh!

Half assed damage? Like when was interior damage modelling half assed? No other games do it!!

Given you haven't even played this yet you are making nowt but assumptions and poor ones at that.

You fail. I said anyone who buys it and then complains about it. If you want to buy it, then fine. I'm talking about the people who will 'buy it anyway' because it's GT.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'll end up buying it. Bought an xbox just for fm2. Was initially very impressed, but got bored very quickly.

4:08 onwards watch the AI in that red Lancer PMSL loads of room to go round but nope it does what GT AI does best and sticks on its predetermined route and collects the two stationary cars.

4:08 onwards watch the AI in that red Lancer PMSL loads of room to go round but nope it does what GT AI does best and sticks on its predetermined route and collects the two stationary cars.

That does look seriously, seriously bad. Bumper cars being driven blindfolded. Really really really really. REALLY. Bad :( I liked the way there was lots of damage and debris from that multiple pileup. So realistic. Roffles.

tbh most of the time even a car length or so behind the AI on Forza will manage to avoid hitting you or at very least show an attempt to go round you.

Eurogamer.
Conspicuously absent from the Sony press conference, Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 5 appeared on the show floor in a specially prepared demo build that showcased the game's damage model for the first time.

The demo itself gives you an HD version of an old track – Toyko R246 – and a Subaru Impreza WRC rally car to drive, and initial impressions are that the core technology that powers GT5 hasn't been that much improved over what we've seen in the Prologue. It's still 60FPS, with a 30FPS replay mode, and the level of tearing is again approximate with what we're used to in the existing GT5 preview.

The damage model itself is an obviously welcome addition, but somewhat limited. There is no actual deformation of the cars taking place – body panels remain totally pristine. Instead the Sabura is outfitted with a number of removable parts: front and rear bumpers, doors, the bonnet – these are the elements of the vehicle that work loose then fly away leaving just the barebones of the car. In this sense it is somewhat "last gen", very similar to Burnout 3 if you're looking for a direct comparison.
Some off-screen replay action from the gamescom GT5 demo, showing off the damage model.View this video in HD

It also means that smaller collisions, such as side-swiping scenery or other cars, leave your motor completely unscathed with no scratches to the paintwork or any kind of subtle indication that your vehicle has seen "action". It wasn't until I saw a flapping driver's side door in-game that I realised that the technology behind the demo build had progressed at all from Prologue. Right now there's no debris, no impact damage, and no breaking glass. Combined, this says to me that the implementation is on its early stages.

Another telltale sign is that it appears that your car is the only one to sustain damage. On the plus side, the consequences of a shunt aren't only graphical – the car's usual top speed of around 200kph on this circuit dropped down to a pathetic 115kph after a series of impacts, but even here, there was no indication that location-centred damage causes any specific effects.

So, in all, an interesting demo, but far too little was shown to allow for any kind of feeling on just how much more advanced the final game will be and as such, it was probably a wise decision not to include this in the original press conference.

By contrast, the PSP version of Gran Turismo, running alongside the monster-sized PS3 pods, was nothing short of glorious – looking and feeling similar to GT4 on PS2. Just one track in this one, but it was one that counts: the legendary Nurburgring. I had the chance to take it on with two wildly different cars: an almost uncontrollably fast Audi A8 Race Car, and at the bottom end of the scale, a Peugeot 206 (!). Impressions here are hugely positive. It's locked at 60FPS (both in-game and in the replays) and while there has clearly been a drop in resolution and texture detail (not to mention a reduction from six track cars to four), the fact is that finally Polyphony Digital is making good on its promises of bringing a credible Gran Turismo to the handheld.

The only negative element in the demo was actually nothing to do with Polyphony's code at all. Sony is choosing to demo the game on the PSP-3000 (actually the first time I've used one) and the interlacing/scan line issue is very problematic. On fast action, particularly panning, it definitely looks like the 480x136 resolution you would expect from interlacing the native 480x272 display. Play it on a non-3000 model though and all will be well. Great stuff.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
recon you can turn the lame damage off, i hope so because in my view either damage or dont bother

Wonder how accurate this is...
Gran Turismo 5 To Release “Shortly” After GT PSP

August 22nd, 2009 by Jordan
GranTurismo5_PS3_Edit003-small.jpg
In a video interview with French gaming site GameBlog.fr, Kazunori Yamauchihinted at Gran Turismo 5’s release date with the following statement (thanks to reece22345 for the translation!):
“I really understand that lots of people are interested in GT5, and we will do everything we can so that the game is released quickly. But we are focusing our priorities and Gran Turismo will come out on the PSP the 1st of october first. The only thing I want to tell you today, is that GT5 will be released shortly after this date.
Yamauchi’s statements fall in line with what GTPlanet has learned previously, making a 2009 release date even more certain than it already was. He also hinted at why he is often so secretive in his interviews, adding that he ““rarely wants to talk about the future” and “”likes to be precise, and he’s not happy talking about stuff that isn’t concrete and ready”. When the whole world (or would that be…’Planet?) painstakenly examines and archives your every word, it would give anyone extra pause before opening their mouth.
The GameBlog crew must have also picked Yamauchi’s pockets, because they managed, somehow, to get hold of these screenshots. You may remember seeing them before – we originally posted them here in the highest resolution that was available from Polyphony Digital’s own website (they were taken offline shortly thereafter). GameBlog, however, got some copies that were considerably larger in size. Hmmm…
#gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; }

Bro got an e-mail the other day saying his pre-order had been put back to December now, well that's a surprise ain't it, lol.

