ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why? Why do dealers do this???

2004 Racing Blue 182
So, I've just been to see an Inferno 182 with both cup packs at a garage in Halifax, its got 106k on it, looks tidy in the photos, but its at £2,695, so for that price i'm expecting it to be really tidy with a massive wedge of history!

I gets there (only local, hence me looking before i've sold the GTi), and the guy asks if I want him to start it because the battery is flat. well, yeah!

So he shows me to the car in the garage out back. The bonnet is already open, doesn't look particularly clean under there, a crappy induction kit hanging loose, etc. A quick look round and i find some pretty deep scratch on the o/s rear quarter, the rear wiper is hanging off, the car is covered in a really thick layer of dust. It had a set of Eibach springs on the back, couldn't see the front as couldnt get under the front end properly

I'd done the usual MOT checks before i went, hasn't been MOT'd since March 2014, but that may mean its been in storage. I spoke to the guy and he said they took it in part ex 4 years ago, its been up for sale for 2 years, he's had some interest but not much. Said the belts and dephaser hadn't been changed to his knowledge either.

When I opened the door, i realised why it hasn't sold!!! The seats, seat belts, carpets and steering wheel were covered in a really thick layer of mould, it smelled really bad in there. There was missing bits of dash and trim, the wheel was pretty worn away from what i could see of it under the mould!

The photos must have been taken years ago as the car definitely doesn't look like that now. Such a shame.

I was hoping to have a cheeky test drive in it, but not without a hazmat suit:tearsofjoy:

I reckon, at the very least, it needs the dephaser/belts doing, a bloody good steam clean and valet, new brakes all round, probably got sticky calipers on it too, a full service, MOT, and some general TLC. No way is it worth £2,695, more like £695! Was tempted to make a cheeky offer, but it's more of a project than I want to take on really. Especially as work are being funny buggers with my contract at the minute.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
To be fair looks alright there, apart from broken rear wiper and the fact it’s had a bumper respray

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If it's been sat for a couple of years it'll probably want a couple of tyres as well, chances are they'll be flat-spotted.

You should have been blunt and asked the dealer why he even bothered showing the car to you, it sounds absolutely shocking.

When I opened the door, i realised why it hasn't sold!!! The seats, seat belts, carpets and steering wheel were covered in a really thick layer of mould, it smelled really bad in there.

it needs a bloody good steam clean and valet

Thats probably what caused the mould in the first place to be honest.
Steam clean a car and then shut it up and leave it in a cool spot, it'll be full of mould very quickly.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I wouldn't even entertain buying one of these off a dealer to be honest. Buy off a forum member, or if you can find a cheap one locally then privately.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don’t like buying off a dealer for any car, you don’t know it’s history or what the last owner was like and end up generally paying more for the car.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think I must be tight, but I'd struggle to justify paying money like that for a 13-year old boggo Clio. Paid £1350 for my 172 Cup about 3.5 years ago with similar mileage and in better condition than that one sounds. I do like a 1*2 but values seem bit strong for my tastes. That's 197 money now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I don’t like buying off a dealer for any car, you don’t know it’s history or what the last owner was like and end up generally paying more for the car.

Obviously there are reasons you pay more. I know I’m biased but the company I work for represent a good place to buy a used car.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I think I must be tight, but I'd struggle to justify paying money like that for a 13-year old boggo Clio. Paid £1350 for my 172 Cup about 3.5 years ago with similar mileage and in better condition than that one sounds. I do like a 1*2 but values seem bit strong for my tastes. That's 197 money now.

197 money maybe. But for a pretty basic 197 and let’s be honest, there a bit crap.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon, at the very least, it needs the dephaser/belts doing, a bloody good steam clean and valet, new brakes all round, probably got sticky calipers on it too, a full service, MOT, and some general TLC. No way is it worth £2,695, more like £695! Was tempted to make a cheeky offer, but it's more of a project than I want to take on really. Especially as work are being funny buggers with my contract at the minute.

Not blowing my own trumpet here, but aesthetically, mine is in far better knick, but with higher mileage.

Your valuation probably would be fair, given the amount of worked needed for it to be put right.

Here's a recent valuation of mine - lol.

upload_2018-2-1_13-0-34.png

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
197 money maybe. But for a pretty basic 197 and let’s be honest, there a bit crap.

Yeah but this is only a pretty regular 182 in a slightly fancy colour. Cup pack is hardly rare. I think they're probably both a bit crap if we're really honest 😂

Clio 182
That price is high even if it was in nice condition. Get the belts and service done and watch that price go up like a rocket lol.