ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What phone to replace Nexus 5?

So I've had a Nexus 5 since they were released in 2013. I pre-ordered then at around £300 and got a phone that was perfect for me:
  • Enough power to work smoothly - I cant stand laggy interfaces when flicking between apps, but I'm no gamer
  • Large, high quality screen in a phone small enough to hold comfortably - lots of stuff seems to be getting too large now
  • Reasonable battery life (could be better as always)
  • Decent camera (my phone is used far more often than a 'real' camera as it's always on me)
  • Vanilla android
So when I broke it in 2016 I replaced it like for like as I didnt fancy the 5x or 6p. The new one now has some major overheating issues and I CBA chasing around after it so I'm looking for a 'similar' replacement.

Sadly, there dont really seem to be any sensible alternatives, I'd like to stay android, however samsung's version for instance is awful and I like the vanilla Google version with regular updates, but Google only offer the Pixel, which is too expensive at £450. I bought my partner a Oneplus x last year, but they've stopped doing those and the 5 is £450 again.

It must be possible to buy a handset which does what the Nexus 5 did 4 years ago, for a lot less than it cost 4 years ago so I've been looking at budget phones including:
  • LG G3 or G4 - quite nice really, felt better in the hand and seemed quick enough in normal use.
  • Moto G5 - a bit pasticy but otherwise seemed ok
  • Moto E4 - FAR too laggy
  • Lenovo P2 - havent managed to find one in a shop!
Anyone gone down the budget route and got any recommendations?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Oneplus 3t?
Brand new, 64gb.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142466168070

They have the 3 too.

I'm currently on a 6p (I've had to go back to the 5 a few times whilst this has been repaired) and I think I'm going to stick with it for a while. Nothing really excites me at the moment.
Agree with what you say about the Samsung interface, it's just awful.

My dad bought a cheap ish LG but I can't remember the model. He's fairly happy with it coming from Apple.

Oneplus 3t?
Brand new, 64gb.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142466168070

They have the 3 too.

I'm currently on a 6p (I've had to go back to the 5 a few times whilst this has been repaired) and I think I'm going to stick with it for a while. Nothing really excites me at the moment.
Agree with what you say about the Samsung interface, it's just awful.

My dad bought a cheap ish LG but I can't remember the model. He's fairly happy with it coming from Apple.

Somehow £300 for a nexus 5 from Google was alright, but £360 for a Oneplus phone with limited warranty support through an ebay reseller is a little more risk that I'd like. The oneplus X was great when it was direct from oneplus for £220.

Yeah I dont know why everyone has to ruin android, it's not like when you buy a dell laptop you get some shitarse version of windows....

OnePlus 5 is wonderful.. depends on budget.

I have a year old OnePlus2 you can have for £100...

I'm sure it is! The Samsung S8 looks nice too, but then I'd feel like I had to take care of it and avoid using it for taking pictures of stuff in the garage and whatever.

will drop you a PM