ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT or Glanza V?

I know this is a clio forum!

But I was wondering what the majority of people on here prefer, either from experience, looks, reviews etc.

As I am moving to NZ in a couple months, searched on here and on toyota forums and they are quite nippy, and can keep up with a clio when tuned, and are massively cheaper than clio's in NZ.

Obviously the people on here are epic, so I plan to keep my progress and stuff on here. :)

I'm having trouble deciding on which I prefer. I'm guessing they have the same engine, the GT is supposedly lighter so faster, and the glanza rear end is terrible IMO.

If you don't already know, here's some pics of the Starlet's:

GT:

toyota-starlet-gt-limited-02.jpg

30657_151338.jpg

24609_93129.jpg

Glanza V:

2012_05_18_18_17_43.jpg

image1_400.jpg

_MG_2132.jpg

_MG_2196.jpg

EDIT: Just realised most of the pics I got are of white cars FLOL nevermind, you get the idea.

Tangoed Works
Totally see the appeal of these but they are a bit of a death trap. No so much the driver but other tossers on the road that could finish you off in one of these.

still I have a soft spot for mini jap hatches. Wish I scratched the gtir itch as well.

Jap Box
Glanza over the choice! How cheap are civics over there etc? Not sure how the insurance works out there either but assume its cheaper?

ive had 5 gts one glanza give me a gt any day , con rods are much stronger ive mapped loads of stock engines with larger turbos to 260+ with no problems :cool:
a few pixs for u lol all cars ive own and some ive built and tuned along with my own plug in ecu kit i made up with a haltech sprint 500 , i love these wee cars and ive seen over 400hp out of them , the engine on the stand with the huge turbo is one im building atm 1.5l forged head work gt2876r with gt30 front wheel hks f con pro v gold ctr coil on plug set up
starlet 1.jpg
starlet 2.jpg
starlet 4.jpg
starlet5.jpg
starlet 6.jpg
starlet 5.jpg
engine 2.jpg
engine 3.jpg
starlet 3.jpg
starlet ecu.jpg
dyno mark.jpg
dyno spud.jpg
eninge 1.jpg
mark old.jpg

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Theres a 300odd bhp GTi-R down the road from me... Mental thing!

400hp out of a 1.3 you fo'real? o_O
it was a 1.5 that one mate lol 1.7 bar boost 109 ron fuel and some gas :) dyno graph is there in the pixs u can see before and after nos
small clip of my old gt i build only 1bar of boost on a td04 but alot of engine work cams etc she was some fun lol keep in mind there was 3 big lads in it too lol

i also tuned this wee car still only a 1.3 td04 turbo and some gas tho its 4x4

Last edited by a moderator:
Glanza for me purely on looks.

Just remember you will die in one if you crash above 5mph, they're made out of cheese.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Would have to be a glanza for me. My 230 bhp one was silly. I'd love a td04 one..

Also a glanza is made no worse than a Clio...

330i. E30 Touring.
You're going to NZ and want a Micra, a Starlet or a Clio?

Man up. It's V8 time surely?!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
You're going to NZ and want a Micra, a Starlet or a Clio?

Man up. It's V8 time surely?!

This. It's Ute time my friend :)

If you must, then Glanza. I had a play with a tuned one and it had plenty of shove on the straights. Lost out to the clio on some of the corners though. NZ have it so right on 3rd Party being covered under tax. I would rather pay more tax and know everyone on the road is covered 3rd party over here. Also means insurance companies need to compete more to persuade you to go fully comp. But that's slightly off topic.

MR2 Mk1.5
GT for over the V but personally I'd be looking for an AW11 over in NZ, easy enough to find.. you should be able to find a JDM Supercharger

Ollie

Ph2 172
You want an SS commodore or an xr6 turbo. Stupidly cheap and ridiculously easy to extract power from.

GSXR + KDX220
Went out in my mates Glanza last night, feels pretty quick! She says its running 210bhp with a printout from the previous owner but from around 40 to 110 leptons my 172 was hanging onto the back well which surprised me!

I imagine a genuine 210bhp would leave me easily at most speeds, seeing as they are a bit lighter too!

Nice looking motor though IMO, I dont see why everyone thinks the rear end is so horrible! (although a little Micra-esque)

MR2 Mk1.5
Went out in my mates Glanza last night, feels pretty quick! She says its running 210bhp with a printout from the previous owner but from around 40 to 110 leptons my 172 was hanging onto the back well which surprised me!

I imagine a genuine 210bhp would leave me easily at most speeds, seeing as they are a bit lighter too!

Nice looking motor though IMO, I dont see why everyone thinks the rear end is so horrible! (although a little Micra-esque)

With a genuine 210 BHP and a someone who knows who to drive a car, you'd be a small spec in the mirror.

107 Track Car & C4
I'd personally go for the Glanza. My mate used to have a GT that was running around 350bhp, not sure what he had done to it, but he had spent thousands.

A friend of mine has one with a 3sgte init, its very very fast.
I've had a gt and a glanza and personally i dont like them, they dont handle at all.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Always had a soft spot for the Starlet GT Turbos, so I'd pick that. They just look so retro and jap. Whereas the Glanza....

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
I use to own a Glanza V, from the front looked okay the rear looked like a micra also the interior was terrible but yes quick mine was only about 150-160bhp but would still keep with a scooby easy enough.

My friend owns a GT just had it back with a forged engine running a TD04 its current output is 270bhp. Going to be a weapon!
Other friend had a GT running 210bhp and that would easily disappear into the distance with me in my clio172.

Megane r26
I prefer the gt tbh, the glanza v looks great from the front but like a typical take away delivery from the rear ;)

As said though I'd be going v8 personally haha