ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding noise and belt screech.

'12 Clio 1.2 TomTom
Hi guys,

If any of you have seen my other threads on here or renaultforums.co.uk you'll see that I've had many problems with my 2012 Clio 1.2 TomTom.

For a few months I've had a weird grinding noise coming from the engine when being driving, (under load I think it's called by mechanics etc?) Anyway, in gear and pulling off, there's a weird grinding noise coming from the engine. More noticeably when it's cold. Out of gear, car still in motion, and building of revs has no sound. So it's definitely 'under load', if that's the right term.

The garage I took it to spent a week soundproofing the engine bay - by which I mean putting foam in between the washer bottle filler neck and the plastic trim to which it attaches. And some more foam elsewhere. Which honestly, did nothing. They then said this grinding noise is a characteristic of the car, and is nothing to worry about.

I've also started noticing that the first morning start grinding noise is now accompanied by a belt screech, which I've been told could probably be the alternator belt?

The car has done just over 9k miles, but this noise has been happening for about 3k miles I would say.

Anyone had any experience with this, or have any tips/fixes?

edit; it is more prominent when cold, but is definitely still there when the car has warmed up.

'12 Clio 1.2 TomTom
Its a 2012 car, i'd be taking it straight back to Renault...

It's been back to Renault for;
-Aircon (not fixed)
-Loose doorcards (fixed)
-Starting issue (not fixed)

Then went to a different Renault for;
-Aircon (not fixed)

Then went to Holdcroft Renault for;
-Aircon (fixed)
-Knocking noise coming from engine (fixed, poor workmanship from previous trip to Renault)
-Starting issue
- supposedly fixed by software update and new spark plugs (hasn't 100% fixed it, and apparently spark plugs needed changing because they were wrong from factory?)
-They also found a misfire in one of the cylinders
-Grinding noise (not fixed, put down to characteristic of car)

And much much more I can't 100% remember about. If there is any advice I can get off here, I want to take with me to Renault because at the moment Holdcroft are saying nothing's wrong with it, but it's certainly not right.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Snip the cambelt and demand for a full refund. Also, s**t in the glove box, maybe nip it half way through and finish in the spare wheel well.

'12 Clio 1.2 TomTom
Take it straight back to Renault

I suppose I'll have to. I'm just fed up of it. I've been through two complaints procedures with Renault UK. If I knew what was wrong with it, and if there was any way I could mitigate it then I'd do that, then take it back to Renault like LOOK ITS NOT HARD.

Snip the cambelt and demand for a full refund. Also, s**t in the glove box, maybe nip it half way through and finish in the spare wheel well.

Hahah, and then when it all falls through because I've voided the warranty I'm left with poo all over my car. Lovely!

'12 Clio 1.2 TomTom
Contact RUK if you are not happy with the way it is being dealt with

I have many times. I've been through three different Complaints Managers. They don't seem to care really. Nothing gets done, I don't get compensated for my wasted time. I suppose one last time won't hurt.