ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got myself a 172 Cup

Had an interesting day today, 45 miles in my 03 1.2 Dynamique (which I always felt was quite nippy) down to look at a 172. Dealer gave me the keys and me and my other half went for 15 mile test drive, terrifying yet utterly superb!

Put me foot down a bit lighter than I normally do and the thing still went off like a bloody skateboard attached to a rocket. Got used to it pretty quickly though and fell in love with it. Anyways, I bought it there and then, never really any doubt. Funny thing was when I got back in my 1.2 to drive home (collecting the 172 next week) I couldnt understand why the red handbrake light wasnt on as I seriously thought it must have still been on.

Wonderful car though, looking forward to collecting it. Its a 53 plate with 8000 miles on the clock, immaculate condition and a private CUP numberplate thrown in, not bad for £8,395 considering all the others within 60 miles of me are for the most part at least £1000 more, a year older and with considerably higher mileage.

Just need to order myself a ClioSport sticker now and Im sorted. Ive been buzzing all day, been waiting to own a RenaultSport for years (only ever owned Clios, this is my 3rd) and the experience was well worth the wait.

Quote: Originally posted by maxiclio on 08 May 2005

What a mistake. They r bags of piss
have you said anything helpfull since joining maxi??

some of your best quotes are :-

"i wouldnt pay 10p for it. what a pile of sh*t!!!"

"welcome, but why choose a gay chump car?"

"use an elecric sander to sand it off. the coarser the paper u use the better"

Did you not get any love as a child maxi:p

Great purchase. owned mine for 2 years from new( previously owned mazda RX7 mkII, ford puma, calibra 16v, MR2, MX5, astra GTE and more...) pound for pound the most exhilerating car on the road today.ENJOY!!!

I was suprised to see there was space for a spare wheel, I was under the impression the exhaust system was in the way as well as the fact that it was a weight saving thing.

Has anyone actually had to use the foam before? Just interested in how it works.

An orange one

superb i did the same a month ago..mines a 2004 with 7600 miles and i paid £9400 and its simply the most awesome fun, heres a tip, drive it fast and hard everywhere they love it!

oh..and...enjoy roundabouts!

On my test drive the first thing amazed me was going from a 50mph zone to a NSL dual carriageway, 50-70 in 5th takes about 3 days in my 1.2 but the 172 just flew.

I was happy enough on my journey out but when heading back to the dealer I decided to try the whole rev range a bit, dropped a gear and a whole other world opened up. I thought it was quick at low revs but when pushing it the thing is just shocking, Im sure I felt a noticeable surge at around 5000rpm, Im assuming this is normal?!

Yeah thats normal ad mine almost a year now still loveing it, the foams ok make sure if you use it and take you tire to get repaired that they repair it and not try and parm you of saying they cant repair it when you put that foam in like kwick fit did the 1st time I went there:p

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Quote: Originally posted by ukaskew on 08 May 2005

Had an interesting day today, 45 miles in my 03 1.2 Dynamique (which I always felt was quite nippy) down to look at a 172. Dealer gave me the keys and me and my other half went for 15 mile test drive, terrifying yet utterly superb!

It does make me smile when people describe 1.2s as nippy. No such thing as nippy. Its either slow, medium or fast. I think nippy is just it feels like youre going faster than you are.

I drove my sisters 1.2 Dynamique and it felt really slow and back then all I had was a 1.4 RT.

If all certain people have ever owned is a 1.2, I can understand why they feel it may be nippy but step into a hot hatch and youll soon work out what nippy is.

I took my VTS for a test drive and it blew me away how quick it is. First gear is ridiculous how fast it red lines. Second gear too.

Not having a go at you. Just some people think their smaller engines cars arent that far behind the sport models. I regularly see threads where my RT can just about keep up with a valver etc. Once youve driven a proper hot hatch it does open your eyes.

Enjoy.

well done mate iv had mine for 7-8months an is great! it just wants you to spend money on it!! as there is lots of things to do to make it just that little bit different! enjoy just dont let the "wet" catch you out with no ABS please!

Compared to most other 1.2s on the market the 1.2 16V in newer Clios does seem to have more ooomph to it, its a great engine. Compared to my original 1.2 (N reg) its a different class, certainly got no worries overtaking or anything like I did have in the old one. At lower speeds on tight twisty roads the set up of the Dynamique is actually extremely good.

But yes I certainly see what you are saying, once youve driven a hot hatch the difference is unbelievable.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Yeah dont get me wrong. For what they are they pretty good. Certainly more responsive, economical and refined than older 1.2 engines.

Its just around my area there are loads of tarted up 1.2 Clios, Puntos etc being driven around as if they are rockets. Thrashing them to within and inch of their life.

They see my VTS and think they can try it on. Depending on my mood, Ill show them what its all about.

mk2 172

Having owned a 172 for the last 4months, id warn you to beware of torque steer and avoid harsh acceleration round bends and roundabouts (especially in the wet).

Apart from that youve got a cracking deal, the most exciting and enjoyable hot hatch. AND more importantly something that will spank most cars at the lights and on twisty roads!! happy motoring

I work at a 16-18 College so imagine the crap I see getting driven round everyday by people who think they own the road!

Thats my main concern actually, driving a mint 172 with private plate to work every day is going to be a bloody nightmare, going to have to get in early every day to make sure I get a space in the staff car park outside my office window, at least I can keep an eye on it then! Most staff are fairly old so this is by far going to be the "hottest" car in the students eyes, Im not sure if thats good or bad to be honest!

class choice mate i got a 172 and havent looked back infact thinkin im gonna stick with clios for a while maybe v6 soon hehehe only dont see them about anywhere to drool