ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus One

Well, my Google Nexus One turned up today.

All I can say is WOW!

This thing is FAST! Even on a crappy connection. Messing around with it in the office where it switches from 3g to 2g to 2.5g and back and forth all the time it seems to fly.

The app store is a breeze on it. Hit the button, slect the app, hit install, it downloads in the background.

The screen is phenominal. It smashed an iPhone screen right out of the park.

Connected stright to works Activesync with no issues, and to works WiFi (which is uncommon for a mobile device due to it using some screwed up PEAP implimentation).

Only messed about with it for the moment, but I can't put it down. :cool:

Also, pointless, but cool, if you do a :) smiley in a text, it converts it to a little smiling android grapic :)

Sweet! Whats the build quality like? Also whats the back made out of and you reckon its more scratch resistent than the iphone (not that its very hard!).

182FF with cup packs
Build quality is really nice. It feels very solid, and slightly cool to the touch.

The back is made of plastic, but has some weird coating on it that makes it feel a bit like graphite, we'll see how it stands upto scratches.

It comes with a neoprene pouch with the Android logo on it.

The screen is a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but then touch screens tend to be.

The camera is pretty good quality (5mp), and takes nice video.

Google voice is a bit hit and miss, but i assume it will get better over time. (Google voice is the voice recognition for typing, apparantly all the processing is done in the "cloud". If it gets it right, it's perfect, if it gets it wrong, it's way off base.

The first annoyance I have found is that Android itself doesn't support http proxies :S which is fairly annoying meaning that while i can connact to the WiFi at work, I can't actually get out to the net :mad:.

I'm looking at the Cyranomod at the moment which is a different version of the OS which has a whole bunch of extra features hacked in.

Somee interesting apps out there as well. Found a nice network scanner, an ssh client.

the facebook app is pretty good as it has a couple of options for contacts, you can either sync all of your facebook friends to your contacts list. Only those with phone numbers, or the best option of the lot, sync only the details of people that are already in your contacts list, so anyone in there on your facebook list gets their pictures and e-mails and anything else filled in (and birthdays)

beebPlayer is way cool. It's a hacked up BBC iPlayer client that allows you to stream over 3g if you aren't on 3 or ?Vodaphone?. You can stream all the BBC channels to your phone, or watch anything on catchup. Or listen to the radio.

Google goggles is weird, it allows you to do an image search, as in you take a picture of something and it will search for similar things. For a test I took a pic of a Bic Whiteboard Marker, and it actually did a search for whiteboard markers and Bic. Bit of a gimic, but might be cool.

The interface port is micro-usb, so as an added bonus I can re-use the usb cable from my Nokia E71. The charger that comes with it, even though it is a US 2 pin, has an input voltage range of 100-240V, so you don't actually need to shell out the extra for the UK charger if you don't want, if you buy the desktop dock this comes with a charger as well (US), but I found that tesco have fused 2 pin adaptors for 94p, so I bought a bunch of them, so now I have 3 working chargers, and in theory, you should be able to use any micru-usb charger to charge it (as long as it's 5v).

The screen though. Oh my god it's fantastic. I found out, while playing last nigght, that I only had it on medium brightness, on maximum brightness it almost hurts to look at the screen.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Last edited:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Reeaaaalllly. very good news, makes you wonder why they didn't wait and release the phone with multitouch already on there.

182FF with cup packs
New firmware has been released for the N1 and adds full multitouch capabilities. It is to be broadcast over the air in the US during this week, no announcement for the UK but following the instructions below would allow you to get the update now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/nexus-one-gets-a-software-update-enables-multitouch/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/02/nexus-ones-big-update-can-be-had-without-the-wait/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=627411

sweet, thanks, I read about that last night and wondered how long it would be before I could install it.

182FF with cup packs
Exactly - £599 from play, or £410 (or whatever it is) from Google...

Even after VAT and adding the desktop dock and the UK charger it didn't come to £599!

Though I haven't got the VAT bill yet from DHL, it should come to £471 with everything.

£599 is a total rip off.

Fiat Bravo Active TJet
That's what I thought - more interested in the date that's on it though, tbh.

Surprised that nothings been announced by Voda though if that's the real date, seeing as it's only a week from now.

182FF with cup packs
Finally got my VAT/import invoice today for £66

So the total cost for my Nexus one, direct from Google, along with the desktop dock and the UK charger cost me a grand total of £466.

Nearly got away with not paying the VAT invoice myself. I got my phone delivered to work, so in their wisdom, DHL tried to invoice work, so the invoice got delivered direct to account who just phoned my up asking "have you been buying stuff without a purchase order?"

Citroen DS3 DSport
That's not a bad price, the HTC Desire is going to be £400-£450 sim free in the UK and is basically the same handset but with the trackball replaced with a optical sensor.

Last edited:
  BMW 330ci Clubsport
Sure it is. In each case, the Apple product is superior.
All a matter of opinion. Or in fact its more about the user. If you break things easily then you should use MacOSX. If you like to do things quickly and like compatibility then you use Windows

I haven't actually found a use for the trackball yet other than it glowing when you get an alert.
Does the N1 have a stylus? If not then the trackball will be very useful for trying to click on text links in the browser

182FF with cup packs
Does the N1 have a stylus? If not then the trackball will be very useful for trying to click on text links in the browser

No need for a stylus. You want to click on something small, pinch to zoom and make it bigger.

Also, as it's a capacitive touchscreen, sylus do not work.

182FF with cup packs
If you don't have need for a car or desktop docking station or tri-band comms, then just get yourself an HTC Desire. (the Nexus has 3 metal contacts on the bottom of the shell for connection to these docks, the HTC only have the micro USB)

The HTC Sense UI is even better than vanilla Android 2.1, so much so that I run it on my Nexus One.

Oh, the HTC also comes with the FM radio enabled, the chip exists in the Nexus but isn't enabled (though interestingly, in the Nexus at least, the chip is also capable of transmitting as well, so in theory you can use it to transmit to a car stereo if you wanted if you find/create the right drivers and software).

If you just want a smartphone that will do virtually everything you want out of the box, get a Desire, if you want to mess about with custom ROMs or anything else like that, get yourself a Nexus.

edit: The Nexus also has a second mic as it has inbuilt noise cancellation, so it'll be a better phone for noisy environments.

Moonlight Blue 225
I got one yesterday, so awsome, the phone is f***ing fast, so easy to use and on some good tariffs. The voice activated search is really good, picks up your voice really cearly.

overall 10/10 for the phone, i personally wouldnt change a thing on it, if your thinking about getting one do it, you wont regret it.

Actually prefer the look of the nexus, like the colour more and the slightly different chin.

Free on 18month contract if you dont mind spending £40 a month.

Moonlight Blue 225
Actually prefer the look of the nexus, like the colour more and the slightly different chin.

Free on 18month contract if you dont mind spending £40 a month.

i got mine on sat, the phone is absolutly awsome and looks really really nice, well worth the £35 a month price tag.

Moonlight Blue 225
Im having problems with my phone, say when i go to touch the facebook app it will do something different and open something else. I have just took it off the insurance about 3 days ago :dapprove:, does anybody know how to fix this?