ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google Nexus 4

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Just downloaded Nova Launcher Prime, it's absolutely fantastic. It allows a lot of personalisation to the home screen including the little unread numbers on apps such as phone, messages and emails which works very well.

Be patient for the update, it'll be coming over the next couple of weeks (unless you want to flash it manually yourself).

If you're on a custom rom, you will not get the OTA update.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I got it last night on both my n4 and n7?

I just wondered if anyone had noticed a difference. It seems a little faster and the camera is better. Cant really notice any other difference..

I got it last night on both my n4 and n7?

I just wondered if anyone had noticed a difference. It seems a little faster and the camera is better. Cant really notice any other difference..

It's only a little incremental update. You'll see a much snappier performance due to the new SSD management in the software (especially on your Nexus 7), Bluetooth for audio streaming has been fixed too. It's just a lot of stuff in the background that has been optimised and fixed.

Are there plans to replace the current Nexus 4 with another? The current model has been out a while now and I can't see any signs of a new one having been announced etc.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I got the update for my Samsung Nexus a few nights ago.
Only major thing I have noticed is the camera settings.

I imagine the new Nexus will be out around September/October? That's the usual time for them isn't it?
Not sure who is making it though but I it will probably be what I go for when my contract is up in January.

Edit: LG have apparently ruled them selves out of making the 5.

Lots of rumours about it though, all seem to mention 3gb ram, up to 64gb storage, 1080p hd and Key Lime Pie operating system.

Google have pulled the N4 from sale now so I imagine it won't be too long.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the sort of time I was expecting to be announced/released.

My contract is up end of next month on my S2, so will hold fire on sorting out a new deal until some more Nexus news is released.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm not even sure there will be another nexus, the idea behind the nexus was that it was a developer phone running an unfettered version of android.

Given that the big boys are now starting to do "Google editions" of phones I don't see what Google get out of it, apart from zero profit.

I expect to see a Google edition of the moto phone.

I suspect the nexus 4 will be the last of the real smartphone bargains.

Then again, who knows....

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The camera settings on the new version are actually usable, whoever decided to lay them out in a circle as in previous versions was an idiot!

New nexus will be in November. Whoever has the best hardware/tech at the time will be produce it. Would love HTC or Sony to make the next one!

When is it likely that a new one will be announced?

I am getting itchy feet now that my contract has expired on my S2 and I am trying to hold out from buying the HTC One.

When is it likely that a new one will be announced? I am getting itchy feet now that my contract has expired on my S2 and I am trying to hold out from buying the HTC One.

Will be a couple of weeks beforehand. If you get a new phone every year go for the HTC One, it's an amazing phone. If you don't upgrade that often go for the new Nexus as it'll get more frequent updates.

I usually lock myself in to a 24 month contract as I don't mind keeping the phone for a couple of years.

Meh, I'll keep the S2 for a bit longer until I can make my mind up.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Looking forward to the new nexus, i already have a buyer lined up for my nexus 4 at an agreed price so all good there! Personally after using my mates Xperia Z id quite like to see Sony make the new one however ive read that its going to Motorola?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Looking forward to the new nexus, i already have a buyer lined up for my nexus 4 at an agreed price so all good there! Personally after using my mates Xperia Z id quite like to see Sony make the new one however ive read that its going to Motorola?

I believe the new Motorola / Google phone is out today 1st August.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I believe the new Motorola / Google phone is out today 1st August.

Very much doubt that. Nothing has been confirmed by anyone and Google are looking at Asus (I think) due to their great reviews and feedback of the Nexus 7.

I've got until January until my contract is up. If there is no new Nexus I might give the HTC One a try as that's supposed to be brilliant.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I think padso may be right. Google bought out Motorola which is currently losing them money. They are looking at releasing the Moto X or something..

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know they are releasing the MotoX. Not sure if that will be a nexus device though.

Thought there would have been more talk of it though if it is launching in a few hours in America?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Very much doubt that. Nothing has been confirmed by anyone and Google are looking at Asus (I think) due to their great reviews and feedback of the Nexus 7.

I've got until January until my contract is up. If there is no new Nexus I might give the HTC One a try as that's supposed to be brilliant.

The last Motorola only phone was the RAZR series. Google now own them and this latest phone is the first done since the purchase.

No mention what's happening with Nexus yet either but it would make sense for Google to use their own company Motorola in the future.

The last Motorola only phone was the RAZR series. Google now own them and this latest phone is the first done since the purchase.

No mention what's happening with Nexus yet either but it would make sense for Google to use their own company Motorola in the future.

Google have said they intend to run Motorola as a separate brand and they will get no preferential treatment. The only reason they bought Motorola was for the patents they hold to defend themselves against Apple. Which were used as defence very recently IIRC.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the moto - X won't be the new Nexus ad it's only available in the USA apparently.
I've not watched the reveal yet as I was in bed early for work today but my mate watched and said it won't be available anywhere else.

Jesus. Unbelievably cheap!

Obviously gearing up for the next one I assume.

My girlfriend broke the screen on hers and was quoted some ridiculous price to get it fixed - will just tell her to pick up a new handset!

I was debating with the idea of waiting for the next Nexus, but love the current one and think at that price I may as well just take the plunge.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Had an S3 LTE for about 6 months. Decided I was bored of it so off to Mazuma it's gone and I've got myself one of these.

After getting over the initial lack of AmoLED screen on the Nexus 4 it's a million times a better phone. Vanilla android is far superior AND everything just seems smoother.

Such a bargain at that price too.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Had an S3 LTE for about 6 months. Decided I was bored of it so off to Mazuma it's gone and I've got myself one of these.

After getting over the initial lack of AmoLED screen on the Nexus 4 it's a million times a better phone. Vanilla android is far superior AND everything just seems smoother.

Such a bargain at that price too.

It has a better PPI than the S3 though so not all bad..

172 cup
I bought a 16gb for £200 last week, bought the wife one too

great phone.... if you can live with the wifi dropping out all the time :rolleyes:

its a very common problem on the nexus running 4.3

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Mine never drops out... Touch wood. CyanogenMod need to release an installer. Pretty sure they said it would be released this weekend. If it is I can turn LTE on as that's the only thing this is lacking considering I'm still in contact with EE for it