ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf GTI Brake Advice

Edition 30
Bit cheeky as I'm not a paid member anymore but I know this place is the fountain of all knowledge.

So I'm upgrading brakes on the ED30 and have been getting mixed prices and info about which route to go.

Brembo's would be my first choice but I've seen some at £350 and some at £650 and there's not much difference from what I can see.

MOT due in a month and current brakes are on the way out so need to pull my finger out and get something ordered.

TIA.

How come you're upgrading, track work? I find the brakes on the VRS which are exactly the same as the ED30 excellent. I use DS2500 all-around on the road and DS1.11 front/DS2500 rear on track and they are superb. Best single pot set up I've used TBH.

Other front options are:

TTS
S3
R32
Leon Cupra

They are single pot but run 345mm discs instead of 312mm.

Edition 30
I always thought the brakes on both my golfs were the worst part about the car tbh.

Literally just looking for new discs and pads all round. Want something to impress but not kill me on the pocket as I don't do that many miles.

Are EBC any good?

Listerine & Poledo
If the existing bits are "on their way out", then whatever you replace them with will feel 678659785% better.

So, unless you're going to turn into a road/track/road warrior, a new set of standard discs, pads and fresh fluid will feel like a whole new world.

Edition 30
If the existing bits are "on their way out", then whatever you replace them with will feel 678659785% better.

So, unless you're going to turn into a road/track/road warrior, a new set of standard discs, pads and fresh fluid will feel like a whole new world.

Very true, but as I've said I was never really impressed with the standards on both my golfs.

Just feel like something I should spend more money on but not go silly with.

Last edited:
  Edition 30
So I've found a full set of EBC discs and pads (Yellow Stuff) for £462.00

Brembo Xtra discs and HP pads come in at £545.00.

Worth the extra £80??

No need for fancy discs, OE Pagid or Brembo HC from ECP are more than enough. Save your money seriously.

If you are adamant on the above go with the Brembo set-up.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I can supply you.
Usually I'd say go for the plain Brembo unless you really want the looks or need the extra cooling of the Xtra discs.
If you want a little bit more confidence on braking bite, keep standard at the back and pep up the front a little to give some more initial bite.

Edition 30
Hi Kev,

Do you wanna let me know what exact set up you would suggest? And send me some prices?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I can supply various set ups for your Golf and regularly supply owners brakes who have put different set ups from other models in the VAG range. What ever route you want to go I can get you sorted @Toby