ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 5

182 Trophy #333
Wow, didnt realise the official one was that cheap!

Bought! Thanks

Its a bargain but Google seem to think like £11 for delivery is fair, wanted to order it with my N5 but it was out of stock and couldn't resist, I love the magnetic alignment on it!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Much better than my desire HD...although it wouldn't be hard!

ee419beb57986a7e242f56c8d7c87cdf.jpg

f581878b923bae33c085b337d689ece6.jpg

to be fair though, I'm don't use it for anything else than texting/whatsapp and the odd call. No gaming and very little web browsing. Having said that, with the same usage my desire would of been dead by 4pm at the latest.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice.
Mine went s**t yesterday morning. I got 9 hours battery out of it with little use but there was something wrong with my exchange services. A window kept coming up with "Exchange services is not responding". I played around with the settings and it back to normal now.
Fairly heavy use and it's on 31% after 14 hours on.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Still on the N4, the N5 didn't really bring anything to the table for me from the N4 so I didn't see the point in changing...if I'd been on something else it'd have been a different story.

The wife was still on her iPhone 4, I tried convincing her to get an N5 but she just said "Your phone is too big" despite her saying her screen was too small.

At the weekend we went into a phone shop and within 2 seconds she'd picked up (I s**t you not) a Galaxy Note 3 and declared that she wanted it! So my phone was too big......

We ended up getting one through her company reward scheme on Voda and I have to say the phone is immense, if you ignore some of the Touchwiz crap which for the most part can be replaced with other stuff, the battery life is awesome (as you'd expect). It's not nearly as big as you think it'd be either.

Now I'm the one with the tiny screen!

Best compromise i have found is a lg g2 ..... n5 but with an awesome battery and if you think about it the screen isnt much smaller

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I need to buy one. Just being to stingy and still on my N4. Its looking worse for wear now though..lol

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
just picked one up from carphone warehouse for £240, great phone for the price :)

Yeah I saw theyre selling the 16gb for £240. Bargain. Apparently the Nexus 6 isn't far away..

I'm waiting to see what the Samsung S5 is about and then might order a N5 depending of what Samsung offer.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well I buckled and ordered a N5..I don't care how good the S5 is when this is £240..lol

1.8 Civic EX
For £240 its a great piece of kit. I paid £330 for my 32gb one straight from Google. Had it since Nov and I still keep picking up and "enjoy" using it. The iphone before had just started to get a bit boring after a month or so.

I'm thinking about getting a "skin" for it from here: http://www.slickwraps.com/Google-Nexus-5-Wraps-Skins-s/728.htm. As I've got a white phone I may go for just the sides of the Blue Glow Skin, think that'll look quite neat. Either that or one of the wood effect ones.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Is anyone having problems with the wireless on the N5? I have a N4 and I have to keep my wireless turned off. Twitter won't update and Whatsapp only sometimes sends and receives messages. This seems to be a common problem and I've read that it could possibly be the same on the N5?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Is anyone having problems with the wireless on the N5? I have a N4 and I have to keep my wireless turned off. Twitter won't update and Whatsapp only sometimes sends and receives messages. This seems to be a common problem and I've read that it could possibly be the same on the N5?

No probs with mine mate

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up my N5 yesterday. Seems a good phone. Screen looks great coming from a N4. Not a ground breaking difference but that was always to be expected. :)

Bought one today, well pleased. Screen is so much better!

Is the only way to txt through Hangouts?

You can download a number of apps through the Play Store to text - personal favourite is Textra or TextSecure. Textra is a SMS replacement, but TextSecure is much like the iPhone way of texting - if both users have TextSecure it'll send an encrypted message through a data connection, or it will just send a text like normal if the other user doesn't.

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
You can download a number of apps through the Play Store to text - personal favourite is Textra or TextSecure. Textra is a SMS replacement, but TextSecure is much like the iPhone way of texting - if both users have TextSecure it'll send an encrypted message through a data connection, or it will just send a text like normal if the other user doesn't.

Cheers I'll try one of them

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I got my money back from Google for their yellow case as it was slowly and very definitely turning green!

Trouble is, while deciding what to go for, I've dropped it and smashed the screen. Grrrr.

Are there any recommended repairers? A quick Google has indicated a cost of around £150!

Anyone had theirs repaired/replaced already?

work for BMW
Well, I got my money back from Google for their yellow case as it was slowly and very definitely turning green!

Trouble is, while deciding what to go for, I've dropped it and smashed the screen. Grrrr.

Are there any recommended repairers? A quick Google has indicated a cost of around £150!

Anyone had theirs repaired/replaced already?

Yea I got my screen repaired about a month ago for 130 euros. (in france) it's a f**k lot of money considering the price of the phone. Alternatively buy a screen on eBay for £60 and fit it yourself using YouTube videos

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Yea I got my screen repaired about a month ago for 130 euros. (in france) it's a f**k lot of money considering the price of the phone. Alternatively buy a screen on eBay for £60 and fit it yourself using YouTube videos

I'm not hugely technical so not sure I could trust myself pulling it all apart. Considering the cost of the screen replacement I have considered just buying a brand new handset with warranty. Not sure what to do. Hmmmm.

work for BMW
I'm not hugely technical so not sure I could trust myself pulling it all apart. Considering the cost of the screen replacement I have considered just buying a brand new handset with warranty. Not sure what to do. Hmmmm.

Watch a video now and decide how technical is, I think it's relatively straightforward. I had the same dilemma but I wanted it repaired as I wanted the ease. Of keeping all my pics and apps instead of starting again

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a Spigen ultra fit, it doesn't give the best protection but it's good enough to keep the phone in good nick, most of the time I don't realise I've got it fitted which is perfect.

This just arrived following your recommendation, looks and fits brilliantly! Thanks for the advice!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Smashed screen update...

I decided against a DIY repair, and even back-street repairers wanted £150-£180 to do it.

So I'm claiming on insurance...hopefully get it sorted ASAP as it's a right pain not being able to call anyone on it!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Camera update is available.
There is a new background blur feature (not that great) and they have taken the timelapse option from video.
Layout has changed too.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My brother got the S5 last Friday and was comparing earlier. Switching and opening apps is MUCH faster on my nexus

Bit of useless info there

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
4.4.3 update is available now. Had mine come through last night.
Not much has changed from what I can see. New contacts and dialler display are the noticeable ones. Think the rest is just bug fixes.

CPW are selling the 16GB version for £249.99!!! I was going to get the 32GB from google direct... but wondering if I could live with 16GB!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Impulse buy today... nexus 5 from CPW!

Just going to order a case or 2 to try out plus screen protectors.

Which cases you going for? Really need to get one for mine as I've dropped it twice already (pissed up)