Worldwide Release for Gran Turismo 5 “Probably”

August 31st, 2009 by Jordan
yamauchi-interview-multiplayerit.jpg
In his latest interview with Italian gaming site MultiPlayer.it, Kazunori Yamauchi doesn’t shy away from nearly confirming a “simultaneous world release” for Gran Turismo 5. A worldwide release has been widely rumored after our own Amar212 first hinted at the fact way back in April, and it is looking more and more certain with each passing day. Yamauchi was also asked about Gran Turismo 5 feature list, which GTPlanet managed to grab before it was quickly pulled from Polyphony Digital’s website. Although he comes short of explaining why it was posted, he confirms the information is true. Yamauchi goes on to discuss how the new damage feature will affect a car’s handling characteristics, and goes on to say there will be “real NASCAR races.” Finally, Yamauchi retierates that the game will run at in full 1080p resolution at 60 frames-per-second.
Although there is no official English transcript for the interview, we can thank our own RoadRunner99 for offering the following translation of the most important questions:
MultiPlayer: GT5 Release?
KY: ”The game is still under development but its release is not too far, it will be after the PSP GT release and, very probably, it will be a simultaneous world release”
MultiPlayer:What about the game features that were published on the official japanese site, 1000 cars, 80
tracks and YouTube download?
KY: ”We would like to wait to publish them, but what you read on the site is true.”
MultiPlayer: Is there something new in the single player mode
KY: ”If you look at the PSP version, you’ll see that the game is very different from the previous Gran Turismo versions. The 5th episode will have many similar features to the PSP version”
MultiPlayer: How the damages will influence the gameplay?
KY: ”The damages are not only visible, they will affect the driving style.
It depends on the player, some players will like it, others will not”
MultiPlayer: Will we have Nascar and WRC championships in the game or just the cars?KY: ”There will be real Nascar races
in the game. Nascar had necessary to be included
in the game. Regarding WRC championship we have been trying to add it to series since long ago. Now we got it.”
At the end KY confirmed 1080p and 60 fps.

Gran Turismo 5 “Major Advancement” Coming at TGS

September 3rd, 2009 by Jordan
Kazunori-Yamauchi-gamescom.jpg
Mere seconds after the throngs of GT fans gobbled up the news off the GamesCom show floor, eyes began to turn to the upcoming Tokyo Game Show for the next flood of Gran Turismo 5 info from Polyphony Digital. Today, we can tell you that excitement is not misplaced, as Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed a “major advancement” is coming to the show later this month. From his latest interview with G4TV:
G4: What are your plans for Tokyo Game Show?
Yamauchi: At E3, we showed a concept video and this time at Games-Com, we have a playable demo with damage, and I think you can expect a similar major advancement at TGS.
The full interview is definitely worth the read, though the interviewer seems pretty hung up on GT PSP’s development time. Mark your calendars – TGS begins September 24 – and we’ll have full coverage of everything GT at the show, right here on GTPlanet.
Thanks to Alexandre for the heads-up!

FFS just press it already. It's taking so long to get this gold, one has to wonder how it's being funded. They must be hemorrhaging money.

It's quite amusing on GT forums. They've had threads about Forza 3 closed because of numerous warnings that fanboy bashing and arguing werent taken heed of. And as they have no information on GT5 the threads on that either go round in circles or wander off on random discussions about how many cars they think there are going to be based on numbers for the PSP.

I can't see cash being a major issue given the volume of the previous titles sold that said it's never good to have a sustained period with little cash coming in. Call me cynical but I'd guess part of the motive for GT5p may have been to keep a trickle coming in while they faffed about over the full title. I'd imagine Sony are going bats**t though, they must know how much hardware the GT franchise shifts globally so the longer the delay the less PS3's they are firing out the door.

The guy should be a politician

G4: Are we finally going to find out a release date?

Yamauchi: I think we actually talked about having some thoughts in the beginning, but with things changing as they happened all through the interviews today and I’ve kind of have learned through experience. I try not to talk about the future too much because that ultimately leads to a more obvious answer and it’s better than way in the end.

I'd love to know whats going on behind closed doors as I don't see what they gain by not putting out a date.